• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, SM42 said:

Why wasn't I at Poznan Glowny that day?

The Jelcz may we'll have been on a tourist service. 

They still run some old buses and trams at weekends for the tourist. 

Amdy

I think a company must be out there restoring them.

20 years ago I recall them being quite grubby, dark blue in Krakow, looking ready to fall apart and bit like you’d wait for the next bus, than ride it.

like yourself, i guess, we have regular visits every year to Poland and so would notice them appearing from no where, and this year to me feels a bit like that.

But this year in particular Ive seen then in Lodz (Jan), Krakow (Feb) and Warsaw (Apr) , brightly painted and restored… This thread shows Poznan (May) so obviously they are making a comeback.

one of the things I love about Poland, is they never do half a job when it comes to renovations like this, I counted 5 last month in Warsaw, using the parking behind the palace of culture as a parking spot.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The house is called "The Old Signal Box" and even has a mine tub in the front garden:

image.png.f901571d0053378ec7ff4ab7ec131dba.png

Ignore the step in height, it's the Google Map splice.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

I presume there's a splice in that first Google picture too ....... or someone's done something very odd with signal box steeple !

I was wondering about that too.  Looking at it, the bottom of the steeple roof in the top photo, it seems to run beyond the box, whereas it doesn't in the bottom photo.  However, the top of the steeple would suggest otherwise.

Adrian

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 19/06/2024 at 09:29, Wickham Green too said:

I presume there's a splice in that first Google picture too ....... or someone's done something very odd with signal box steeple !

Certainly is a bit of dodgy AI from Google.

Moving a click to the right the steeple is OK but the brick gable has double vision and there is a ghost doorway arch disappearing into the wall.

image.png.e464cc7c53ed44e8224f020952e8de63.png

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Inverness today. Some BR era signage at Inverness Depot which is looking a little tired. Double arrow logo covered over for some reason? 

An entirely anonymous 66303 sneaking into the picture. Presumably awaiting a rebrand from DRS? Or is it getting Caledonian Sleeper branding? 

Thanks 

Ken 

20240620_142207.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium
On 18/06/2024 at 07:05, rockershovel said:

Manned signal box and level crossing at Luttleport, near Ely 

Littleport? Am I working inside a ghost as I type this?

Confused of Littleport Signalbox...near Ely

Andy G

• Like 3
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, uax6 said:

Andy G

You are the ghost signaller, and I claim my £5!

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

11 hours ago, uax6 said:

Andy G

I certainly can't remember the last time I saw a manned signal box or level crossing!

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Went into Selby this morning to do a bit of shopping, came close to 3 manned 'boxes'. Strange how some areas are bereft of manned sites yet others seem to have a proliferation of them.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, D6150 said:

Double arrow logo covered over for some reason?

The BR arrow is still used for public-facing purposes on station signs, maps etc, as a 'neutral' means of identifying a railway station. 

Whereas depot buildings will presumably belong to the TOC/FOC which owns the depot, hence more likely to display that company's branding.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, rockershovel said:

I certainly can't remember the last time I saw a manned signal box or level crossing!

Come to Yorkshire, we have loads of them.  Kirkham and Weaverthorpe still have proper gates worked by a wheel and semephore signals (Barton Hill is also a worked crossing)  There's also a load on the Harrogate line and Gristhorpe and Lebberston Road on the Wolds Coast.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, keefer said:

The BR arrow is still used for public-facing purposes on station signs, maps etc, as a 'neutral' means of identifying a railway station. 

Whereas depot buildings will presumably belong to the TOC/FOC which owns the depot, hence more likely to display that company's branding.

Prominently above the entrance to the many stairs leading up to Waterloo East. I nearly took a pic yesterday to submit on this topic! Also, thinking abut it, outside the revamped London Bridge.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

There's actually some semaphores and a signalbox at the exit of Tyseley depot in a sea of colour lights controlled from Saltley.

Do they still work?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Here's one of the several signal boxes on the Worcester -Malvern line that still control signals (LQ) and gates (But not with a wheel.)

image.png.c122e34b54d24e3ff383d77f5317169d.png

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, D6150 said:

Inverness today. Some BR era signage at Inverness Depot which is looking a little tired. Double arrow logo covered over for some reason? 

An entirely anonymous 66303 sneaking into the picture. Presumably awaiting a rebrand from DRS? Or is it getting Caledonian Sleeper branding? 

Thanks 

Ken 

20240620_142207.jpg

That's not the BR sign, it's a privatisation replacement. The BR version had the legend "ScotRail Inverness Depot", with the double arrow at the beginning and stag logo at the end.

This version is mounted in the same place as the original.

The covered over logo is actually First Group's "eff-in circle", even though it's 9 years since they lost the franchise.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, rockershovel said:

Worth following this thread (inactive for about nine months though):

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Hroth said:

You are the ghost signaller, and I claim my £5!

Whats my cut of the fiver?

Andy G

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, uax6 said:

Whats my cut of the fiver?

Andy G

If you give me one of these (as a ghost, you should have one)

IMG_2620JPG.webp.c1c13f984d844d0a89c0afd963f46af7.webp

I'll give you a brand new Charles III one in exchange.....

• Funny 5