Kernow commission ex LSWR Gate Stock Pull Push Sets

Taz

Hi Dave,

The illustrations of the first mouldings have reignited my impatience, but seriously, great to see the progress being made.

I think we can trust that, unlike certain other manufacturers, the height and reach of your CCUs will conform to the NEM standard but I notice that they are only provided between the two coaches so it probably doesn't matter anyway. Are you intending that the outer ends will just have NEM pockets on the bogies?

John

Hi John,

Yes they are fully conformal to NEM specifications, but alas only CCE on the inner coaches, sorry.

cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Oh yesssssssssssssss. Those mouldings look very much like a kit.....a plastic kit.........I like plastic kits. Why bother getting someone to make them and paint them in some foreign land? Just send me the bits please.......

Excellent Dave.

Phil @36E

Not sure why some people have marked this as "funny". Seems like a very sensible idea to me. But then I am old enough (as is Mallard) to remember when Airfix, Kitmaster and Triang CKD coaches formed a big part of the hobby.

• RMweb Gold

Not sure why some people have marked this as "funny". Seems like a very sensible idea to me. But then I am old enough (as is Mallard) to remember when Airfix, Kitmaster and Triang CKD coaches formed a big part of the hobby.

Airfix wagons and Kitmaster coaches were "proper" kits but CKD was a tax avoidance dodge (no Purchase Tax on kits). The fact that the hardest part of assembling a Tri-ang Mk1 was opening the packet was just a bonus.

VAT applies to both kits and complete models so splitting production to offer both (which incurs costs in itself) probably wouldn't result in a big enough price differential to make it worthwhile even for models of prototypes much more common than these. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I prefer toilet seats, I expect nothing else in your quest to create the bestest ever Gate stock for Kernow.

If they are, it looks like DJM are already planning a larger scale version (G perhaps, when comparing to coupling size?) but has got the parts mixed up.

• RMweb Gold

That suites me fine. Coupling coaches with close couplings to loco's is a p.i.t.a on curves.

Coupling and uncoupling coaches (with or without close couplings) is a p.i.t.a on curves; just one of the reasons why nobody makes a curved uncoupler!

I've known about this problem for a while so I don't put curves in platforms and sidings where I'm likely to want to do it! :jester:

John  

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

That cabinet (which will be well-known to anyone who has visited the Kernow MRC stand at any event) has often shown a good selection of pure quality items.  That it now includes not one but a range of O2s and the first shot of the gate stock only adds to the reputation of the business as a top-rate commissioner of models and one which refuses to sell a second-rate piece.

The lengthy delays have been explained and have been worthwhile.  The results look stunning and I'm happy to sit out the next and much shorter interval until all mine arrive in the mail.  

• RMweb Gold

Oh my word!

More images of the push pull set please!!!

Rob

Appararently there are detailed differences between sets. I could not really those in the cads but could someone to point them out please.

They do look good though. I have one set on order and am thinking about another.

Edited by JSpencer

• RMweb Gold

They do look nice- I wonder what sort of vapour condenses to make stuff that good....

Les

Well thought out vapour........

Rob

• Like 2

Well thought out vapour........

Rob

Very clever to get the vapour to condense on the glass so as to form a 3D holographic image projection which is even photographable with flash. I hope they have patented it.

Then again, perhaps it's all done with mirrors....

Seriously, though, they do look great - except for my usual bugbear - the coupling at the outer end sticks out half a mile, and will result in a ridiculous gap between coach and engine. Having gone to the laudable effort of providing close-coupling between the coaches, what would have been so tricky about fitting the same mechanism to the ends?

May surprise folk but I prefer these NEM couplings to the close-coupling variant - better for shunting. Just find the CC's a little too fiddly for me.

Back to topic, and I must say that, even from an angle, those are looking to be a mighty fine set of coaches. May well have to order some to go with my Maunsell Green SR O2 (and the Malachite version that I know Kernow will one day announce especially for me... no?) 

• RMweb Gold

Having seen the case at Quorn on Saturday and Sunday, have placed order...

I think, Dave, we need more high quality coaches!

BulleidBulleidBulleidBulleid...

Sorry, did I say that out loud....

• RMweb Premium

I don't need to be bullied into Bulleid (sorry) but do need to find space for a small 1950s diorama to do justice to these items.  Leaving them boxed and hidden away would be a dis-service to all involved in their development but the layout they are intended for languishes as track-laid boards and a kit of parts because its larger and older sibling remains eternally popular and in better condition than I had anticipated after 10 years outside. 

• Like 1