A question about SR passenger vans (not vans for passengers!)

melmerby

Going back to the original question (unless I have missed the answer in the discussion), my recollection is that the three ferry brakes for the Night Ferry(running Nos 1, 2 and 3 if I recall correctly) were the Van As. If my memory is still working correctly at this time of night, these were the first passenger brake vans built by the Southern, hence Van A.

Edited by Brake Compo

To try and summarise

SR GBL (Gangwayed Bogie Luggage) - BR Cor-PMV (Corridor - Parcels / Miscellaneous Van)- Produced by Triang and since by Hornby

SR Van B or Bogie Van B - Kit by Ratio and during RTR 2012 Hornby

SR Van C - BR BY - Kit by Parkside and RTR Hornby

SR Van U (Utility Van with end doors) - BR CCT (Covered Carriage Truck) - Kit by Parkside and RTR Wrenn

SR Bogie Scenery Vans (Hi arc roof bogie version of Van U also called Elephant Vans) - BR GUV - Kit I think by Jedenco

SR PLV (Passenger Luggage Van) - BR PMV (Parcels / Miscellaneous Van) - Kit by Parkside

Didn't K's do a plastic kit of the Van C? Seamed like not a bad kit at the time even if you had to make your own floor.

Didn't K's do a plastic kit of the Van C? Seamed like not a bad kit at the time even if you had to make your own floor.

K's did a utility van (CCT) with a plastic body, I've got one somewhere. Like you say, it had no floor as supplied.

my recollection is that the three ferry brakes for the Night Ferry(running Nos 1, 2 and 3 if I recall correctly) were the Van As. If my memory is still working correctly at this time of night, these were the first passenger brake vans built by the Southern, hence Van A.

I can see the logic in this, and had speculated the same, but I've never seen this written anywhere - certainly not in Gould or King. It would be interesting to see some confirmation from somewhere.

I can see the logic in this, and had speculated the same, but I've never seen this written anywhere - certainly not in Gould or King. It would be interesting to see some confirmation from somewhere.

Sorry I cannot recall where this came from it is fixed in my mind from somewhere, but I know not where. Thanks for the advice that it is not in Glould or King - that saves me some effort! There was a very good article & plans of these in the MRC c1971-72 I will dig my copy out from the mag stacks in the loft and see if this is where the idea came from, although my suspicion is that it came from reading on the ops side somewhere. Sorry to be so vague.

• RMweb Gold

Seeing the new tooled SR Bogie Passenger Brake [R4535] in the new Hornby catalogue, it looks a very nice model and will come in at £23 at Hattons.This makes me even more bewildered by the release of the poor in comparison,GW siphon g for £18. :O If the SR can get a detailed bogie van........

• RMweb Premium

Seeing the new tooled SR Bogie Passenger Brake [R4535] in the new Hornby catalogue, it looks a very nice model and will come in at £23 at Hattons.This makes me even more bewildered by the release of the poor in comparison,GW siphon g for £18. :O If the SR can get a detailed bogie van........

Presumably the siphon is the warmed over (maybe not even warmed!) ex - Airfix design. Hornby seem quite good at re marketing ancient models at not so ancient prices! Some of the sets are extortionate with old models of locos and coaches at premium prices.

Keith

• 11 months later...

K's did a utility van (CCT) with a plastic body, I've got one somewhere. Like you say, it had no floor as supplied.

I've got one of these I'm building at the mo it has an even planked body not a bad kit for its time and paid a £1 for it when I got it .

the windows are the wrong shape as the corner radius is curved instead of 90 degree angles also the end vents are to round on the top.

I have opened the windows out and just need to add frames but have left the vents as they are and still have to add vac tank and brake gear E.T.C.

Lanarkshire models make some lovely non sprung cast whitemetal buffers for these family of vans which I'll also fit.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

I used the Roxey Mouldings 4A250 detailing kit. I can totally recommend it. It comprises of replacement white metal correct pattern bogies and all detailing fittings. Replacement etched doors are also available from Roxey their ref 4A249.

http://www.roxeymouldings.co.uk/product/56/4a250-detailing-kit-for-triang/Hornby-utility-van/

post-243-0-46204200-1396110488.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

To try and summarise

SR GBL (Gangwayed Bogie Luggage) - BR Cor-PMV (Corridor - Parcels / Miscellaneous Van)- Produced by Triang and since by Hornby

SR Van B or Bogie Van B - Kit by Ratio and during RTR 2012 Hornby

SR Van C - BR BY - Kit by Parkside and RTR Hornby

SR Van U (Utility Van with end doors) - BR CCT (Covered Carriage Truck) - Kit by Parkside and RTR Wrenn

SR Bogie Scenery Vans (Hi arc roof bogie version of Van U also called Elephant Vans) - BR GUV - Kit I think by Jedenco

SR PLV (Passenger Luggage Van) - BR PMV (Parcels / Miscellaneous Van) - Kit by Parkside

Does anyone know if this list is currently up to date? Especially, is there a GBL available yet? My research hasn't turned anything up.

Thanks

Does anyone know if this list is currently up to date? Especially, is there a GBL available yet? My research hasn't turned anything up.

Thanks

Thanks

The former Triang GBL appears in their range intermittently; currently available as part of the train pack for the 50th anniversary of Churchill's funeral. Apart from the different paint job, I don't believe it's changed since the days when Alan Williams did an article on improving it in a mid-1960s Model Railway Constructor.

Edited by Fat Controller

• 4 years later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 28/03/2014 at 13:59, lyndonsdad1 said:

Re the Triang version of the bogie van, I have a number of them and wish to change the bogies. Any suggestions as to what with and how?.

Has anyone tried replacing them with Hornby Maunsell bogies? They are listed as a spare, but dont seem to be available anywhere....

19 minutes ago, JohnR said:

Has anyone tried replacing them with Hornby Maunsell bogies? They are listed as a spare, but dont seem to be available anywhere....

Pointless, I'm afraid - highly detailed Maunsell bogies would be as inappropriate as eversobland BR 1s .......... they should be L.S.W.R. pattern - as supplied in the Roxey detailing kit mentioned above.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

So, are the Hornby ones from the LSWR non-gangwayed compartment coaches suited?  I, too, have an old Triang awaiting detailing in the event that I ever acquire a round tuit, but IIRC the roof profile is wrong and I don't like the raised moulded lines that (fail to) represent the gaps between the planking.

• Like 1

Those non-gangwayed compartment coaches are models of some that Mr.Maunsell kit bashed from shorter LSWR vehicles and stuck on his standard chassis - on his standard bogies ......... so, unfortunately exactly they're the same bogies ( give or take a footboard p'raps ) that you were asking about in post number ......... er ................. oh, why can't I find a post number when I want one !!!??!! ....................................................... well, two or three posts ago.

( Comment regarding roof profile and plank "gaps" agreed wholeheartedly ......... must have a go at finishing my Chivers kit ! )

• Like 1
  • Agree 1