Bacup - Mills in the hills

Jason T

• RMweb Premium

The problem with getting one building to an almost finished state is that it then highlights that the surrounding area is otherwise bare and sometimes, stands out more because of it.

Over the last couple of days, I have been making a start on the scenic formers that surround the mill, using foamboard (I was tiring of seeing doors in mid-air). Whilst I was doing so, it struck me firstly that it would be easiest to just form teh area directly surrounding the mill, e.g. the land owned by it, and then create the formers for the rough and uneven ground between it and the railway afterwards.

But then, I was looking at the mill and where the smallest building is and thinking that it would be logical for that to back onto a road. Likelyhood is that there would be other buildings on the road but there isn't enough room at the back for buildings facing it, so instead I came up with the idea of having yet another row of houses on the same side of the road (and hence blocking the view of those opposite), climbing up a hill that continues above the height of the railway. All very well, but the angle of the mill doesn't really allow a straight road if continued because of the railway.

Solution (hopefully, if I can suss it out) is to have the houses climb and turn away from the railway, which will leave more than enough room for back yards and an embankment between them and the railway itself.

Just got to work out the lengths of the 'front' of the houses now, so that the curve of the road is consistent. The fronts will be left blank.

BendingBuildings004.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thanks for the kind comments and likes, folks. Funnily enough, one of the reasons that I held off posting this one was because I wasn't sure it would come out alright. I'm glad it did :-)

• RMweb Gold

Now the station is surrounded by buildings it has a touch of Rochdale about it. Which reminds me, don't forgot a bus or two in the old corporation colours (Rochdale and Bury?).

From memory, I think the buses in Bacup were from Rawtenstall Corporation, Haslingden Corporation, Accrington, Burnley, Todmorden and Rochdale.

Rossendale buses were formerly Rawtenstall and Haslingden.

I seem to recall the Todmorden service was operated by some joint company with LMS connections????

The only services to pass the Station were those going to Accrington via Rawtenstall and Haslingden, plus possibly some local services.

Bury buses didn't make it up the valley to Bacup but did go as far as Waterfoot (second station from Bacup in the Bury direction), where they took the Lumb Valley road to Water.

Ramsbottom buses also came into the Rossendale Valley, but only as far as Rawtenstall.

The longer distance services used to be operated by Ribble Motors e.g. X43 Skipton, Burnley, Rawtenstall, Manchester, X53 Burnley Manchester, via Water, 236 Burnley Bolton etc.

Ah, memories zzzzzzz

Steve.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

As well as trying to put together the step-by-step guide (e.g. constructing a whole new pair of houses - progressing well by the way, but nothing worth uploading so far), I have been moving forward with the houses on the hill, namely painting the roofs in slate colour. I have also been experimenting with ways to create and attach guttering (and I have a lot to do). Basically, I took some half-round Evergreen stuff and flied down one edge of it. This was then stuck onto a strip of Microstrip, and the top (e.g. the inside of the gutter) painted with a mix of brown and black to represent crap that has accumulated in them. For obvious reasons, it's much easier to do it now than when they are attached to the buildings. Once attached, they will be (carefully) painted.

Anyway, here are the houses. Lead flashing has also had a first coat of paint although it needs toning down and weathering. The paint I used for the slates, the same as I always use (a Tamiya acrylic) turned out quite glossy for some reason, despite me stirring like mad. As a result, i have tried to tone this down with weathering powders which seems to have done the trick although there is still a bit of a sheen to some of them. I'm not overly bothered as it doesn't jump out at you and slate can appear quite shiny anyway.

Housesandthewholejobbietodate003.jpg

A cruel close up of the guttering, including the Microstrip to assist with glueing it to the houses, etc. It looks like it's been raining tar !

guttersnipe.jpg

And here are the houses from further away. It will hopefully look a lot better when the surrounding terrain is added.

Housesandthewholejobbietodate010.jpg

• Like 11

I've got to agree with Jeff and the rest of the guys. That townscape you're creating is superb! I've just been looking at my own (bare) baseboards (a mere 10ft x 2ft 6in scenic area) and wondering if I should just forget the railway bit and build the town instead! Wonderful inspiration. Congrats on the BCB vote of confidence also. I'm looking forwards to your contribution!

Regards

Bill

• Like 1

Yes Bill I think I will model POST BEACHING on my next layout, anybody got any rusty rails for sale?

Andy.

Hey! You bad lad. Don't be coming on here saying that naughty B word. You'll have the Mods after us! Wishful thinking actually! Being a firm believer in putting the railway in the landscape when I see the amazing job Jason's doing it makes me realise that the only way I'm going to achieve anything close in my limited space is to either forget the railway part or paint it on the background. I could also throw everything out of the bedroom I suppose and sleep in the bath!

Regards

Bill

Edited by Mythocentric
  • Like 2

I'm loving the townscape Sandside. You just need that haze of smoke above everything like you used to see on old film reels. :mosking:

Following with interest! :)

• RMweb Premium

This thread is a year old today and whilst that may not be the anniversary of when I actually started the layout, it's close enough.

So first, a look back to where I was a year ago. Basically, the frames for the baseboard were in position although two of them still needed their legs shortening and had the Sundeala baseboard tops on from my previous layout. A couple of Templot printouts were laid on the base (and not attached) ply tops, four turnouts were constructed (none of which were used in the end), the almost finished station (started four months previously) and the first four stone houses were also sat atop the boards, along with a collection of rag-tag buildings from my previous layout.

Bacupstoneterraces068.jpg

A lot has happened in a year, to say the least.

The same viewing point as last years photo:

StepbyStepandlayout27nov12017.jpg

A few houses:

StepbyStepandlayout27nov12020.jpg

StepbyStepandlayout27nov12025.jpg

StepbyStepandlayout27nov12023.jpg

A few mills:

StepbyStepandlayout27nov12016.jpg

StepbyStepandlayout27nov12018.jpg

StepbyStepandlayout27nov12026.jpg

A bit of green stuff:

StepbyStepandlayout27nov12024.jpg

And yes, one of the shots does include progress so far on the Step-By-Step house :)

Edited by Sandside
  • Like 17