Aylesbury Traffic - late 70's/early 80's

Barry W

• RMweb Premium

a bit late for your timescale, but telerail's 'railfreight today' dvd for the south-east covers akeman st. fertiliser traffic. IIRC a 31 + vans + brakevan (for propelling)

i must dig it out, as it says that on the way out there's a 17 mile trip, just to run round at aylesbury, no other loops etc. being available

( i think these dvds are early 90s)

• Like 1

LMS forever,

Ah, so the 08 at Chinnor is the old girl from Aylesbury. I used to spend a lot of my time in Risborough Yard watching the goings on before the closure of the Thame branch. A visit to Chinnor well overdue, combined with a visit to the Bledlow Lions to see if that is still as good as it used to be (or seemed to be after 3/4 pints of panzerbrau or whatever the lager in vogue was back in the mid 80's)......but of course since education in Leeds, and becoming a middle aged man, I have learned and my preference is for English Ales !!

Cheers and good to have RM web back.

Matt Wood

It was excellent form when we paused there for lunch during a bell-ringing tour last year.

Mike,

That's reassuring - was the bell ringing better before or after lunch !

Always loved that pub - [perhaps there should be a guide of pubs close to railways - my favourite is probably the Anchor Inn at Starcross - sitting out the front to watch the action]. The combination of a pint of ale and a railway is almost perfection from my perspective.

Matt Wood

• RMweb Gold

Mike,

That's reassuring - was the bell ringing better before or after lunch !

Matt Wood

I was only the chauffeur/tour photographer but I think the band probably got a bit quicker in the afternoon. At the next church we arrived just as a wedding was leaving so they got some free ringing - just. Alas my favourite pub near the railway, the highly convenient Station Hotel at Twyford, has been demolished to make way for upmarket maisonettes but alas it never gave a really good view of trains anyway.

I have been ferreting around the web some more and have found some interesting photos, which pose some further questions.

This one is the celebrity 08 shunting a 33, I am guessing the crompton was on the coal train?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/beerdave1745/6312661560/sizes/l/in/photostream/

This one is very intriguing, as suggested previously the freight would appear to have been dropped at Risborough... but where is the polybulk heading???

http://www.railpixtc.co.uk/keyword/aylesbury#1426045197_twg5gmW

This one is for Nidge, I presume the Paddington papers train...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianews/5842695320/sizes/l/in/photostream/

And finally a view of the sidings that the wine concentrate is bound for, the coal siding being behind the photographer.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianews/5812713647/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Colin, thank you for your photos, very useful indeed.

In the class 33 pic linked to above is that a derailed bauxite breakvan sat at an angle behind the breakvan and 08?

Also is the 33 a hastings one?

That brake van certainly looks set at a 'jaunty' angle Jim.

Also note that the pic of the 33 shows the Hartwell oil depot siding extreme left. That photo of the 33 looks like it was post demolition of the goods shed, (the black clinker timber building beyond - station side of the goods shed- was there for a while after. Can't see a date anywhere but I would hazard a guess that's circa 82/83 ?

Excellent images, I used to love the Aylesbury bay visible to the right of the 47. Between that and the multi storey there were further sidings generally occupied by vans/GUVs etc.

I'd forgotten the Hazells traffic - anyone remember the works hooter ? Used to rouse me from my bed in Broughton.

Superb.

Matt Wood

Morning Barry,

Thanks for posting those links.... as Brian Daniels took that lovely shot of 47 500 'Great Western' on the vans at Aylesbury , the chances are he was working it (I know he was at Old Oak for a while but I'm not sure how long). Anyhoo, the pic was taken after running round and it looks like the empties are ready for departure back to Padd ;)

In the class 33 pic linked to above is that a derailed bauxite breakvan sat at an angle behind the breakvan and 08?

Also is the 33 a hastings one?

I can remember shooting over the bridge in my early motorcycling days (1983-86?) and catching a glimpse of that brakevan. Nearly fell off the bike trying to get another look.

• RMweb Gold

I took a shot of 33058 bringing an oil train from the BP terminal through Princes Risborough - would this have passed through Aylesbury? same day as my other post - 24 May 1980. It's quite a long train.

Can't upload it at present - let me know if it is of use to you and I can email it or post it later.

I took a shot of 33058 bringing an oil train from the BP terminal through Princes Risborough - would this have passed through Aylesbury? same day as my other post - 24 May 1980. It's quite a long train.

Can't upload it at present - let me know if it is of use to you and I can email it or post it later.

That would have gone straight down the main line via High Wycombe; I'm not sure which refinery supplied the terminal at this point- I have a feeling it may have been Shell Thameshaven.

