The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, melmerby said:

In India the majority is or was vegetarian.

Bit of a sweeping generalization. There are many religious groups represented in India. Muslims are still a large population and are not vegetarian.

While most Indian adherents of Hinduism were vegetarian, some enclaves historically were not - particularly those living close to the ocean where eating seafood is permissible.

This is now much more widespread.

According to a new study conducted by the Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR), Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers’ Welfare, Government of India and WorldFish recently, also found a staggering 72.1% of the Indian population, equivalent to 966.9 million individuals, incorporate fish into their diet.

The meat proscription in Hinduism has changed over time. Yes prosperity is a factor - but it is a broad societal change away from self-sufficient agriculture. 

India Today: The plot chickens! One in every two Indians relishes non-veg every week

57.3 per cent of men and 45.1 per cent of women relish chicken, fish, or other varieties of meat at least once a week.

Pizza chains in India offer turkey based versions of items that would normally be made with pork in the west - like pepperoni.

"Turkey bacon" is common in the US. Without a modifying adjective terms like bacon and ham would normally imply pork, but their real distinction is in the curing process to life-extend the pork product in days before refrigeration - more so than the animal.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I've been out with a few veggies. It can be baffling for us on the outside what they can actually eat and that normally changes depending on mood!

In theory they can eat anything , they just choose not to . 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Sidecar Racer said:

In theory they can eat anything , they just choose not to . 

As is entirely their right, for whatever reason they choose.

Some people don't like Brussel Sprouts, others either love them or tolerate them.

So what's the difference between anyone's choice of food?

• Agree 4

20 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Some people don't like Brussel Sprouts, others either love them or tolerate them.

The proselytising and the thinking up of spurious reasons for other people's food choices should be done away with. (OK this applies to vegans more than common or garden veggies, but still...)

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

As is entirely their right, for whatever reason they choose.

Just where did I say they didn't have the right  to choose , Oh look ,

I didn't . I did say they choose not to , please try and read what was

written .

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

I'd say there is a difference between choosing not to eat certain foods for reasons that one finds of personal importance, dietary reasons, or religious proscriptions, and choosing not to eat certain foods for moralistic or animal welfare reasons in the interests of spirituality and then making a point of telling everyone about it in a manner critical of others' choice.

Animal husbandry or hunting for meat has clear moral implications and problems in a world where it is an inefficient use of arable land and people are starving, but we are rapidly approaching the point where factory-grown meat cultures can and will remove these objections, releasing land for crops and increasing the amount of food produced to the point where nobody needs to go hungry even taking the ever-increasing world population and longevity into account.  Except it won't, because the cost of transporting and distributiting the new food will prevent it, and much of the grazing land released will be unsuitable for growing much except grass; cue return of grazing food animals,  It is impossible for any living organism to continue to be a living organism constantly denying the right of life to other organisms, either by subsisting on them or by denying them resources; this brutal fact is inescapable even for Jains (who, to ther credit, do their best and don't bang on about it).

My personal view is that H.Sapiens (there's a misnomer if ever there was one) has evolved to be an omnivore, and that this is the best way for us to sustain ourselves, but in the First World we certainly eat too much processed and fatty food, much of which is meat.  Other views are available, and I suggest choosing from them or making up your own if you don't agree with me, but, please, keep them to yourselves, and don't harangue me with them.  Wearing a t-shirt with a cute smiley-face cow on it and the statement 'I don't eat my friends' will get short shrift here!

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

I'd say there is a difference between choosing not to eat certain foods for reasons that one finds of personal importance, dietary reasons, or religious proscriptions, and choosing not to eat certain foods for moralistic or animal welfare reasons in the interests of spirituality

And then there is Marmite.

• Funny 17

7 hours ago, Chris M said:

I didn't take a photo but this morning I was in a lift with a notice stating "The alarm system isn't working. If you get stuck please shout".

Or the new building where the fire alarm fittings were already in place but were not yet connected up - some boxes had handwritten notices on them saying ‘In case of fire, break glass and shout “Fire!”’

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

In my experience (as a non-vegetarian), there are few vegetarian dishes that are not markedly improved by the addition of a spoonful or two of chicken stock.

As for ham, I've had emu "ham" and it was very similar to the more pretentious pig-based hams such as prosciutto.

• Like 1

We have had enjoyable holidays in countries that have strict Muslim customs and the hotels provided breakfast bacon made from non pork meat. To be honest, this tasted ghastly and I would rather have eaten my flip-flop!

Fortunately we were not inconvenienced in the alcohol department.

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

3 hours ago, Deeps said:

We have had enjoyable holidays in countries that have strict Muslim customs and the hotels provided breakfast bacon made from non pork meat. To be honest, this tasted ghastly and I would rather have eaten my flip-flop!

I've had mock bacon made from turkey. It tasted pretty much the same as bacon but the texture was still like turkey.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Just where did I say they didn't have the right  to choose , Oh look ,

I didn't . I did say they choose not to , please try and read what was

written .

He seems to have been in a mood. A couple of my posts got a blunt response to them....

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm veggie (not vegan) because I don't like meat. Never did from an early age.

I couldn't eat chicken, it used to make me sick but i used to eat beef, pork, venison or lamb mainly because it was expected of a meal but I was never enamoured by it.

I don't like the smell of fish, so wouldn't want to eat it.

10 hours ago, PatB said:

there are few vegetarian dishes that are not markedly improved by the addition of a spoonful or two of chicken stock.

I though the advantage of chicken stock was that it has little taste and can be used for anything.😁

I'm not against meat production, providing welfare standards are observed.

I don't object to others eating meat apart from any environmetal issues, which also apply to some non meat production such as palm oil

IMHO Human beings are no different to many species which prey on lower species, we just farm them (generally)🙂

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
On 07/06/2024 at 03:35, Ozexpatriate said:

Bit of a sweeping generalization. There are many religious groups represented in India. Muslims are still a large population and are not vegetarian.

While most Indian adherents of Hinduism were vegetarian, some enclaves historically were not - particularly those living close to the ocean where eating seafood is permissible.

I purposely did not mention religion as that is not the only arbiter of diet.

Many were vegetarian for economic reasons. they could grow vegetables and grains but raising animals used up more resources.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 07/06/2024 at 17:06, The Johnster said:

choosing not to eat certain foods for moralistic or animal welfare reasons

But what about killing a cabbage?

This post may contain nuts.

• Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1

5 hours ago, melmerby said:

Many were vegetarian for economic reasons. they could grow vegetables and grains but raising animals used up more resources.

Maybe, but traditionally vegetarian societies needed access to coconut oil, the only vegetable oil to provide sufficient Omega 3.  

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, billbedford said:

Maybe, but traditionally vegetarian societies needed access to coconut oil, the only vegetable oil to provide sufficient Omega 3.  

Which goes back to the point @The Johnster made about pork - most societal or religion based diets were based on what was appropriate for the local climate, in the days before refrigeration and reliable long-distance transport of foodstuffs.

• Agree 4