Assuming I have loose heeled switches but unsprung (i.e. NOT like Peco) which Caboose throw do I need?

I think I know, I just want someone with experience with them to confirm.

Btw are the Caboose ones still the only game in town?

Cheers, Pete.

Assuming I have loose heeled switches but unsprung (i.e. NOT like Peco) which Caboose throw do I need?

I think I know, I just want someone with experience with them to confirm.

Btw are the Caboose ones still the only game in town?

Cheers, Pete.

Dear Pete,

I use CI 218S N scale groundthrows as my "go-to" solution for the following

- handlaid HOn30

- PECO N scale code 80 with centre spring removed

- HO handlaid

- PECO HO scale Code 100 "streamline", "setrack", Code 83 "US", and Code 75 "Finescale" (all with centre-spring removed)

- On30 handlaid

- O SG handlaid

Under all conditions, the 218S has provided flawless operation, simple "user interface", and is compatible with direct-to-turnout mounting and "wire-in-tube" extension mounting.

I'm not saying CI is the _only_ game in town, but it's what I can readily obtain here, they work,

and IMHO I see no reason to go looking for any other solution to a already-solved problem...

For live-fire examples, check "Brooklyn : 3am", "ChicagO Fork", "ChicagHO Fork"... :-)

Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

I saw those, David. Whilst manual they are still remotely operated. What I was thinking of are the Caboose type then convert to "backsaver" levers (which is what I'm seeing over here on the prototype).

Thanks, Prof!

Best, Pete.

Pete, 2 versions of converted Caboose Industry switch throws - unlike the Prof - I leave the springs in Peco switches - these simply have the operating arm snipped off, a small hole drilled where it was, and bent Paperclip wire epoxied into the hole. There are also purely cosmetic ones available in metal - place beside the end of the throw-bar and use the point of the uncoupler to move the turnouts - if you leave the "nub" on the end of the throw-bar fit a piece of tube of an appropriate size to the other end of the bamboo skewer uncoupler and move the turnout by putting the tube over the "nub". Sorry the last isn't terribly clear, but the throw wasn't being focussed on!

post-6688-0-95152800-1323524330.jpg

post-6688-0-00780100-1323524394.jpg

post-6688-0-42964100-1323524444.jpg

pardon my observations, but on the proto87 site, those single ground throw levers look suspiciously like those once marketed in the Uk 40 years ago or more....GEm, or Wrenn, perhaps?...I seem to recall they came in a bag with a yellow card label...

I have some of the older Gem levers, which worked in much the same way as the CI one's, except the rotating drum had a groove cut into it, instead of a moulded ridge.... I re-cycle these whenever I had a change of modelling direction.....

I once made my own 'throw's with diamond targets...linked to Peco throw bars,non-functioning as far as original purpose was concerned, the targets swivelled as the peco blades were thrown...[not allowed to interfere with the maker's spec on HO modules..wrist-slap-time.

Pete, make certain whichever version you buy that you get the sprung type (with the "S" in the part number). If you don't you'll have to provide your own spring in the form of a zig-zag length of brass wire to allow the throw to go all the over and lock into place...

Archived