• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Engineering work in deepest darkest Mitcham today…

Dont go here at night, take care during the day..

surprised this southern sign hasnt been weighed in.

driver was from Plymouth in this today

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Engineering work in deepest darkest Mitcham today…

Dont go here at night, take care during the day..

IMG_5431.jpeg.e4fa2043616fb95165ff552cd380e5d3.jpeg

surprised this southern sign hasnt been weighed in.

driver was from Plymouth in this today

Did it say "Trespassers will be executed"?

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Well there was a dead fox in the four foot half eaten…it didnt use the stairs.

Edited by adb968008
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Sounds entirely reasonable!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

While we're on the drains of Sidcup, there are little clusters of these in surrounding streets near me. I started noticing them because Eynsford in Kent doesn't seem natural foundry country, but Gibsons were a prolific, well-known and long-lived supplier of drain covers across Kent and South London. A clue on date is the SUDC initials on both. Sidcup Urban District Council ceased to exist in 1934, which was also when housebuilding across the area really took off - so there's a fair chance they've been there as long as the roads they're set into.

gibson1.png

gibson2.png

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Peterem said:

While we're on the drains of Sidcup, there are little clusters of these in surrounding streets near me. I started noticing them because Eynsford in Kent doesn't seem natural foundry country, but Gibsons were a prolific, well-known and long-lived supplier of drain covers across Kent and South London. A clue on date is the SUDC initials on both. Sidcup Urban District Council ceased to exist in 1934, which was also when housebuilding across the area really took off - so there's a fair chance they've been there as long as the roads they're set into.

gibson1.png

gibson2.png

The Kentish Weald was once well known for producing iron goods.

• Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

20 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

... as was the Sussex Weald - but probably not into the era when Sidcup became urban !!?!

Agreed - the Wealden iron industry was a Middle Ages phenomenon and Sidcup was no more than a small village at the top of the hill and administratively part of the more important Foots Cray until  the late 19th century.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

21 hours ago, Peterem said:

gibson1.png

gibson2.png

I would be surprised if Sidcup urban district council extended that far- far more likely to be Swanley or even Sevenoaks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Lurker said:

I would be surprised if Sidcup urban district council extended that far- far more likely to be Swanley or even Sevenoaks

I suppose it depends where the manhole covers are located, Sevenoaks Urban District Council covered a large area including Eynsford and Swanley.

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, The Lurker said:

It didn't - but all the covers I have found so far are indeed to the North and West of Sidcup town centre in streets laid out between 1919 and 1935, so well within the spatial and temporal boundaries of Sidcup UDC  (1921-34). While it is possible that the council got lucky with some second-hand stock from Swanley or somewhere else in Kent at just the right time, it is far more likely they simply bought them new from Gibson. The firm certainly supplied over a wide area. Surviving records of the concern are in the care of the Farningham & Eynsford Local History Society, while the foundry itself is now a housing development called Gibson Place.

Edited by Peterem
bad grammar
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Here’s a few ghosts I spotted on a previous trip via London, and made time to photograph this tome round. Apologies for the poor pics though!

London Euston, when did someone last send a Red Star Parcel?

4129A297-1E03-4650-9302-02CC3351EEF1.jpeg.a29258a77fd6358f9605437ee50fa08b.jpeg

London Euston, HSTs haven’t been here for a while!

2F0FF754-A278-480D-A3B7-BABED0D6888B.jpeg.f954dd0f12ff03afaf7da22bba031a05.jpeg

London Liverpool Street, most of the clocks have been removed, replaced or at least repainted, but these two retain their NSE colours about 40 years on:

CB9A137A-4C92-4160-9FE4-0A6B3C3993A8.jpeg.b5f45936cbc258383ce33b4cecaf8f2b.jpeg
A4CE74AA-FB9E-47A8-9EA0-64454D759932.jpeg.58f0dc1e0bdcc2e218aa6b4d59c1729b.jpeg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

Here’s a few ghosts I spotted on a previous trip via London, and made time to photograph this tome round. Apologies for the poor pics though!

London Euston, when did someone last send a Red Star Parcel?

4129A297-1E03-4650-9302-02CC3351EEF1.jpeg.a29258a77fd6358f9605437ee50fa08b.jpeg

London Euston, HSTs haven’t been here for a while!

2F0FF754-A278-480D-A3B7-BABED0D6888B.jpeg.f954dd0f12ff03afaf7da22bba031a05.jpeg

London Liverpool Street, most of the clocks have been removed, replaced or at least repainted, but these two retain their NSE colours about 40 years on:

CB9A137A-4C92-4160-9FE4-0A6B3C3993A8.jpeg.b5f45936cbc258383ce33b4cecaf8f2b.jpeg
A4CE74AA-FB9E-47A8-9EA0-64454D759932.jpeg.58f0dc1e0bdcc2e218aa6b4d59c1729b.jpeg

38 years on from the launch of NSE, are there still any (original) red lampposts in use on the network?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, rodent279 said:

38 years on from the launch of NSE, are there still any (original) red lampposts in use on the network?

Good question. I expect they would be very faded pink by now!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1