The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Gold

Surely nobody goes into Mickey D's or BK because they think it's a health option, do they?  I would assume any sort of fast food outlet is trying to kill me, including chippies, kebabbies, Greggs, or Subway (their bread is proper rammed with salt and sugar).  Not that any of this stops me eating food from them (except Mickey's, litigious 'stards), but I'm under no illusions about what it's doing to me.  At my age I'm honestly not that concerned, doing what I fancy doing is more important than longevity, and most of the time I home cook reasonably healthy fresh food.

Used to be in a band, and one of the members was an Italian lady who was rather proud of her nation's cuisine and fussy about what she ate, and good manners eating it.  We were coming home in the minibus from a gig in the West Midlands late one night and stopped off at services on the M6, where the posh restaurant was shut for the night and the only thing open was Burger King.  So, reluctantly, she had to eat something from Burger King, and, seeing that I am a 'gentleman of a certain carriage', correctly assumed I was familiar with such things and what would I suggest she ate? 

I suggested a Bacon Double Cheese, and she duly bought one.  There we were, sitting at the table, Nicki staring disconsolately at her BDC in doubt and trepidation.  'Go on, Nicks', says I, 'best way to tackle one of these bad boys is to to stick it in your face and bite, clean up the mess afterwards'.  Utterly horrified at the prospect not only of eating such a terrible offering but of the manner in which she was to do so, to her credit she looked at me, opened her mouth, and in went about half of the BDC.  Her mouth closed, and her face went through an entertaining variety of expressions, before she'd managed to get enough of it down her to be able to speak, mouth full, cheese and mayo all over her face, and quite loudly 'Oh, f*ck me against the park railings, that is drop dead gorgeous!!!'. 

Middle-class Italian girl 0, BK 1.

• Like 1
  • Funny 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

Ardgay_AA_Box_504.jpg[/img]

G1MFG at English Wikipedia, CC BY-SA 3.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0>, via Wikimedia Commons

That looks like a fancy outhouse to me!

• Funny 4

12 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

G1MFG at English Wikipedia, CC BY-SA 3.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0>, via Wikimedia Commons

I've still got my AA key!

Paul

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

That looks like a fancy outhouse to me!

As they have all been taken out of service it probably has been used as an "out house" (outside toilet)

Apparently 19 still in situ with 8 listed.

• Thanks 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Hippel said:

I've still got my AA key!

Paul

I've got "an" AA key, no idea where it came from...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

image.png.e9f5d02a736f1e0cb08c5c447fd44494.png

Is it grimly reassuring that potatoe is at least the #1 ingredient? But what about all the rest? I had to find-out what some of those things are.

Tertiary butylhydroquinone, or TBHQ "is a synthetic antioxidant that is added to foods to prevent or delay oxidation."

polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS) "is a form of silicone used as an antifoaming agent in food with the European food additive number E900"

I think you will find that is the list of ingredients for McD's fries in the US. The ones sold in the UK have a very different list of ingredients.

Ingredients: Potatoes, Non-Hydrogenated Vegetable Oils (Rapeseed), Dextrose (predominantly added at beginning of the potato season). Prepared in the restaurants using a non-hydrogenated vegetable oil. Salt is added after cooking.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Surely nobody goes into Mickey D's or BK because they think it's a health option, do they?  I would assume any sort of fast food outlet is trying to kill me, including chippies, kebabbies, Greggs, or Subway (their bread is proper rammed with salt and sugar).  Not that any of this stops me eating food from them (except Mickey's, litigious 'stards), but I'm under no illusions about what it's doing to me.  At my age I'm honestly not that concerned, doing what I fancy doing is more important than longevity, and most of the time I home cook reasonably healthy fresh food.

Used to be in a band, and one of the members was an Italian lady who was rather proud of her nation's cuisine and fussy about what she ate, and good manners eating it.  We were coming home in the minibus from a gig in the West Midlands late one night and stopped off at services on the M6, where the posh restaurant was shut for the night and the only thing open was Burger King.  So, reluctantly, she had to eat something from Burger King, and, seeing that I am a 'gentleman of a certain carriage', correctly assumed I was familiar with such things and what would I suggest she ate? 

I suggested a Bacon Double Cheese, and she duly bought one.  There we were, sitting at the table, Nicki staring disconsolately at her BDC in doubt and trepidation.  'Go on, Nicks', says I, 'best way to tackle one of these bad boys is to to stick it in your face and bite, clean up the mess afterwards'.  Utterly horrified at the prospect not only of eating such a terrible offering but of the manner in which she was to do so, to her credit she looked at me, opened her mouth, and in went about half of the BDC.  Her mouth closed, and her face went through an entertaining variety of expressions, before she'd managed to get enough of it down her to be able to speak, mouth full, cheese and mayo all over her face, and quite loudly 'Oh, f*ck me against the park railings, that is drop dead gorgeous!!!'. 

