The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

12 hours ago, jcredfer said:

Hi Jim,

I confess that I don't quite understand your comment.

The picture seems to be of a sign in a shop, about possible alternatives to cash or card payments, by what would seem to be children attempting alternative ways to pay. That would seem to qualify for a Wacky sign, so informative, rather than "useless" [agree with the sentiment or not].  Quite how that qualifies for an advert is not quite clear but I may have missed something.  

Either way it is lovely to hear from someone who has personal experience of a wacky sign, although you didn't mention whether you managed to beat the system...?  

Best wishes

In my defence, I did say "useless fact"😀

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Useless fact, the shop used in that advert is at the corner of Quarry Street and Agnew Avenue Coatbridge, just along from Coatdyke Station.  I used to pop in for sweets on my way to school.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/MBVnqrsAA166b9339?g_st=ac

Jim

I wish that I had the skills to do so, I would build a 1/48 0 scale model of that shop starting right now; well, as soon as I could get the necessary materials.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Hroth said:

Whats a range ball? 🤔

(I'm not a golfist)

I'm interpreting this as a genuine question.

Range balls are golf balls specifically intended for use on the practice driving range.

One rents a bucket of them to warm up before a round. They are usually pretty beaten up and are specifically marked as "range balls" and are not intended for use on the course.

For use on the course in a round, you have to buy special, expensive ones so that you can then lose them in ponds. long grass or the other side of the 'out of bounds' fence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

FB_IMG_1721737685969.jpg

13 hours ago, The Johnster said:

How did you find that, then…

11 hours ago, jcm@gwr said:

He went and studied bushcraft?

As part of an Inward Bound course? 😉

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

5 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Range balls are golf balls specifically intended for use on the practice driving range.

One rents a bucket of them to warm up before a round. They are usually pretty beaten up and are specifically marked as "range balls" and are not intended for use on the course.

For use on the course in a round, you have to buy special, expensive ones so that you can then lose them in ponds. long grass or the other side of the 'out of bounds' fence.

Actually I wanted to know the answer to that, thanks for the explanation.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

As I said...

Thanks for answering my question!

• Like 3

Hello All,

may I suggest YouTube An Unfortunate naming accident - Hannah Fry with reference to Nanotubes /NT, in the comments there is also reference to the merging, and renaming, of two UK Govt quangos, regards from Australia