Β 

Upclose and personal with a sparkling ex-GP30

Cheers Jack - sounds promising and opens up the field a bit.

As I intimated before, I find it easier to apply clear varnish by aerosol than airbrush - I don't seem to be able to thin the stuff consistently enough for airbrush, and then spray too much resulting in those nasty heavy runs as it dries! One pass at a time with a rattle can seems to work well for me. Don't even mention brushing varnish - not only highly likely to get bits in it, but also some enamel varnishes can be a bit fierce on decals, and dissolve them, I've found...

Β 

Dear Prof; you have a better-stocked local hardware store than I have... :scratchhead: having said that, I can get hold of gloss varnish easily enough, it's satin that's eluded me...

Not sure about Humbrol - I had a can of their gloss varnish and it reacted with the paint (Plastikote, I think), causing that crackling effect... I don't want to risk that again.... :(

Β 

I've placed an order for that Ghiant stuff on your 2nd link, Jack - thanks for the help!!

Β 

Back to the OP, now...!! ;)

• RMweb Gold

If your feeling wealthy Just like the real thing do a spray satin varnish. The paint is very good and the cans are good quality.

Hi Dave,

Β 

Agreed...

Β 

Very pricey at first glance

Β 

But - Very good quality and Very good value though.

Β 

1 can did 20 OO gauge locos plus a couple of wagons.

Β 

Lasts right to the end of the can as well!

Β 

Thanks

I'm looking for Satin varnish at the moment to do that to my PGR locos, since they're kept shiny. I think gloss would be too much on a model, but they don't quite look just 'right' in flat matt finish.

Only trouble I'm having is finding an Acrylic Varnish Aerosol, if there is such a thing, as I've found clear varnishes difficult to airbrush (just me - I'm sure the experts amongst you do it all the time), and some enamel aerosols can attack previous painted surfaces. Any ideas, anyone?

Β 

Nice videos, too! I've been watching the CIRY clips on a C-Vision DVD ("Windy City Rails Vol7) and they are very inspirational!!

Β 

If your using acrylics and want a good satin varnish to go through an airbrush try a 22ml bottle of Lifecolour Gloss Satin Clear. You can buy it from the Airbrush Company (link https://airbrushes.com) and several other on line retailers. I thin it with distilled water. To ensure I get the best finish I usually spray the main colour I am going to varnish onto a piece of scrap plasticard then overspray with different mixes of varnish / water at different pressures till I get the finish I want. If you are going to do a factory painted model mix up some colours to the closest match u can get to the model then try as above. An alternative is Vallejo Model Air. I always feel I have no control when using a can and don't want to ruin my stock. I'm in the process of redecaling a Genesis ex CNW UP GP15-1 to UPY, when I've blown some Armour Yellow onto the model to simulate the patching I'll give the model a coat of satin and put up some pictures to show the finish I try to get before decaling.

Β 

Cheers

Β 

Chris M

Just thought I'd share this vid with everyone. Set in the back streets of Chicago on ex BN and ex CB&Q lines BNSF recently got the job of switching this district again after CIRY ( the Central Illinois railroad ) went out of business at the start of the year. You can see the 2 SW9s that CIRY used to use in the compound. But this is a sparkling GP39-2R ex GP30 in BNSF heritage III scheme and you get right up close and personal with her and its great if your planning on modelling one! I like US horns but this guy seems to love it more than most!!

Β 

Its also a great vid for all sorts of detailing, loco, freight cars, track, buildings, scenery. Guess what I'm building next...

Β 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ975NvNFgw&feature=related

Β 

That ex GP30 is a beauty. Not that she will stay that way for very long. That new BNSF livery really suits the old girl!

Archived