The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Many of their 'cookies' are called cakes for an unknown reason: Tea Cakes, Eccles Cakes, Jaffa Cakes etc.

Cakes get harder when stale. Biscuits get softer.

Cakes are classed as "food" and zero-rated for VAT. Biscuits are classed as "confectionery" and charged 20% VAT. Hence the famous court case about Jaffa Cakes.

Martin.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

23 minutes ago, martin_wynne said:

Cakes get harder when stale. Biscuits get softer.

Yes to cakes - not necessarily with biscuits. Certainly not with home-baked biscuits - which can start out soft and moist and dry out and get harder. Most home bakers will put slice of bread in with their biscuits to prolong their texture. 

Edited by Ozexpatriate
Clarification
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Whatever those things are, I do not think that I would pay two for a penny for them, they look evilly disgusting.

Anything would be better than those reconstituted Pringles!

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, martin_wynne said:

The key difference is that "Nice" biscuits contain coconut. Also usually sprinkled with sugar. And a serrated edge. 2nd row on the left:

a-cool-guide-to-british-biscuits-v0-grc3

linked from: https://www.reddit.com/r/coolguides/comments/17qthe4/a_cool_guide_to_british_biscuits/#lightbox

Several missing: fig rolls, Abernethy, shortbread fingers, coconut rings, shortcakes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nice_biscuit

Martin,

Most of those available in Australia, some of them with different names, such as the 'Jammie Dodger'.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hello All,

In"...you learn something everyday..." compartment, Martin Wynn's illustration of "The best of British Biscuits", the Garibaldi slice (?) I have always known as a date or fruit slice, (my late Nana used to buy them loose, remember that, buying mixed loose biscuits from the grocer, in our case 4 Square ?) yet a quick search of Google brought up both the Australian Women's Weekly, and New Zealand Women's Weekly recipes for Garibaldi Slice / Biscuit, first time I have heard of that !  Aldi Australia sells them as Fruit Slice biscuits,

Regards to all from Australia, Tumut.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Tumut said:

the Garibaldi slice (?) I have always known as a date or fruit slice,

Hi,

Known in the UK as "squashed fly biscuits". The fruit is currants:

"INGREDIENTS: Currants (40%), Wheat Flour, Palm Oil, Wheat Starch, Glucose Syrup, Sugar, Skimmed Cows' Milk Powder, Whey Powder (Cows' Milk), Salt, Raising Agents: Sodium Hydrogen Carbonate, Ammonium Hydrogen Carbonate."

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, steve1 said:

I’m glad the list did miss off fig rolls. Disgusting things.

steve

A recent visitor here said he hadn't seen one for years -- and ate half the packet.

Two designs -- traditional open-ended and clearly cut from a long extruded length:

2365x2365.jpg

And closed ends -- which cost more but actually give you less filling:

2365x2365.jpg

Martin.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, martin_wynne said:

A recent visitor here said he hadn't seen one for years -- and ate half the packet.

Two designs -- traditional open-ended and clearly cut from a long extruded length:

2365x2365.jpg

And closed ends -- which cost more but actually give you less filling:

2365x2365.jpg

Martin.

I'm surprised that they don't advertise "with added fig wasp corpses"* to enhance their natural credentials...

* Ever wondered why figs have a gritty texture? 🤔