Β 

NCE DA-SR DCC Decoder - is it recommended...?

Although this is a DCC question, it pertains to US models, so I'm asking it here...

I have some new Atlas Trainman Geeps, and just want to fit simple (i.e. not sound) decoders to them.

As I have the NCE Powercab, I've been looking at the NCE "DA-SR" 'drop-in' decoder, which is listed as suitable for Atlas, Kato etc.

The price doesn't seem too bad and the spec looks good, but as I'm still pretty new to all this DCC malarky, I thought I'd ask here if anyone uses them, has experience of them, and would recommend them - or otherwise as the case may be?!?!?!

Β 

Over to you...... ;)

I have used NCE decoders for a long time, and have had no problems, in fact i too prefer them to others. I use the DASR in units like 153, as it gives fwd/rev lighting, tail lights and and extra function for carriage lighting or door warning lights!

Take the time to make sure that it will actually fit. More recent Atlas production has changed the form factor of their boards...they've gone to a short stumpy board. If your models are like that, the D13SRP from NCE is a great alternative.

Thanks for the tip-off, Craig. Looks like the best bet is to take the bodies off and have a look, first.

Β 

Always. Especially if you have purchased the equipment used, as it is possible that a chassis swap has taken place. I have some N-scale GP9s like that - the box says they are the DCC-ready chassis, but they aren't.

Β 

Adrian

Archived