Railway footage in feature films and television...

Not the same thing, that has both types of engines on it, like the early test rigs for jet engines (the Lancaster was one), the whole point with the gag that was the plane was jet engined but the sound we heard was of propellers

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Not the same thing, that has both types of engines on it, like the early test rigs for jet engines (the Lancaster was one), the whole point with the gag that was the plane was jet engined but the sound we heard was of propellers

Similarly anachronistically (but also amusingly), they have the references to Striker’s military service, which we assume is Vietnam or perhaps, at a stretch, Korea or WW2 but has flashbacks with footage of various bizarre early (pre-WW1?) aircraft.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

You know, I never realised I had missed so much from Airplane! I'm going to have to watch it again now.

Airplane! got namechecked in yesterday's Guardian, in an article about memorable experiences of watching films with your children/parents (https://www.theguardian.com/film/article/2024/aug/09/sobbing-in-the-aisles-writers-on-their-most-memorable-parent-kid-film-experiences):

“Show me a classic,” my teenage stepson demanded, although what’s classic to me doesn’t always translate. When the kid was 11, we watched Airplane! together and it went down in flames. I saw it as a knockabout spoof of 70s disaster movies. He saw it as a nightmarish drama about a stricken plane in which all the passengers have been driven mad from terror. He said: “Why are they joking? They’re all going to die.”

Edited by Jeremy Cumberland
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

3 hours ago, Jeremy Cumberland said:

You know, I never realised I had missed so much from Airplane! I'm going to have to watch it again now.

Airplane! got namechecked in yesterday's Guardian, in an article about memorable experiences of watching films with your children/parents (https://www.theguardian.com/film/article/2024/aug/09/sobbing-in-the-aisles-writers-on-their-most-memorable-parent-kid-film-experiences):

You have to watch Airplane several times, there’s always something you’ll miss 😀

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

Been catching up on old episodes of The Bill again. You can tell when production moved from North London to Merton, the endless railway locations change from Midland and Western region to south of the river NSE territory. 

Already mentioned is an early episode where DC Mike Dashers Dashwood gets to meet a snout in Old Oak Common depot, complete with spinning turntable and lots of locos moving about, well the lucky Detective Constable some years  later got to meet another snout in the old disused sections of Euston Underground station!

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Just wanted to draw attention to Thursday's Look at Life, supposedly about co-ordinating Britain's transport networks in the 1960's:

https://www.radiotimes.com/programme/b-1r2yfs/look-at-life/episodes/?episode=b-dmpg97

They were certainly building lots of new things, but whether it was co-ordinated...

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Greetings All.

There's a nice one for us of the narrow gauge persuasion this sunday 18th August.

Channel 4  at 6pm are repeating the Darjeeling Himalayan Railway episode of World's Greatest Train Journeys From Above.

That's me and the missus sorted for an hour

Regards, Rich

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

I found an absolutely daft one yesterday, hokey Italian crime/spy/type film "Danger;Diabolik".  About the 'adventures' of a violent anti-hero super thief, apparently the film is best known for inspiring the music video for "Body Movin" by the Beastie Boys.  Anyway, there's a scene about 3/4 way through with the Government moving their gold, which they expect Diabolik to pinch.  So they've melted it into a massive ingot, encased it in armour, and are moving it on a train.  Some nice low angle shots of the gold train, and then a gratuitous model shot with an absolutely huge bridge (which doesn't match the real-life footage), a gigantic explosion, and the open wagon with the gold dropping into the water somewhat unconvincingly.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Ben B said:

I found an absolutely daft one yesterday, hokey Italian crime/spy/type film "Danger;Diabolik".  About the 'adventures' of a violent anti-hero super thief, apparently the film is best known for inspiring the music video for "Body Movin" by the Beastie Boys.  Anyway, there's a scene about 3/4 way through with the Government moving their gold, which they expect Diabolik to pinch.  So they've melted it into a massive ingot, encased it in armour, and are moving it on a train.  Some nice low angle shots of the gold train, and then a gratuitous model shot with an absolutely huge bridge (which doesn't match the real-life footage), a gigantic explosion, and the open wagon with the gold dropping into the water somewhat unconvincingly.

It's quite a cult film this, made at the same time as 'Barbarella', with some surprising cameo too.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

A bit of a thin one here but has anyone watched Hope Street the Northern Ireland based police series. It is filmed in Donaghadee which was at the end of a Branch line from Bangor. Many shots are of the pier and the line of rails down the pier can be clearly seen.  I've no idea when it closed but I suspect that it's well over 60 years. It also shows up on Google earth. 

Jamie

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Haven't really studied the schedules for That's TV but have occasionally stumbled on railway content like 'cab-ride' style journeys (with narration) on steam railways e.g. Ffestiniog/Vale Of Rheidol etc.

I suspect they are just broadcasts of existing videos/DVDs.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

We've just finished watching "Platform 7" on ITV this week; very good story based around the ghost of a woman who apparently took her own life jumping in front of a train.  

Mostly shot on the main platform at Keighley, with Pacers, 31s and 50s hauling Mk3 stock and P.Way trains.  Interestingly though for the station frontage, they clearly filmed outside Kidderminster (SVR); I assume it was easier to add fictional train company and place names to a station that might be closed for the filming period, which you can't really do with Keighley station.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Northmoor said:

We've just finished watching "Platform 7" on ITV this week; very good story based around the ghost of a woman who apparently took her own life jumping in front of a train.  

Mostly shot on the main platform at Keighley, with Pacers, 31s and 50s hauling Mk3 stock and P.Way trains.

KWVR resident 20 031 features quite a bit too. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Watching "The Fourth Protocol", 1987 movie of Frederick Forsyth's 1984 novel starring Michael "you're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off" Caine and a pre-007 Pierce Brosnan.

About 90 min in there are some scenes of a (very clean blue & grey) class 312 in St Pancras, then departing St P, some footage inside the train, then some of it arriving in what looks like Bedford.

• Like 4