Banbury in N scale - A great time at the Abingdon in March 2024

roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

No work done on the layout for a few days now. However I did manage to find a suitable etched radio mast to put in the Network Rail yard. I knew Some one did this but couldn't remember who till I saw the BLMA kit.

A few white metal air con units from Ten Commandments will also be added prior to the Ally Pally show in a weeks time

I was tempted to purchase a few more locos but the spare slots in the stock box are waiting to be filled with the new Farish class 70's which are due to be released soon.

A busy few evening s and early mornings ahead!

• RMweb Gold

Aftef the weekend break playing with Czech trains, last night and this morning it was back to working on Banbury.

The radio mast and more fencing between the Network Rail compound and the carriage sidings were added and painted last night then this morning a little bit of ballasting etc to fill in thr holes drilled for the fencing..

The mast is a BLMA etch.It should reslly be quite a bit taller but I doubt it would remain on the layout for long. I have already knocked this one!

Plenty more to do this week as time permits.

This board has been set up in the living room hence not the best lighting for taking photos this morning but it does show the progress.

Ian

post-1557-0-77801800-1363676898_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian

That BLMA etch looks nice, however I suspect that as you say it will get knocked about a bit!

On our club layout the lighting towers (etched TPM ones) have small magnets fitted, and similar in the baseboard, and they just self locate for operating sessions.  And if they get knocked they don't usually get damaged!

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ben

I have used PVA glue in the hope that it will come away if knocked but am still sceptical about that so was considering using small bits of Velcro.

However your method using megnets i sounds the best solution. I iwll have to look for some magnets as I am sure there are some packed away in the garage.

Thanks for thatsuggestion.

Regards

Ian

• RMweb Gold

A couple of photos this morning

The temporary ticket office is now in blue. Just needs the red trimmings and roof pintted prior to spraying with Dullcote. The second one will go in front of this when I decide how to do the much wider corrugations for the sides.
post-1557-0-58194500-1363763164_thumb.jpg

The Euro 66 is afarish one with Precision Decals. This is a loco I have been doing for some one else. It doesn't have a decoder in it but it will do a few runs on the layout at Ally Pally this Saturday before he takes it home.
post-1557-0-62361400-1363763336_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

A heads up for another train to model for you, this coming sunday wrexham are playing in wembley apparently, ATW are running a special service from wrexham to wembley stadium and return with the arriva 67 MK3 and DVT set, Arriva are running it as far as new st then a chiltern driver taking over from there for the run south

Im cover so hopefully i can get to photograph it departing new st or i may run out to tyseley for some pics if i dont get a job

• RMweb Gold

Here are he last few photos before the layout is set up again at Ally Pally.

The first of the two ex Aylesbury parkway ticket office buildings is now painted and glued in place. The roof needs a bit of weathering and some grass growing around it but thats for another day.

post-1557-0-66400900-1363903447_thumb.jpg

The crash barrier around one of the shore supplies is now in place.

post-1557-0-25296700-1363903464_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

After packing the layout away last night attention turned to getting the touch screen PC working with the Locobuffer interface. RR Circuits have now produced a WIndows 8 compatible set of drivers. However it took me some time to get the old non working drivers uninstalled. 

Eventually I got it all working then the other touchscreen pc linked to the main one using the JMRI loco server settings.

Previously we were using three PC's but the main one is quite old and at Tonbridge then the RISEX shows, the whole DCC would lock up until the Locobuffer was disconnected. We eventually worked out that there was too much connected to the old PC . So with one of the other PC's disconnected everything worked Ok.

All seems to be working now but the real test will be when its all connected to the layout and the stationary decoders that work the turnouts, when we set up at Ally Pally tomorrow morning. This will give us the track plan at each operating position showing which way the turnouts are set. Our biggest issue recently has been with operators forgetting to check the turnout positions so these screens will hopefully reduce this problem.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

Another train for you to model, whilst out at Aynho part demolishing the old lamp hut (or it might have been the toilet) last Thursday after a member of Chilterns management reported some of the corrugated iron flapping and blowing around loose. West Coast 33 Jim Martin went by pulling three tatty Anglia DBSOs (least thats what I think thats what they where.. Snowing again today and only limited fuel for the point heater gennys (we did report them getting low some time ago!) Oh joy!