Hartwells had quite a few depots around the Home Counties and beyond- Littlemore (Morris Cowley branch), Swindon, North Camp (Farnborough) and Newbury are shown on my early Baker. I believe they also had a motor-dealership- I'm certain I've seen Land Rover products with their stickers on.

• RMweb Gold

That would have gone straight down the main line via High Wycombe; I'm not sure which refinery supplied the terminal at this point- I have a feeling it may have been Shell Thameshaven.

Hartwells had quite a few depots around the Home Counties and beyond- Littlemore (Morris Cowley branch), Swindon, North Camp (Farnborough) and Newbury are shown on my early Baker. I believe they also had a motor-dealership- I'm certain I've seen Land Rover products with their stickers on.

Hartwells are a major car dealership chain originally based, I think, in the Oxford are but now more widespread. I presume the fuel distibutorships were the same group and might still be although the depots mentioned above are all closed to rail now and some have been for a long time.

Thame definitely took supplies from Thameshaven for quite a few years and at one time there was a regular service from Ripple Lane, I remember on a visit to the site - outside their fence but inside the BR fence - in the late 1980s I was surprised to find that my allegedly universal lineside padlock key really did work :O

On the way north beyond the Oxford Rd bridge there was a siding to the International Alloys but I dont think it was used very often,unlike the van and coal sidings.We had a railfest with the Duchess present and a selection of modern locos,someone had chalked on the class 20,Inter Pit 125!No attempt was made to clean any locos and you had to be careful not to get covered in muck .

You'll see photos elsewhere - see Geoff Plumb photopic website of 31's in the 80's serving Akeman Street 'Industrial area' - (fertiliser depot) on what remains of the GC link to the GWR cut off route at Ashendon junction - but I don't know if these originated from Bletchley or came up from the south.

Regards

Matt Wood

Hello, sadly of course, like everyone else's Fotopic site, mine is no more. I have started a SmugMug site to replace it, but have a long way to go before I can get back to where I was, and shots around the Aylesbury area have still to be added - not that I have many. I do have shots of the 08 at Aylesbury and various other pictures, and have started to add a few to my site, though they may be a little late for the OP's model.

GMPSlide2094656058Aylesbury210-L.jpg

56 on the empty "binliner" from Calvert to Northolt, just north of Aylesbury

GMPSlide2157747521PrincesRisbo-L.jpg

47521 at Princes Risborough with a train from Aylesbury vice DMU

I'll try and get some more shots scanned as soon as I can, but as ever, I'm run off my feet!

Cheers, Geoff

• Like 1

Interesting to see the photos of the footbridge,we now have a wizz bang concrete version with a lift ,the origonal bridge went to Lincolnshire to replace an old one but the local council and residents complained it was crap and refused to accept it ,personaly I dont blame them.

• RMweb Gold

the new bridge in aylesbury always makes me think of star trek, its called "the borg bridge" or something similar

loving geoffs pic of the 47 in risborough during resignalling, especially as its taken exactly 20 years back from the latest resignalling

Edited by big jim

The public footbridge over the line was there since the station opened in 1863 I have the original linen drawing of it, in the 1950s the low bowstring deck was changed for a basic steel braced structure, this was again changed in the 1990s, I think there was also a temporary bridge put in while the Borg walk bridge was built a few years ago.

Has any one got any photos of the little structure at the end of the platform by the bridge that was once a signal box, it lasted in to the 1990s

David

Happy new year all, back with a new year bump. Thank you all for your helpful replies, and yes Colin that photo you have of the 33 on tankers would be of interest thanks.

So I have been wondering which direction did the Hazells and magazines traffic take, I presume it was London bound?

Not being familiar with railway practice, would the wine tanks and coal wagons have been shunted down to the reception sidings separately or in one trip.

Any takers on the destination of the polybulk, surely it must be the 'wine factory'?

Lastly...for now, where would any engineers wagons have come from, I gather Aylesbury was allocated to the LMS and as such LMS wagon types would be the order of the day?

cheers Barry

• RMweb Gold

Happy new year all, back with a new year bump. Thank you all for your helpful replies, and yes Colin that photo you have of the 33 on tankers would be of interest thanks.

So I have been wondering which direction did the Hazells and magazines traffic take, I presume it was London bound?

Not being familiar with railway practice, would the wine tanks and coal wagons have been shunted down to the reception sidings separately or in one trip.

Any takers on the destination of the polybulk, surely it must be the 'wine factory'?

Lastly...for now, where would any engineers wagons have come from, I gather Aylesbury was allocated to the LMS and as such LMS wagon types would be the order of the day?

cheers Barry

post-12721-0-15431900-1325759745_thumb.jpg

Here you go Barry