Β 

I think from what little I've already seen, that it is definitely towards the Gold end of the spectrum - there are some photos in it that need a careful "look-at" to be sure if they are real or model, especially where Kadees have had their "dangly - bits" removed - Ouch, missus! The one at the top of page six is a prime example.

You know I had the same feeling - some of the pics looks real except for the populace, I thought they were real photos with their identities removed.....

Do you have any trouble reading it, I don't. When I first got it it didn't seem as deep until I started reading it...

As this one is bound differently I just wished the title and author were on the spine.

Β 

Best, Pete.

Now I have had a chance to read it I'm interested to find out that some of my assumptions about the operating methods were not correct - very usefull. The only thing I would say is that the proofreader/publisher/printer needs to know that a "spill chequer" is not a "Context checker" and that "roll" and "role" are two entirely different things - whiever checked the print proofs needs a kick up the rear end.

Yes, it is an "assumption" corrector.

One of the few things I dislike about the 'States is the inability to find a "Crusty Cheese Role" (sic). :mail:

I guess you now know what a "Three Step" is?

Β 

I must get to bed (shortly).

Β 

Best, Pete.

Hi,

Β 

Still waiting for my copy, but in the meantime why not go along to your nearest pound/dollar shop and pick up this dvd. My brother bought this yesterday.

Β 

I hoping it'll convert him to the Dark Side, then we can build Lance's 'Downtown Spur' in his loft or double garage.

Β 

post-7898-0-49663300-1326536154.jpg

Β 

Β 

regards,

Β 

mal

Yes, it is an "assumption" corrector.

One of the few things I dislike about the 'States is the inability to find a "Crusty Cheese Role" (sic). :mail:

I guess you now know what a "Three Step" is?

Β 

I must get to bed (shortly).

Β 

Best, Pete.

It was actually "don't use the centre runround that surprised me!

Yes a lot of very interesting stuff in this book. I like the idea of putting locking covers on your turnout operating and gate opening switches to slow operation down. He's almost got me convinced to build an along the walls switching layout instead of an APA layout. :O

But I will still stand by my assertion that this is a badly designed book. Single column pages, text seems too big, overly long photograph captions, that annoying yellow highlighting on some "key" points are just a few of the details I have a problem with. It's just plain uncomfortable to read. I compared it to a few books in my collection "Model Railway Design and Planning Handbook" (Santona) "Small, Smart and Practical Trackplans" (Iain Rice - Kalmbach) and "An Approach to Model Railway Design, Finescale in Small Spaces" (Rice - Wild Swan) those are all nicely designed books that the pages are easy to look at and breathe a passion for the hobby. Lances book, not to denigrate the content (that I've already said is very interesting) feels like a weighty college textbook.

Thats just my opinion. Everyone has their own.

That's OK Ian! Of course we all have opinions (you know what they are like..) I think Lance probably does everything himself to get them published.

Β 

Best, Pete.

Β 

It does make you wonder though. Lance is a tried and trusted long-time Model Railroader contributor of the highest standard. How come Kalmbach aren't publishing Lances books?

• RMweb Gold

Mine came through from Amazon.com earlier in the week.

Β 

I have read the introduction, the last page and a few other sections so far. One section I find interesting is his views on setting acceleration and braking when using DCC - very little acceleration and no braking which is a very good point from my own experience with DCC.

Β 

In my opinion this book is well worth getting.

Β 

Ian

Hi,

Β 

My copy arrived yesterday lunch-time, less than 24 hrs after ordering. Excellent service from the appropriately named 'Titfield Thunderbolt'.

Β 

Only read a small portion so far, however, it is superb, particularly the info on prototype switching procedures, which is all new to me. I'm already inspired by

Β 

what I've read to plan a new layout and dispense with the run-around in my previous design. :no:

Β 

Β 

Mal

I guess it depends on the focus. If you are modeling a "train" then you need the runaround. If you are modeling a switching move, the last 500 feet of an industrial spur, then you don't. The fact is that someplace there is a runaround, the crew has to drop the cars by, or they have to have 2 engines and split the power to work both trailing and facing point spurs. You might not model that, but its there.

Β 

It also depends on how much "thinking" you want to do. If part of the layout's challenge is figuring out how to make the moves, then include the runaround. If you don''t want to have to think about how to organize the switching moves and just want to shove and pull, leave the runaround out.

Totally agree Dave.

Β 

I think Lance's writings maybe free readers from the notion that there must be one modelled, on a small layout as is common over here it could very easily be offscene.

Β 

I know my natural preference would be to 'write one in' to a plan just because, but I found it quite liberating running Alpha at TVNAM as the end of an industrial spur without one, it forced some different perspective.

Β 

You're spot on that the real railroad would need one *somewhere* though.

Β 

I did like the 'truncated line worked by top & tail loco's' CSX prototype posted a few weeks back though, a nice alternative - and a third method of working on a truncated line would give a good excuse to be using a caboose on a modern layout...

Totally agree Dave.

Β 

I think Lance's writings maybe free readers from the notion that there must be one modelled, on a small layout as is common over here it could very easily be offscene.

Β 

Β 

You're spot on that the real railroad would need one *somewhere* though.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Yeah, that's exactly what I've done with my new plan. The run-around siding is assumed to be further along the line, offstage. With the total layout length only 9ft , the run-around in my original plan looked un-prototypically too small. The new plan still allows both facing and trailing spurs to switched.

Β 

Mal

I did like the 'truncated line worked by top & tail loco's' CSX prototype posted a few weeks back though, a nice alternative ....

On one DVD I have of Railroads in the Chicago area, one freight working was shown being "top'n'tailed" because it has trackage rights on the Metra, and that way the switching is speeded up (i.e. not "wasting time" running round) so they can stay clear of Commuter Trains and also so they don't miss their path on the main line.... it needn't just be a truncated branch to use top'n'tailing.

Hi,

Β 

Still waiting for my copy, but in the meantime why not go along to your nearest pound/dollar shop and pick up this dvd. My brother bought this yesterday.

Β 

I hoping it'll convert him to the Dark Side, then we can build Lance's 'Downtown Spur' in his loft or double garage.

Β 

post-7898-0-49663300-1326536154.jpg

Β 

Β 

regards,

Β 

mal

Β 

Out of interest, which Poundshop? I wouldn't mind tracking down a copy....

Β 

Colin

On one DVD I have of Railroads in the Chicago area, one freight working was shown being "top'n'tailed" because it has trackage rights on the Metra, and that way the switching is speeded up (i.e. not "wasting time" running round) so they can stay clear of Commuter Trains and also so they don't miss their path on the main line.... it needn't just be a truncated branch to use top'n'tailing.

Β 

I believe some of the locals that use the North East Corridor also use the same tactic.

Archived