Edited by Eggesford box
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A couple of shots taken today at Ally Pally

Gordons 2 x 5 car super Voyager set heading towards Birmingham
post-1557-0-97866600-1364066015_thumb.jpg

A general shot during a gap between trains allowing for the tamper to head North on the mainline
post-1557-0-61135400-1364066044_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Another show over.

We were dismantled 20 minutes after the show closed and once the car was in the loading area we were away from Ally Pally in 45 minutes. Luckily the football at Wembly over ran so it was just over an hours trip back home and the layout safely stored.

The first hour of the show we had theu usual gremlins with some locos failing despite being checked prior to the show and some wagons uncoupling etc. One thing I did learn about the Dapol magnetic uncouplers is that if the trip pin is set in the centre then it will foul the one of the wagon you are trying to couple and therefore they won't couple. So a quick check of the couplers has now resolved this issue. The Dapol couplings are now proving their worth and I have now made the decision to convert all locos and outer ends of any rakes to these. This probably will be complete by the DEMU Showcase exhibition in the Summer.

We only had an hour to set up on Saturday so we didn't get any time to run the trains bar one, prior to the early opening.

After the first hour the layout settled down and I was generally pleased with the way most things went. We still have operator errors and that includes me as we try to shuffle trains behind the scenes whilst driving one out front to keep plenty of trains moving but we aren't that good at multi tasking and end up with mishaps!!

However I am now much happier with the way the layouts performing.

By Sunday we had the track plans on both touch screens fully working with no hanging of the DCC system that we had experienced in previous shows.

With some good bargains on offer at the show theres even more DMU's and locos to detail and find homes for in the stock trays.

Some cheap function only decoders have been obtained to fit in the dummy driving cab coaches of the Farish 168's so that the head and tail lights can be made to work in one set. If this proves successful, then the remaining 8 sets will also have the same treatment.

Thanks to all those who stopped by for a chat at the show and apologies if i didnt get to chat to some who did want to.

The next outing for the layout is Railex near Aylesbury in May so plenty of time to do more work on the layout.

Ian

post-1557-0-03921000-1364158959_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-93598000-1364158970_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-58003900-1364158983_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-83186800-1364158993_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Looks brilliant - have to see this sometime! Are they Dapol Voyagers?

The two 5 car Voyagers are Dapol. Thye were just visiting on Saturday but may well be seen again at future shows.

At the weekend I purchased a second Farish XC set These will now have Tomix couplers fitted so that they can also run in multiple.

Ian

The two 5 car Voyagers are Dapol. Thye were just visiting on Saturday but may well be seen again at future shows.

Ian

Oh I think that will be the case. Just have to sort out the lights in the dummy unit, for Railex.

Gordon D

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

What did you use to get the network rail livery on your stock?

Just posted on your Network rail thread.

The coaches are Electra Graphics sides. The HST power cars are the Dapol set, the class 31 and 37 are the Farish ones and the ultrasonic laser car is scratch built on a Farish chassis.

Ian

Was very impressed by Banbury when I saw it yesterday. It was the accuracy in the smaller "vertical" things, like the different fence types and hand rails, and also the phone masts etc that I thought gave the layout something else. They were modern features that really help to set the scene with the prototypical rolling stock. Inspirational stuff.

• RMweb Gold

Was very impressed by Banbury when I saw it yesterday. It was the accuracy in the smaller "vertical" things, like the different fence types and hand rails, and also the phone masts etc that I thought gave the layout something else. They were modern features that really help to set the scene with the prototypical rolling stock. Inspirational stuff.

Thanks

the lattice radio mast survived the wekend in one piece. I will now modify it as per Ben A's suggestion by fitting magnets to the base and board , so if it gets knocked it just falls over rather than break.

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jim

I have seen that one at Banbury. Must find out what livery it was before this.

Over the last few days I have been working on a Farish 168 obtained at Ally Pally

It now has a decoder fitted which is wired direct to the pickups on the bogies.

It also has a modified front skirt to turn it into a 168/2. The light cluster will be modified when working lighfs are installedpost-1557-0-89311900-1364370740_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 6