The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Premium

Not just Sat Navs. I have a copy of the Essex A-Z street map only a couple of years old. In south Essex there is a steep part of the A13 between Benfleet and Thundersly called Bread & Cheese Hill (named after a pub that no longer exists). Since the 1950's the area either side  of the hill has been built up considerably but because of the terrain none of the roads connect directly to the A13. However the A-Z shows most of the roads accessible from the A13. There is in fact pedestrian access from some roads via very steep footpaths and in one case steps but the A-Z gives the impression that these are through roads.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Not just Sat Navs. I have a copy of the Essex A-Z street map only a couple of years old. In south Essex there is a steep part of the A13 between Benfleet and Thundersly called Bread & Cheese Hill (named after a pub that no longer exists). Since the 1950's the area either side  of the hill has been built up considerably but because of the terrain none of the roads connect directly to the A13. However the A-Z shows most of the roads accessible from the A13. There is in fact pedestrian access from some roads via very steep footpaths and in one case steps but the A-Z gives the impression that these are through roads.

Apparently. so I was told, that originally Bread and Cheese hill got its name from when there were lots of Dutch living in the area.  The locals, got fed up with this, and dragged them up to the top of the hill, where they asked them to say, "Bread and cheese".  If they said, "Brot." they were thrown down the hill, as the Dutch did not pronounce 'bread' the same as the locals..  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ChrisN said:

Apparently. so I was told, that originally Bread and Cheese hill got its name from when there were lots of Dutch living in the area.  The locals, got fed up with this, and dragged them up to the top of the hill, where they asked them to say, "Bread and cheese".  If they said, "Brot." they were thrown down the hill, as the Dutch did not pronounce 'bread' the same as the locals..  

TOWIE behaviour is apparently historically consistent then.....

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

16 minutes ago, ChrisN said:

That cannot be true at all, they would all be suffering from altitude sickness before they could say anything.

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

Supposed to have been Flemish during the Peasants Revolt. But the story does have a bit of myth about it.

https://www.benfleethistory.org.uk/content/browse-articles/areas/bread-and-cheese-hill/bread_cheese_hill_-_whats_in_a_name

If it is true then they would have got their comeuppance as they were all dealt with severely.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peasants'_Revolt#Suppression

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, dagrizz said:

You would get a D minus in your English exam with this one........ 

sign.jpg.9653d4081fc40ceb85548793c30b70a9.jpg

There is a Pay and Display machine in St Helier Hospital in South London, well there was for a number of years up until 2019, which had the notice on its display, 'Change is possible'.  Just what you want, an optimistic Parking Machine.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

11 minutes ago, Adam88 said:

That cannot be true at all, they would all be suffering from altitude sickness before they could say anything.

TOWIE would delight in such positive confirmation of their beliefs and be delighted to bowl them downhill, with additional Essex enthusiasm.....

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Jeremy Cumberland said:

Of course, it should read "has been sighted".

But not there all the time! Like certain types of bird or wildlife?

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

On 30/03/2024 at 07:55, Hroth said:

While HGVs are supposed to use commercial vehicle satnavs, the use of (cheaper) car satnavs is still too common.

HGV's should be fitted with commercial vehicle satnavs & kept updated by law and be part of the annual test.

Logistics companies spend really serious money on such things as telematics to monitor drivers down to the last gearchange (yes, I know most are autos now, just a figure of speech) but nothing to make the drivers life easier (& thus more profitable for them which is quite short sighted.

When I worked as an agency driver in logistics I had my own commercial satnav, they are not that much more than a decent car one.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

The Melway street directory for Melbourne was/is always excellent. They had a policy in place that ensured that it received corrections from the public. By law, taxi drivers had to have a current copy on board and enforced, but because of the policy, taxi drivers never purchased a copy - my friend who drove for 40 years never paid for one, nor did his group of colleagues!

Because they kept a list of errors or omissions, they could write in with a correction and when confirmed, they received a free copy of the latest edition. If they personally hadn't found an error, they collected from their friends, so no one paid.

The other reason it is well considered, is that developers of new estates wanted their streets drawn in the maps, before any streets and houses were actually built, so would be purchasers would be able to find the site.

So any street that was a dead end as you describe Phil, would soon be discovered and corrected.

