The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Jeremy Cumberland said:

My Bible knowledge is pretty good, but I wouldn't have recognised the reference if I didn't know it already. The traditional logo is absurd and well past its sell-by date, and really its only remaining value is as a pub quiz question (Which iconic British food has a picture of an insect-infested carcase on the packaging?).

However, it seems I'll still be getting the dead animal version since I have no wish to buy more plastic than I have to, and I do like syrup on my porridge, and home-made millionaire's shortbread is perhaps the next-best thing (and the closest I am likely to get) to actually being a millionaire.

Now then. Animals, living and dead. How about this one?

lot.jpg.47c9a1833a91c7f36009ab9466b25429.jpg

Or, since this is a model railway forum, what about this less well known version:

10403898_992230484137769_5148971980829306781_o.jpg.ee1bf3e477dc2be481801e43cc8272e9.jpg

Presumably it's meant to be a Stirling single (there's a better picture of one in another Bovril/GNR collaboration). Not sure about the dome, though.

I'm not sure about the bull, either. Highland, perhaps - I can't think of anything else with those horns or that colouring, although it doesn't look like a Highland in other respects. It could be a Sussex, I suppose. Most English reds were polled.

More bizarre (to my mind) are these. Anyone care to guess at the thought process that led to them?

Vtg-Bovril-Card-Swap-Single-Playing-Advertising-Say.webp.2d46daf6b22e073ef9c2ff0cc4cb3e23.webp

Bovril_poster_c1900.webp.af05218369130738642feacddc25addc.webp

I mean if were talking old logos surely this…

ZBG-700_B.jpg

i mean they died out in Henry 8ths time… yet the grass lives on… it actually tastes strange drinking it without the grass.. but the Aurochs… thats long gone.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

i mean they died out in Henry 8ths time

Never had European Bison in UK and the relative that was here became extinct long long before England had kings

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Are you smoking the grass?

The most sensible thing ive read tonight….

Look at the new model, grab a vodka, then use the grass to think about the price.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

What's the difference between a buffalo and a bison?

🐃 🦬

You can't wash your face in a buffalo!

🤣

Well you can blame the French for the mistake!

Wrongly identified by this chap, by the time the error was discovered the name had stuck with the French settlers and locals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_de_Champlain

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Funny 4

Here, you can get custom vanity plates for cars. I saw a car this afternoon which was obviously being driven by someone with a job in technical support. The registration was “RTFM”.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 2

8 hours ago, Hroth said:

The tins are staying traditional, with the original dead cat and insects logo.  The "updated" logo consisting of a lions head being bothered by a bee is going on squeezy packs and the like to make it more relevant to modern consumers, who might not get the biblical reference...

The story is even picked up in the US:

CNN: World’s oldest unchanged brand changes logo for the first time in over 140 years

Including the reference to Judges 14:14

In the biblical tale, part of the Book of Judges, Samson eats honey from inside the lion, gives some to his parents and then presents 30 wedding guests with a riddle alluding to the encounter: “Out of the eater came something to eat; out of the strong came something sweet.”

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Hroth said:

The tins are staying traditional, with the original dead cat and insects logo.  The "updated" logo consisting of a lions head being bothered by a bee is going on squeezy packs and the like to make it more relevant to modern consumers, who might not get the biblical reference...

More daft change for the sake of it. Never impressed with people who think things need to be "modernised" or "made more relevant", almost always just comes across to pandering to the banal and ignorant.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Reorte said:

More daft change for the sake of it. Never impressed with people who think things need to be "modernised" or "made more relevant", almost always just comes across to pandering to the banal and ignorant.

It's so when the idea fails, someone will come up with the 'retro' look.

Think New Coke, what a disaster that was. Fortunately it didn't make it outside of the US.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Reorte said:

Admittedly sometimes it's probably a good idea to change - a certain old jam and marmalade jar design probably wouldn't go down too well today.

And its probably not a good idea to wear the enamelled badges given in exchange for collecting the tokens either.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Reorte said:

Mostly, it seems to be aimed at the semi-literate.... 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Reorte said:

If you're employed as marketing manager for a product, you've got to be seen to be doing something to justify your salary.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Reorte said:

I thought I had stumbled into a Microsoft Windows thread for a moment  🤪

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

15 hours ago, Jeremy Cumberland said:

Now then. Animals, living and dead. How about this one?

lot.jpg.47c9a1833a91c7f36009ab9466b25429.jpg

Or, since this is a model railway forum, what about this less well known version:

10403898_992230484137769_5148971980829306781_o.jpg.ee1bf3e477dc2be481801e43cc8272e9.jpg

Presumably it's meant to be a Stirling single (there's a better picture of one in another Bovril/GNR collaboration). Not sure about the dome, though.

I'm not sure about the bull, either. Highland, perhaps - I can't think of anything else with those horns or that colouring, although it doesn't look like a Highland in other respects. It could be a Sussex, I suppose. Most English reds were polled.

More bizarre (to my mind) are these. Anyone care to guess at the thought process that led to them?

Vtg-Bovril-Card-Swap-Single-Playing-Advertising-Say.webp.2d46daf6b22e073ef9c2ff0cc4cb3e23.webp

Bovril_poster_c1900.webp.af05218369130738642feacddc25addc.webp

Marketing is weird.

Today that's the sort of thing PETA would use to make you vegan.