The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

I'm now imagining @The Johnster as a modern-day Noah. Perhaps this time in a GWR Toad instead of an ark? Still with a long white beard - with pesky neighbours laughing - until the biblical deluge comes. But if you are in Wales, you may already be used to that. Keep the drone onboard to search for dry land. with solar panels on the roof of the Toad to keep it charged and ready to fly.

And a cabin on a gimbal to enable the layout to be operated in a storm.  Drone returns with a fig leaf found at the summit of Pen y Fan...

Noah got drunk on vul nut (walnut?) wine, and ended up having sex with one of his own daughters (and this was the least sinful man, the one that god chose to save; what tf were the others like!); the wine bit sounds like something I'd do.  I like the idea of walnut wine, mm, tasty...

I have a white beard, but it isn't long, more of a stroking goatee.  Noah is usually portrayed as bald on top, and I've got a good head of hair,  My father, who was 98 when he dropped off the train, had a full head to the end and retained some black ones.

Toad would be branded for Cwmdimbath Branch R.U., return to Tondu.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

BUTTER  then jam, then cream!

Having been resident in Cornwall for over 40 years this is obviously my preferred sequence. However, when I find myself involved in a debate between Devonians and the Cornish on the subject, I am keen to point out that the traditional cream tea was originally created on the Isle of Wight, using that sequence. This is probably a false claim but it immediately ends the argument as the protagonists scratch their heads in consternation!

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Deeps said:

Having been resident in Cornwall for over 40 years this is obviously my preferred sequence. However, when I find myself involved in a debate between Devonians and the Cornish on the subject, I am keen to point out that the traditional cream tea was originally created on the Isle of Wight, using that sequence. This is probably a false claim but it immediately ends the argument as the protagonists scratch their heads in consternation!

The winner of the Gloucestershire Cheese Rolling Race is the traditional arbiter on the matter, being a resident of neither Devon nor Cornwall. His/her decision as to what goes on first becomes law for the following 12 months.

The use of Marmite instead of jam is a criminal offence in many parts of the Kingdom.

Martin.

• Like 5
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Is it still possible to send those little tins of fresh clotted cream through the post? Nowadays if it's not clotted when it's sent, it will be by the time it's received.

• Funny 4

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

The use of Marmite in any situation is viewed as a criminal offence in my house!

But it's the best thing on one side of a fishfinger sandwich!

(Tartar sauce on the other!)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

34 minutes ago, jcm@gwr said:

But it's the best thing on one side of a fishfinger sandwich!

(Tartar sauce on the other!)

I hate to drag this discussion further from the nominal thread, but is there anything better than a fishfinger sandwich?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Deeps said:

I hate to drag this discussion further from the nominal thread, but is there anything better than a fishfinger sandwich?

It depends on the fish in the fingers...

But it has to have lashings of tomato sauce, none of this marmite or tartare sauce malarky!

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, Hroth said:

It depends on the fish in the fingers...

But it has to have lashings of tomato sauce, none of this marmite or tartare sauce malarky!

Sorry, disagree there. It must be tartare sauce, either good quality or homemade and the bread must be buttered.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

The winner of the Gloucestershire Cheese Rolling Race is the traditional arbiter on the matter, being a resident of neither Devon nor Cornwall. His/her decision as to what goes on first becomes law for the following 12 months.

The use of Marmite instead of jam is a criminal offence in many parts of the Kingdom.

Martin.

As soon as he is conscious of course!

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

My gran was "In Service" as a young woman, first as a kitchen maid and later as cook.

She came from Otterton, near Exmouth, so closer to Dorset than Cornwall. Her "everyday" scones always had just butter and jam, the (home made) clotted cream being added on Sundays and special occasions. The jam was always home made too; her plum and apple was my favourite.

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

I can not get hold of clotted cream over here. Mind you at 60% dairy fat. I not sure it is a good thing for a man recovering from a double bypass operation.  Is it easy to make?

Edited by Vistisen
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Deeps said:

2 fishfinger sandwiches?

• Agree 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, The Johnster said:

The use of Marmite in any situation is viewed as a criminal offence in my house!

Or Vegemite! Although Mrs kevinlms ignores the rule.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 hours ago, Vistisen said:

I can not get hold of clotted cream over here. Mind you at 60% dairy fat. I not sure it is a good thing for a man recovering from a double bypass operation.  Is it easy to make?

If you've had by-pass surgery, you'll be producing your owns clots.  That's why you're on warfarin

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, The Johnster said:

I fully agree, Vegemite is for me ! Regards, Tumut from Oz

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

No way, Tumut, if you want that sort of thing there's not much that will top a simple HP sauce sarnie with plenty of butter, I mean really lay it on thick but don't overdo the HP.  Wholemeal bread of course!

This is not like my cheese sandwhiches, which consist of a piece of cheese, between two pieces of cheese.  A cheese & bacon sarnie is a piece of bacon between two pieces of, um, cheese, and a possible reason to accept the existence of a divine being, because anything that tastes that good has to be intelligent design!  In my world, there is no aspect of human endeavour that cannot be improved by the addition of cheese.

I likes cheese, I does.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Well, would that not depend on the cheese?

EDIT: I, too, like cheese, Gouda being a favorite.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To add some information
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, franciswilliamwebb said:

Prostate exams?😳

I doubt that it would make them worse.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, ian said:

I doubt that it would make them worse.

It all depends on whether you are talking hard, soft, crumbly or cream.

Edited by BoD
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Well, would that not depend on the cheese?

EDIT: I, too, like cheese, Gouda being a favorite.

I like cheese.

My favourite cheese is a good strong Cheddar. The proper stuff, made in cheesecloth, perhaps with a few random blue veins near the edges.

Or a cloth-wrapped Red Leicester that's so red it is almost blood-coloured.

Bourne's Cheshire is more local to me, and surprisingly good too, especially their blue.

Vintage Gruyere from the Gruyeres region is also a favourite.

Obviously there are many products that don't deserve to be considered as cheese, regardless of what it says on the packet.

I will occasionally lower myself to premium supermarket cheese when I want some cooking cheese for a sauce.

I just don't get the point of cheese with fruit or veg mixed in.

Yes, I'm more of a cheese snob than a beer snob.

I suppose we're due a sign?

s-l1200.jpg.0b93c920e7e4678f811ce32a9fee9e82.jpg

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1