The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

24 minutes ago, martin_wynne said:

If you give me the details I will fix it.

Martin.

That could be taken two different ways! 🫤

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Not for my street address it isn't. Or anywhere close to being accurate.

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your details. I have added your house and your neighbours. Also an area of woodland on the opposite side of the road. I have also smoothed out the line of the road, and added the driveway through the nearby petrol filling station. It needs someone with local knowledge to add more detail to the map (you?) -- I'm on the other side of the planet. 🙂

cheers,

Martin.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks I'll look at it on the computer at home.

Opposite is a larger property and they do agistment for a couple of horses. 

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Ok, I have added their driveway. It is difficult to see property boundaries on the aerial view.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, martin_wynne said:

Ok, I have added their driveway. It is difficult to see property boundaries on the aerial view.

Looks the same, I guess it takes a while to update.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, martin_wynne said:

Someone posted me a link earlier today to this Youtube for the Warburton line. It shows the train at various stages of the journey, from Flinders St to Lilydale the junction station, which had refreshment rooms. It is hauled by 2 'dog box' motor coaches, where they are taken off at Lilydale & swapped out with a steam loco.

Bad luck the film hasn't fared that well. I was down at Killara station seen in the video. The huts have gone, but the rest is still there. In fact I noticed that the concrete platform edging has in the last few days been tidied and refitted.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Looks the same, I guess it takes a while to update.

Press CTRL+F5 to refresh. Your  browser will have cached the image. Repeat at each zoom level.

Martin.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Thanks I'll look at it on the computer at home.

Agistment?? I had to look that one up:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agistment

it is the first time that I have seen/read/heard that word!

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Well, I just ignored it and went on my way down-thread.

EDIT: There is a lot of humor that does not successfully cross the Atlantic, in either direction for that matter. The Pacific too, come to think of it.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To finish the post
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

Not sure if this counts as a 'wacky sign', but tonight I finally got round to modelling the best bit of 'van graffiti' I ever saw in 25 years of HGV driving....

20240822_210458.jpg.26bbc131faba15b77d477c78b72906f2.jpg

Sorry I don’t have a photo but

my favourite comment written on a dirty van was a response to the “I wish my girlfriend was this dirty”. Underneath that someone had simply  written “she is”.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13

19 minutes ago, Chris M said:

Sorry I don’t have a photo but

my favourite comment written on a dirty van was a response to the “I wish my girlfriend was this dirty”. Underneath that someone had simply  written “she is”.

Yes, I've seen that as well, but 'danger prat in transit' was easier to do, and of course is a play on the make of van, too.

As an HGV driver the most pertinent graffiti was linked to Radio DJ Alex Lester's "Best Time of the Day" Show, which ran for many years on Radio 2, about 3am to 6am Mon - Fri.

Most of it would've made no sense to anyone else, but could be seen on many HGVs especially in the winter when the dirt really built up.

"Slap my Top", "ALAN" (stood for Alex Lester At Night) "Boloxnia or Bust" and more were all signs that the driver listened to Alex Lester. Of course Radio 2 went through a similar purge to what Radio 1 went through a decade or so earlier. He is now on Greatest Hits radio, doing pretty much the same thing AFAIK, but I am no longer an HGV Driver and no longer awake during The Best Time of the Day.....

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

Yes, I've seen that as well, but 'danger prat in transit' was easier to do, and of course is a play on the make of van, too.

As an HGV driver the most pertinent graffiti was linked to Radio DJ Alex Lester's "Best Time of the Day" Show, which ran for many years on Radio 2, about 3am to 6am Mon - Fri.

Most of it would've made no sense to anyone else, but could be seen on many HGVs especially in the winter when the dirt really built up.

"Slap my Top", "ALAN" (stood for Alex Lester At Night) "Boloxnia or Bust" and more were all signs that the driver listened to Alex Lester. Of course Radio 2 went through a similar purge to what Radio 1 went through a decade or so earlier. He is now on Greatest Hits radio, doing pretty much the same thing AFAIK, but I am no longer an HGV Driver and no longer awake during The Best Time of the Day.....

As a retired commercial driver, I have great sympathy for all this. And is worthy of great sympathy from all that drive at unsocial hours. However (I have to confess) that my main attention is now focused on what Jemma Warren will be doing next after resigning from Waines Transport.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1