Β 

Atlas GP38, GP40 & GP40-2 sounds

• RMweb Premium

I've bought a second hand Atlas GP38 with factory fitted sound but when it arrived the chassis is actually off a GP40-2.

Β 

Does anyone know if Atlas uses different sounds for each of the gp's or the same sound for each?

Each of these is fitted with an EMD 645 16 cylinder engine. However, the GP38 and GP38-2 are fitted with Roots Superchargers and develop 2000HP. The GP40 and GP40-2 have turbochargers and 3000HP. Basically the SD versions are the same but have 6 axles rather than 4 axles. The "-2" or "dash 2" in general looks very similar the changes are mainly electrical upgrades and minor cosmetic changes. I believe some of the sound decoders are adaptable to the the different sound profiles but you need to know the decoder to be able to find this out.

Β 

Cheers Godders

• RMweb Premium

I have a feeling I was watching that one on Ebay, maybe... :D

Β 

Was it the one with the UP body??

Β 

I bought it with a view of sticking the sound chassis under an athearn GP38 but after finding it a GP40-2 then put it under one of my GP40's.

I've been comparing the sounds with those off Soundtrax's website and the Atlas chassis sounds like the 645 2nd gen but less bassy than the Soundtrax recording.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Richard. Does this mean you have a spare UP GP38 body? Open to offers?

sorry, not for for sale, its now on the to do list!

Β 

Yep. :D

I wasn't sure to bid on it or not as the description wasn't mega, but the loco is fine and i am very pleased with it.

Archived