The first edition is available on line. Lots of blank spaces, since filled and many more pages added!
https://www.melway.com.au/pages/melway-online-map-edition-1

https://www.melway.com.au/pages/melway-history

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I have failed to find these disconnected roads on google maps, all the side roads in the area seem to have perfectly good junctions with the A13. Could you perhaps provide a link to the specific area you are describing? Thanks

Edited by Grovenor
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Grovenor said:

I have failed to find these disconnected roads on google maps, all the side roads in the area seem to have perfectly good junctions with the A13. Could you perhaps provide a link to the specific area you are describing? Thanks

The area to the south of the A13 is heavily wooded and conceals any access from above. This is the 'new' Bread and cheese pub at the top of the hill on Google Earth, if you use the compass point and follow the road eastwards you can 'drive' down Bread and Cheese hill where you will see only one or two side roads.

• RMweb Gold

Tommy (Horizontal, that's another story*) Rees, my old hill-walking chum, once commented that, while the map is static, the ground is dynamic, meaning that there is no such thing as an up-to-date map, it is only as good as the latest survey.  It was not a problem that affected hillwalking much, but was something to bear in mind when using road maps and plotting routes where new estates had sprung up...

He was dead right, of course, and exactly the same thing applies to satnav, although in this case updates cane be included in the database much more quickly than the next OS survey.  This is a two-edged sword, though, since the impression is created that the satnav is necessarily accurate and up to date precisely because it's a satnav and has this capacity; in the real world, the ground is still dynamic! 

*Nickname acquired while he was working as a loco fitter at Nantgarw NCB.  He had a habit of 'resting his eyes' in the cabin on nights, booking on, doing whatever work was needed, banking the fires, and getting his head down.  This backfired one night when he left one of the Hunslets in reverse gear and failed to ensure that the regulator was fully closed and the handbrake was on properly; the story writes itself from this point.  Pressure eventually rose, and eventually the Hunslet moved, slowly at first then a little more quickly, gently demolishing the rear wall of the loco shed, a brick wall, and the surface manager's brand new Rover 3.5 litre coupe before Tommy, awakened by the noise, ran after it, climbed into the cab, and stopped the loco's escape bid before it was out through the gates and off up the Merthyr Road.  This was the end of Tommy's NCB career, but he always maintained he'd have got away with it if not for the damage to the car... 

• Like 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Ok going East from the Bread and Cheese there are the folowing;

Kenneth Rd, Badley Avenue, Konny Brk, to the North,

Cherrymeade, The Dl, to the South,

Runnymeade Ch - N

Hermitage Avenue - S.

The heavily wooded area has no roads in it,

There is no sign of any roads that match the description,

but because of the terrain none of the roads connect directly to the A13. However the A-Z shows most of the roads accessible from the A13. There is in fact pedestrian access from some roads via very steep footpaths and in one case steps

See https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/520+London+Rd,+Benfleet+SS7+1AA/@51.5615945,0.5772839,260m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m6!3m5!1s0x47d8db2ee73ccf93:0x569aa58f0b1d9228!8m2!3d51.5623684!4d0.575812!16s%2Fg%2F11c2fpdm9v?entry=ttu

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Grovenor said:

Ok going East from the Bread and Cheese there are the folowing;

Kenneth Rd, Badley Avenue, Konny Brk, to the North,

Cherrymeade, The Dl, to the South,

Runnymeade Ch - N

Hermitage Avenue - S.

The heavily wooded area has no roads in it,

There is no sign of any roads that match the description,

See https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/520+London+Rd,+Benfleet+SS7+1AA/@51.5615945,0.5772839,260m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m6!3m5!1s0x47d8db2ee73ccf93:0x569aa58f0b1d9228!8m2!3d51.5623684!4d0.575812!16s%2Fg%2F11c2fpdm9v?entry=ttu

None of those roads connect with the rest of Benfleet. The first road that connects directly from Bread and Cheese hill is Kents Hill Road at the traffic lights at the foot of the hill. Parts of those roads are no more than footpaths and some are very steep, steeper than 1 in 4 in some cases. These however are shown on many maps as through roads. Most of the houses near to the A13 are new builds whereas the bulk of Benfleet was built up by speculative builders in the 1950's.

• RMweb Premium
On 02/04/2024 at 21:14, airnimal said:

When is not Friday, Friday only  ?   I caught the bus at 20.34 and it was Tuesday.

That bus is shown as running at that time both not on Fridays and Fridays only; I would interpret that as meaning that some part of its route and/or timings was different on Fridays, but just not at this particular stop.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2