The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Quite common nowadays with our multi religious society. 

Maybe not having bacon at all, but bacon only containing beef or mutton makes as much sense as saying "our vegetarian food all contains beef and mutton."

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Chum of mine, Mo (intereting bloke, Algerian and same age as me, when I was playing 3 & in with jumpers for goalposts over the rec he was lobbing Molotovs at French tanks) came to England in 1972 to study at Brighton University and lodged with a local family.  They had bacon & eggs for breakfast every morning and he developed a liking for the dish, eating it for several years before reailising that it was a pork product.  He still does, he's an addict, but he also drinks alcohol and only gives up beer and bacon for Ramadan.  He's married to a delightful Irish catholic woman, Katie (she gives up beer and bacon for Lent), which must be interesting at times but it works well enough for them.  He doesn't eat pork though; the idea that it comes from an unclean animal is too pervasive for him.

The dietary proscrictions of Islam and Judaism make sense when you consider that these religions are rooted in hot countries where meat goes off very quickly, in the case of pork almost immediately after the animal is slaughtered despite the draining of blood and other 'unclean' elements, and until about a hundred years ago refrigeration was not available to those people.  Similarly, shellfish are dangerous in such climes, it's common sense reailly.  It also explains the popularity of heavily spiced or curried food in some parts of the world, as it acts as a preservative for meat.

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

The dietary proscrictions of Islam and Judaism make sense when you consider that these religions are rooted in hot countries where meat goes off very quickly, in the case of pork almost immediately after the animal is slaughtered despite the draining of blood and other 'unclean' elements, and until about a hundred years ago refrigeration was not available to those people. 

It is one of the few things the two religions agree on!

That's probably enough to get me into trouble.

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Chum of mine, Mo (intereting bloke, Algerian and same age as me, when I was playing 3 & in with jumpers for goalposts over the rec he was lobbing Molotovs at French tanks) came to England in 1972 to study at Brighton University and lodged with a local family.  They had bacon & eggs for breakfast every morning and he developed a liking for the dish, eating it for several years before reailising that it was a pork product.  He still does, he's an addict, but he also drinks alcohol and only gives up beer and bacon for Ramadan.  He's married to a delightful Irish catholic woman, Katie (she gives up beer and bacon for Lent), which must be interesting at times but it works well enough for them.  He doesn't eat pork though; the idea that it comes from an unclean animal is too pervasive for him.

The dietary proscrictions of Islam and Judaism make sense when you consider that these religions are rooted in hot countries where meat goes off very quickly, in the case of pork almost immediately after the animal is slaughtered despite the draining of blood and other 'unclean' elements, and until about a hundred years ago refrigeration was not available to those people.  Similarly, shellfish are dangerous in such climes, it's common sense reailly.  It also explains the popularity of heavily spiced or curried food in some parts of the world, as it acts as a preservative for meat.

My mother always said that when she was young, in the 1920s in rural Hertfordshire, the rule was that you should only eat pork when there was an 'R' in the month.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Reorte said:

Maybe not having bacon at all, but bacon only containing beef or mutton makes as much sense as saying "our vegetarian food all contains beef and mutton."

Turkey based ham & bacon is readily available in the UK, just check the list of ingredients at your local independent Pizza parlour.

(Many are Halal but don't always advertise it)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Turkey based ham & bacon is readily available in the UK, just check the list of ingredients at your local independent Pizza parlour.

(Many are Halal but don't always advertise it)

If it's not from a pig then it's not ham or bacon but something else.

• Like 2
  • Agree 8

41 minutes ago, Reorte said:

If it's not from a pig then it's not ham or bacon but something else.

Ham comes from the term for a knee joint though. If you've ever done your hamstrings then you'll know all about it!

The word "ham" is derived from the Old English ham or hom meaning the hollow or bend of the knee, from a Germanic base where it meant "crooked". It gained the meaning of the leg of an animal around the 15th century.[5] String refers to tendons, and thus, the hamstrings are the string-like tendons felt on either side of the back of the knee.[6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamstring

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, The Johnster said:

...snip...  It also explains the popularity of heavily spiced or curried food in some parts of the world, as it acts as a preservative for meat.

The same for Tex-Mex chili con carne, to hide the (usually) almost bad meat.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To edit the post
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Quite common nowadays with our multi religious society. 

And with our inattention to grammar!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChrisN said:

My mother always said that when she was young, in the 1920s in rural Hertfordshire, the rule was that you should only eat pork when there was an 'R' in the month.

Is there not the same rule for oysters?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Someone needs to lend Tesco a dictionary.

To be fair if you're really stretching things you can wriggle around and possibly just get away with turkey "ham" by using definitions which really don't mean what they're generally understood to mean in modern English, but bacon that isn't actually bacon?

Edited by Reorte
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, pH said:

Is there not the same rule for oysters?

Oysters can pnly eat pork when there’s an r in the month?

’The Walrus and the carpenter’, &c…

• Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Oysters can pnly eat pork when there’s an r in the month?

’The Walrus and the carpenter’, &c…

The Walrus and the Carpenter were walking hand in hand.

If only, said the Carpenter

The Law would understand.....

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, The Johnster said:

It also explains the popularity of heavily spiced or curried food in some parts of the world, as it acts as a preservative for meat.

In India the majority is or was vegetarian.

These days increasing prosperity amongst the educated classes means more meat is eaten.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Reorte said:

but bacon that isn't actually bacon

The thing that grates with me are veggie foods that pretend to be meat

e.g. "Meat free bacon"* or "No fish fish-cakes"

Yuk. I steer clear of those.

* even Smokey bacon crisps are meat free!

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 4

5 minutes ago, melmerby said:

We were at Pizza Express today, interesting to see they have removed the fake pepperoni from the Vegan pizza menu and have a more vegetable based offering now.

Much more appetising that a not meat alternative, and no doubt healthier.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, melmerby said:

That depends on the manufacturer. Some Ready Salted aren't even totally meat free!

It's the flavour enhancers and stabilisers that can be the problem for veggies. Many contain dairy products and rennet (definitely not vegan).

I've been out with a few veggies. It can be baffling for us on the outside what they can actually eat and that normally changes depending on mood!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2