Banbury in N scale - A great time at the Abingdon in March 2024

roundhouse

Hi,

the black rubber walkway (Strail) was put in for the water board. They later tried to sell it to Network Rail who declined. After some time the water board realised it would cost them to have it removed so Network Rail ended up getting it for free for use surfacing other crossings.

• RMweb Gold

Hi,the black rubber walkway (Strail) was put in for the water board. They later tried to sell it to Network Rail who declined. After some time the water board realised it would cost them to have it removed so Network Rail ended up getting it for free for use surfacing other crossings.

Thanks David.

Would never have guessed that.

Ian

Hi,

On Thursday they had the planning permission granted by one vote apparently for the new multi storey car park by Chilterns control centre in Merton Street. Something had to be done as the industrial units on the Tramway industrial estate currently being used for overflow car parking have to be vacated soon. I believe the short stretch of road at the back of the station leading to Tramway has been purchased from a private owner which will enable the bollards to be removed and traffic will be able to exit the station from there as well as on to Bridge street.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks David

Looks like Banbury will never be the same again once the car park is constructed!

Once I have finished adding the trunking to the area just below the road bridge in the next hour or so I will move on to adding more detailing in the vicinity of the proposed new car park.

Will be setting up some of these boards shortly so I can take a final few more photos for an article.

Ian

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

Simon

The layout is set in 2011 as there are a few changes that have already taken place but we will tun trains outside this period for variety.

A few photos of the North end showing todays work.

The lamp posts now have the red band plus some DO NOT PASS THIS POINT signs and the track speed restriction sign for platform 1

post-1557-0-60955600-1362331387_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-65487200-1362331433_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-06452700-1362331460_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Thanks Jim.

A couple of nice shots there.

I need to get hold of more ex WSMR class 67's!

Interesting as to why it was there. Had it failed or whas it enroute soemwhere awaiting a different driver I wonder.

Note that the black rubber walkway / crossing across the sidings and Up freight loop (was to the left of 67010) has now gone. I presume that used to be to allow road / rail maintenance vehicles to access the tracks. The one on the model is staying!

Ian

Hi Ian

67010 was at Banbury as we had been using it for route learning Crewe. We took it back as far as Banbury so a Marylebone driver could pick it up later in the day to take it back to Wembley for an "A" exam. Two weeks before hand we had left the The Aylesbury bubble car, 55020, there at the same time. So you have an excuse for a model of that sat in the up bay as well.

By the way fantastic layout.

Marcus

• RMweb Gold

Marcus

Thanks for the info. Its always good to know why a particular move happens so that when we repeat it on the model we can explain to anyone who asks and its good to know we are doing unusual moves for a reason.

I have the green bubble car and we often park it in the North bay but must use the up bay aswell now.

Graham.

Thanks. These were taken on my smaller digital camera. I am hoping that the ones taken on the SLR will have a better depth of field.

Regards.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Marcus

Thanks for the info for Friday. Would love to get back up there for another weekday.

Mark

Thanks. Theres still plenty of details to add. Its amazing just how many details there are even for a modern setting. Tonights project was to start constructing the roof lights that sit on top of the lift motor rooms on the footbridge. I have been meaning to do them for some time. Theres also three pipes sticking out of the roof of one of these raised sections whihc may well be expansion pipes from the boiler system or something similar. You can only just see the rooflights from the further parts of the platforms but they are quite visible on Google Maps.

Whilst there is no imaginiation doing a real location, it does get the mind working on how to do some details - if they are there then thay have to be constructed soem how!

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Last night I managed to complete one of the rooflights. It has had the glazing bars added to both sides of the glazing to reduce warping. Black styrene has been used for the sides. It will be mounted on a new black styrene roof panel to raise the croof and reduce the depth of the upstand with the walls as this is shallower than I first thought.

The remaining two roof lights had more work done on them this morning with one nearing completion.

Work is also continuing on the various assortments of items lying around belonging to Network Rail towards the front of the layout.

• RMweb Gold

The roof lights are now in place. The upstand perimeter to these roof areas has had some canopy glue run around the joint to crewte a slightly rounded effect as per the fillet found on resl felt roof areas. The tower roof over the booking hall has yet to be painted as the plinth (small white area near the roof light) is setting prior to adding the overflow pipes.

Plenty more to do to the roof areas though.

post-1557-0-41385800-1362689866_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Just a few details added to the layout in the last few days due to the Kernow Thumper arriving so attention was given to that despite that I don't currently have a OO layout to run it on.

