Broadway Paragon SD40-2 sound problem - help reqd

I just picked up a Paragon SD40-2 and am having trouble 'unlocking' functions 11-26 on the loco using my NCE Procab. I have already got the 'option' button set for F11-F28 enabled, but have been unable to get the loco to respond to any functions above F10.

I also reset the loco to factory default (CV8=8 ) and tried turning up the individual sound levels using the CV's, but to no avail.

The loco came without the instruction booklet, but I have been able to download the diesel manual from the internet. I've read it through at least 3 times but have been unable to find a fix for the unresponsive functions.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Jon

Hi Jon,

Although I find these to be quite good models with great sound, I do think they are rather "fussy" when it comes to programming them! (unless it's just me!). Anyway, with mine - I do the following to reset factory settings! (as per the Broadway manual).

Set CV49 to 128.

Set CV50 to 255.

Set CV56 to 113. in Ops mode, you will hear "reset" when this is completed successfully.

Hopefully you should now be able to sort things out but I'll keep looking!

Cheers,

John E.

Thanks John

Problem solved. The SD40-2 release was only programmed with functions 1-12 and have now downloaded the version 1 instruction manual - the correct one for this loco.

When I did my internet search, I'd found a more up-to-date manual, obviously for newer loco releases with additional sound functions such as background noises

Jon

Set CV49 to 128.

Set CV50 to 255.

Set CV56 to 113.

I know it's not as simple as this, as different Decoder manufacturers use CVs for different things, but I would just love a clear guide like this that tells you exactly which numbers do what in each CV... some guides/manuals are rather vague, and may give the 'default' value, but no info on what the minimum and maximum values may be.... :scratchhead:

Thanks John

Problem solved. The SD40-2 release was only programmed with functions 1-12 and have now downloaded the version 1 instruction manual - the correct one for this loco.

When I did my internet search, I'd found a more up-to-date manual, obviously for newer loco releases with additional sound functions such as background noises

Jon

The one you have is a QSI-supplied "Paragon" decoder; the manual is for BLI's proprietary "Paragon 2" decoder. I find the QSI decoder to be a better runner and more stable...the P2 decoders in my Centipedes go stupid regularly.

However, I have a friend with a Centipede. And being impolite sorts we reprogrammed his one day so when he pushed the horn button the engine let loose with the 'barnyard' background sounds - chickens, pigs, cows. We can be such jerks...

... I have a friend with a Centipede. And being impolite sorts we reprogrammed his one day so when he pushed the horn button the engine let loose with the 'barnyard' background sounds - chickens, pigs, cows. We can be such jerks...

That is just priceless, Craig!!! Nearly decorated my laptop with a mouthful of tea, as I read that...!! :)

That is just CRUEL! Thank heavens I wasn't drinkingtea or anything else!

We were at his house too...let him suffer for a little while. When he'd put his train in a passing siding/loop, I used program-on-the-main to change it back. That surprised him even more.

Of course we'd not have done any of it to begin with if he wasn't so much fun to wind up :sungum:

Archived