Banbury in N scale - A great time at the Abingdon in March 2024

roundhouse

David

Well lets hope you dont have any of the heavy rain and hail that we have just had - it was coming over the gutters as it was so heavy!

Will be a nice quiet day for you at work hopefully!

Ian

Hope so and it also means I get to miss the missuses ex mother in law turning up with presents!

• Like 1

Looks like I spoke to soon, looking out from the office at a heavily graffitied unit in platform 4. Done at 11 o clock last night apparently. Once it gets fully light going to look for any evidence as perps where disturbed by security staff and ran off down tracks. I know what I would like to do to them, no goodwill to all mankind here!

• RMweb Gold
Looks like I spoke to soon, looking out from the office at a heavily graffitied unit in platform 4. Done at 11 o clock last night apparently. Once it gets fully light going to look for any evidence as perps where disturbed by security staff and ran off down tracks. I know what I would like to do to them, no goodwill to all mankind here!

bloody scumbags!

• Like 5

Has this happened in orevioys years at Banbury.

No plans ti add graffiti to my Farish units though!

I cannot recall any other occasions of units being graffitied at Banbury

post-14048-0-24177900-1356676674_thumb.jpg

as Big Jim has said they have made a mess of it. So that is a unit taken out of service with trains being cancelled or short formed and diagrams having to be altered. None of which these so called 'artists' would have thought or cared about. Just a worthless, selfish excuse for humanity, I know what I would like to do to them.

• RMweb Gold

probably no one to move it out of the way, it went to aylesbury sometime in the afternoon.

yesterday was chaos without the added problems of grafitti'd units, so busy it was unbelievable, my 4 car 168 to london was full and standing by the time we left solihull!

seemed to be ok today apart from a failure of the loco set in marylebone

Guest 40-something

I am a fan of GrafArt, having been involved in it myself in my youth (we never done trains back then, just vacant property - not that it makes it right).  I doubt the folk that done this would realise the chaos this would cause, and the cost of putting it right.

This seems to be a tribute to a late friend of the artists.  We done a 'piece' like this on a building many many moons ago (must have been 1989 or so) in tribute to a friend that had been killed.  The building stood empty for a number of years and when it was re-occupied the whole building was repainted, but they didnt paint over the 'piece'.  One of my friends approached the owner and asked why it wasnt painted over and he was told that the owner liked it and guessed it was done as a tribute.  It still stands to this day, faded now of course.

That must have taken some time to paint - several hours even if they had planned it all out...

Best, Pete.

It would surprise you Pete how quickly these throw-ups can be done, a talented group of artists (I defend the right to call them artists) could do this in little more than 15 mins.  

Edited by 40-something
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

as annoying as graffiti is causing damage, disruption etc there are some fantastic piees of art out there, there was a cracking one on the entrance to chaddesden sidings of a black guys face with his eyes shut, looked quite eerie at night, also on the run down to ironbridge there were 3 lifesize skulls on a bridge parapet, again aproaching at night and them being picked out in the headlight made me jump on more than one occassion