Middle-class Italian girl 0, BK 1.

Great invitation...  you haven't mentioned the result of the request / instruction???   😗

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 4
  • Funny 5

57 minutes ago, Ian Morgan said:

I think you will find that is the list of ingredients for McD's fries in the US. The ones sold in the UK have a very different list of ingredients.

Thank goodness! I need to tell my Managing Director immediately. There's a chance I will now, once a year, be allowed to order some without feeling guilty of some sort of crime.

• Friendly/supportive 2

15 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Thank goodness! I need to tell my Managing Director immediately. There's a chance I will now, once a year, be allowed to order some without feeling guilty of some sort of crime.

Keith didn't say they were better, just different.  Hopefully he meant better, I do have a vested interest in whether that is so.....  over the decades, I have eaten in MD twice and am in serious need of reassurance.   🤣 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Ian Morgan said:

Non-Hydrogenated Vegetable Oils (Rapeseed)

As an aside

If you buy a bottle of cooking oil in the UK marketed as "Rapeseed Oil" you will pay considerably more than you will for "Vegetable Oil" which is, 9 times out of 10, 100% rapeseed oil.

BTW "Canola Oil" is the US (and elsewhere) term for food grade Rapeseed Oil.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, jcredfer said:

Great invitation...  you haven't mentioned the result of the request / instruction???   😗

As @The Johnster is a 'gentleman of a certain carriage' (first class on expenses?), modesty forbids that he mention the result. Or what ever else the delectable Italian lady put in her mouth that night.

Edited by KeithMacdonald
Decorum
  • Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

You are all very bad people, go and stand in the naughty corner and think about what you've done.

It was all perfectly platonic and no funny stuff, sorry to dissappoint you all.  And, were it in any way not so, I would never let on.  I leave it to your fevered and overstimulated imaginations and make no further comment....

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

On 30/06/2024 at 14:45, martin_wynne said:

Ah, the AA box. Sadly, most had gone by the time I was roaming the roads, but I have it on good authority that, for a motorcyclist, on a cold and/or wet night far from home, they could provide a surprisingly cosy sanctuary, as long as one didn't mind sleeping sitting up.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, melmerby said:

The AA?😁

Very likely, but no one in the family has ever been a member of the AA, so how it came into my possession is a mystery!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hroth said:

Very likely, but no one in the family has ever been a member of the AA, so how it came into my possession is a mystery!

Was it usual to issue keys to members of Alcoholics Anonymous?

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Ian Morgan said:

Ingredients: Potatoes, Non-Hydrogenated Vegetable Oils (Rapeseed), Dextrose (predominantly added at beginning of the potato season). Prepared in the restaurants using a non-hydrogenated vegetable oil. Salt is added after cooking.

I thought salt was the primary ingredient...

14 hours ago, The Johnster said:

You are all very bad people, go and stand in the naughty corner and think about what you've done.

It was all perfectly platonic and no funny stuff, sorry to dissappoint you all.  And, were it in any way not so, I would never let on.  I leave it to your fevered and overstimulated imaginations and make no further comment....

Presumably because you couldn't find any park railings in the M6 services? ;-)

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, melmerby said:

As an aside

If you buy a bottle of cooking oil in the UK marketed as "Rapeseed Oil" you will pay considerably more than you will for "Vegetable Oil" which is, 9 times out of 10, 100% rapeseed oil.

BTW "Canola Oil" is the US (and elsewhere) term for food grade Rapeseed Oil.

That name alone would not work over here.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Nick C said:

I thought salt was the primary ingredient...

Presumably because you couldn't find any park railings in the M6 services? ;-)

If Nicki were to see this correspondence, she would undoubtedly murder me dead.  Then she'd come for you; be afraid, be a very fraid...

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

That name alone would not work over here.

I'm surprised it still does here given the general trend towards people taking offence at everything without understanding the concept of context...

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, Hroth said:

I've accumulated all sorts of odd keys over the years, off the keyrings of secondhand vehicles that I've bought.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Hroth said:

I've got "an" AA key, no idea where it came from...

Mine was in the ashtray of my Renault 10 when I bought it back in the early 70s.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, The Johnster said:

If Nicki were to see this correspondence, she would undoubtedly murder me dead.

Is there any other way to murder you ?

Adrian

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1