I think you should come over here and work for them, Mal!

Although I must point out that every Class A railroad says that they work 24/7/365 (incl. Christmas Day) - so don't expect Chistmas off, let alone the long British break at that time.....most people do get Christmas Day off and that's all.

Best, Pete.

I think I'm working for them already, after reading Lance's new book I'll have to put in a full shift to switch Palmetto! ;)

The video it very unusual, it was made in 2002 by an english guy with a Brummie accent! Only one loco in the then new 'YN3' paint scheme and lots

of cabooses at the end of local freight trains on branch lines being propelled at speeds well in excess of the 20mph Lance states in his book.

Well worth a quid!

cheers,

Mal

Hi,

I picked up the last 2 copies of the 'Florida Rails' dvd at my local Poundland this afternoon. You can never have too many CSX trains!

cheers,

Mal

You struck lucky there.... I've looked in 2 Poundland shops and no sign of the DVD or anything simlar :(

Colin

.... don't expect Chistmas off, let alone the long British break at that time.....most people do get Christmas Day off and that's all.

What long British break, may I ask...?? Two days off for some many of us, then it's "Back on yer Heads" time..... still, one more than across The Pond, eh? ;)

• RMweb Gold

I have Christmas week off being in construction. Many others normally take Christmas week off that I know and London is noticably quieter over this period when I have travelled into London (except for the West End).

However I was surprised to learn that Boxing day is a normal working day in the USA and that worked well as we landed there on the 26th December which was handy as the train we had to catch doesn't run on holidays!!

Ian

What long British break, may I ask...?? Two days off for some many of us, then it's "Back on yer Heads" time..... still, one more than across The Pond, eh? ;)

The long break that most workers get in England, you're the honourable exception - there's always some. Think of it this way you've already got the right mind-set to work in the 'States!

Best, Pete.

There's some industries (Construction has been mentioned) that just shut down for 2 weeks over the break, as an office worker we get the weekend and bank holidays (Christmas day, Boxing day, New Years day) and that's it - many folk choose to take annual leave to make more family time or take advantage of three bank holiday days in close succession so it's very true that most places are a lot quieter, but it's a long way from being a 'given' that you should expect a long break or that it's "free".

If you're in retail you may not even get the three bank holidays...

The major US freight railroads did not shut down operations for Christmas or New Years, they continued to run trains as crew availability permitted, with reduced launches of new trains. Its been several years since I can remember any kind of a complete shut down.

When I hired on the railroad they told me I had 10 paid holidays a year, I was paid for every one of them, but they never said I'd have them off. 8-)

• RMweb Gold

True - its not free as its all part of our leave allowance but we get no choice. It does mean that we do not have to battle to get leave over that period when every one else wants the same time. my other half used to have that problem so we could never book long ahead to go abroad. The last few years have been much better.

With regards freight in the USA, that was one reasons for going over the break was that we would still see freight running and what was even better is that we cold see them from our hotel balcony albiet they generally only run at night where we were. The down isde was htat we only did one hobby shop so came back hardly denting our duty allowance between the two of us!!

Ian

The missus works for a giant orange-tinted supermarket, they aren't allowed to open on Christmas day by law but otherwise there's no such thing as a bank holiday...and if they aren't rostered to be off that day anyway they need to take it as annual leave.

But the small local corner shop chains round us are open Christmas day, so they don't even get that.

Archived