Β 

Now this might cause problems...

Its no secret amongst my wives friends and their families that I'm a model railroader. Even if these people have only met me once. The one thing the remember is my interest in Model Railroads. So the other day, when one of my wives friends said that her father was getting rid of some old trains he had because he'd rather ride his Harley, would I like them.

OK I said I'll take a look see if I can use it. Or I could pass it on.

What turned up yesterday was a collection of N scale. 5 Locos including a Rivarossi SW1500, an Atlas RS 3, a Lima GP30 (thats pretty old) and a couple of others I forget. about 20 freight cars, (some of which had been swapped over to Kadee couplers) and a shoe box full of track and some buildings. It looks like the guy just got fed up right in the middle of building a layout. I don't know if the stuff works yet. But the last thing I need to do is build a new layout in N scale isn't it?

Β 

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Only you know how much time you have to spend on someone else's choice of trains, but plenty of people on here, in several scales, seem to find a lot of fun in a shunting plank, which might not take too much space or building time. Then, if you find it's actually fun to operate, you can fill it out with scenery etc.

Β 

Even if only 3 or 4 locos work, you have something to test and evaluate. I hope it proves to be good.

The Atlas RS3 ran perfectly. The others ran no so well. It looks like they might benefit from a good cleaning though.

There was that wonderful smell of electricity as I ran the stuff...

Β 

Welcome to the world of old N-scale locos... That mirrors how my old ones work.

Β 

If the Atlas RS still has bogie-mounted couplers, MicroTrains does make a conversion kit to move them to the pilots.

Β 

The Rivarossi SW1500 shold be ok until the Rivarossi can motor dies. The Lima stuff with their baby ringfield motors are typically only good for full speed runs around the Chrismas tree.

Β 

Adrian

Archived