A funeral of a long time friends mother yesterday afternoon then a person hit by a train on the line between Horsham and Crawley last night made for a very late arrival home.

A little bit of touching up the roof of one of the lift motor rooms and a couple of othe details done early this morning.

However a visit to Gaugemaster at Ford this morning has now provided a few items that will get painted and stuck in place tomorrow when there will be a final push on the layout prior to Ally Pally in two weeks time.

Will add a few more photos after tomorrow's purge.

Ian

PS. Any one looking for the layout at Ally Pally...we are over to the right hand corner from the main entrance..ie. the other end to the organ.

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Gold

A good part of today was spent working on the layout doing various detailing.

A few photos below.

The small ladder from the end of platform 4 down to track level was added after the buffer stop was moved a little bit. There is some electrical equipment yet to be added behind the buffer stop and red light markers which will hopefully be working.

The last few lamp posts have also had the red band added.

post-1557-0-58166300-1362952662_thumb.jpg

I have finally got the step fitted to the Chiltern offices. Just the handrail to add before it is painted. Some parking bay white lines also to add. A new concrete area has also been fitted in place around one of the shore supplies. Once the painted concrete is dry, the crash barrier will be fixed in place around this shore supply.

post-1557-0-96371600-1362952811_thumb.jpg

A few more concrete drainage materials (that were not required when the drainage was improved a few years back) also fitted in place.

post-1557-0-00693100-1362952832_thumb.jpg

Somre more concrete trunking and orange ducting add in the up sidings.

post-1557-0-29150300-1362952914_thumb.jpg

And finally an aerial view.

post-1557-0-40850500-1362953040_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

A few photos of the Tomix coupler modifications I carried out on one end of two Farish Chiltern class 168's so they could couple together to run in multiple. They were first run at RISEX and performed very well. 

More have now been ordered so that further 168's can run in multiple. They dont allow for automatic coupling and uncoupling though.  As they also look very much like the real thing, all cab ends will be converted over time. 

Many of the inner ends already have the Tomix rapido box replacement types. Thought has been given to using the Dapol knuckle couplers but they do have a little bit of play in them whereas these Tomix ones have very little and therefore keep the inner ends tighlty coupled even on 11.5" curves. The Tomix ones are a little trickier to couple together though but I think it is worth it.for now. Eventually these three and four car sets will be left semi permanently coupled once the wiring for the headlights is installed and a new long enough stock box is constructed.

Two shots taken of the underneath. The base of the valance had to be cut away and the inside of the valance shaved a bit.and a piece of styrene fitted at floor level to allow the coupling mechanism to be fitted then a further pieace of styrene was added under this. Black styrene has been use.

The chassis floor required cutting back a little to clear the styrene base.

post-1557-0-49778100-1363091645_thumb.jpg

post-1557-0-18133200-1363091684_thumb.jpg

The finished coupling with the unit upright

post-1557-0-26357800-1363091699_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

The current task is to build the two ex Aylesbury Parkway temporary ticket offeces which are now stored next to the Chiltern offices.

These are similar but wider than normal containers so a Dapol container has been sliced down the middle and widened with styrene strips. The opening doors at one end have been removed and infilled with a section from another spare container.

The doors and window shutters will be added next plus a new flat roof.

The structure wi thrn be painted blue with red trimmings.

The current task is to build the two ex Aylesbury Parkway temporary ticket offeces which are now stored next to the Chiltern offices.

These are similar but wider than normal containers so a Dapol container has been sliced down the middle and widened with styrene strips. The opening doors at one end have been removed and infilled with a section from another spare container.

The doors and window shutters will be added next plus a new flat roof.

The structure wi thrn be painted blue with red trimmings.

post-1557-0-34629400-1363244721_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Pete

That mat is getting a bit cluttered with the various projects being undertaken recently in various scales. It has quite a lot of styrene off cuts which I should clear out but they do come in handy. Some have been used inside the container to strengthen where it has been chopped.

This modelling position is in the conservatory so as to get the best light but despite the daylight getting better as we get into spring, I am still having to use the illuminated magnifying glass when I start doing soem modelling at 5am!

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jonas

Will eventually run out of details to add but for the time being there is still plenty to do.

A bit more work was done to the temporary ticket office container.

The roof has been filled snd sanded a couple of times, the doors and the shutters to the windows started.

Will have to continue working on this next week as we will be at the Nottingham show this weekend

post-1557-0-06954100-1363332078_thumb.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 6