The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, JZ said:

reminded me of the car being filled up by an attendant at a small filling station in Northern France, while he had a lit gauloise in his mouth.

Gauloise fumes neutralise pretty much everything else 😉

• Funny 7

1 hour ago, JZ said:

The other point reminded me of the car being filled up by an attendant at a small filling station in Northern France, while he had a lit gauloise in his mouth.

That's OK if you're French.

Ideally you should also have a string of onions round your neck and wear a berret and shirt with horizontal stripes.

71Mophugk8L._AC_UY1000_.jpg.11b46ebc2011ee90be742af31d305f28.jpg

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, CWJ said:

Sounds like a rule made up by a paranoid lawyer rather than someone who actually understands the technology. A bit like people who are convinced their brains are being microwaved by nearby power lines. While it's not impossible for a mobile phone to interfere with  communications between pump and cashier, the latter would have to be using a very unusual serial protocol that isn't compliant with well-established international standards... so not impossible, but the same could be said for drinking your tea through a hosepipe.  Not sensible, and highly unlikely. 

It had never occurred to me that distraction could be a safety hazard either.  The worst you could do is put the wrong fuel in your car, or maybe dribble a bit of fuel on the ground (which happens anyway and will be dealt with by the drainage system), neither of which are safety issues.

Could they perhaps be thinking of simultaneous hazards, e.g. motorist forgets to put his fag out because he's on the phone?

Well, we've really enjoyed the hilarious side of this sign now, haven't we? 🤣

Cheers,

Will

But the sign has been put up by Shell (their logo appears on it), one the world's largest liquid fuel companies, not by a lawyer potentially touting for business.

I would expect that Shell with their 1000s of outlets around the world, want the number of fires at their premises, to be a nice round number or zero if you prefer.

So what if one of those rules or recommendations is not quite accurate, at one time people weren't sure what the risks really were with mobile phones, so it made sense to ban them. Is any lawyer going to publicly sign a document, stating that mobile phones are 100% safe to use around fuel pumps - no chance!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, billbedford said:

More to the point, people will remember the one incident where a phone was blamed for something, than millions of times where nothing remarkable happened 

So such signs should be removed then? Just to be honest.

Perhaps signs about smoking should be removed too, because just someone filling a vehicle while smoking DIDN'T start a fire? Must be many such incidents, where nothing actually happened.

Or ignore level crossing lights, because many people cross in vehicle or on foot, and didn't get hit, so must be a BS law.

Edited by kevinlms
More info
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

32 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

So such signs should be removed then? Just to be honest.

Don't be silly. Old signs can hang around long after the information they contain has ceased to be relevant, as the 'Ghosts in the Machine' thread shows. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, JZ said:

The other point reminded me of the car being filled up by an attendant at a small filling station in Northern France, while he had a lit gauloise in his mouth.

Recently in these parts Cadent have been renewing the gas pipes. I observed them working at a hole in the road, with barriers all round and No Smoking signs.

One workman tapped the ash from his cigarette on the fire extinguisher.

Martin.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 12

30 minutes ago, billbedford said:

Don't be silly. Old signs can hang around long after the information they contain has ceased to be relevant, as the 'Ghosts in the Machine' thread shows. 

A local sub-post office which has now become just a private house has taken down its "You may telephone from here" sign.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

not when there was a mountain full of sheep outside...

Who would be rather miffed at your inconstancy?

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

Recently in these parts Cadent have been renewing the gas pipes. I observed them working at a hole in the road, with barriers all round and No Smoking signs.

One workman tapped the ash from his cigarette on the fire extinguisher.

Martin.

I recall many of the fire buckets that used to adorn railway stations used to be full of cigarette butts.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, JZ said:

Distraction may be a bit more common in the US, where you pay for a set amount of fuel before filling up, ...

Possible but not necessarily the usual approach. More common in the days when people mostly used cash. I suspect it's relatively infrequent now.

11 hours ago, JZ said:

... increasing the likelihood of driving off with the nozzle still sticking out of the car.

Makes no difference whether you paid a certain amount up front or not though I presume your point was that the payment transaction doesn't usually complete until you replace the nozzle.

People can be forgetful no matter how they pay. Drive off with the nozzle in the car, forget to put the cap back on etc. 

My car is old enough that I don't have one of those new fangled cap-less systems. The screw cap was attached with a plastic tether. That broke long ago.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, JZ said:

10 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

That's OK if you're French.

I used to hitchhike a bit in the UK. I remember sitting in the passenger seat of a car in a layby on the A1, with my hand on the door handle. The car having run out of petrol, the driver was pouring petrol into the tank from a can he’d produced from the trunk. He had a cigarette in the corner of his mouth, with a long tail of ash, bits of which kept dropping off as he leaned over the filler.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

One of my landlords looked for a suspece gas leak at the meter with a lit macth; ‘where are you going?’ he asked, ‘running for cover!’, l responded, and went over the pub…

• Funny 9

45 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

One of my landlords looked for a suspece gas leak at the meter with a lit macth; ‘where are you going?’ he asked, ‘running for cover!’, l responded, and went over the pub…

When the builders were putting in foundations for an extension to my house, I had told them where the gas main was, but they put the digger through it anyway  So although they called the Gas Board to fix it, they decided to seal the broken end of the pipe.  Just a clod of clay shoved over it, was more than enough, the pressure is very low.   And yes, done with a lighted ciggy in the mouth.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The screw cap was attached with a plastic tether. That broke long ago.

How many years did it take to think of even having a tether? Every filling place must of had a collection of abandoned caps.

I only made that mistake once and went back and picked it off the pump 10 minutes later!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

A 500 (US) gallon underground propane tank exploded in suburban DC (Sterling Virginia) this week. A firefighter lost his life.

CNN: 500-gallon underground propane tank leads to catastrophic explosion

I think the house will need a repaint and a bit of TLC!

What is a home doing with a big propane tank underground? Isn't it heavier than air?

The tank contents I mean, because I know the tank itself is heavier than air!

Edited by kevinlms
More info
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

I think the house will need a repaint and a bit of TLC!

What is a home doing with a big propane tank underground? Isn't it heavier than air?

The tank contents I mean, because I know the tank itself is heavier than air!

Presumably it's pressurised.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, 25kV said:

Presumably it's pressurised.

Of course, I knew it wasn't kept in a paper bag!

Fact is flammable gas like that, is meant to be stored in a well-ventilated area. Basements, I wouldn't expect to be legal, because leaking gas will build up.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1