The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Jeremy Cumberland said:

Lion bars. My favourite.

Although, if we are to judge the contents by the picture on the tin, I am not too sure what Lyle's Golden Syrup is made of:

4E6DEF6400000578-5973787-image-m-76_1532083236507.jpg.b71fa8e0046866d836021f65d0bc205c.jpg

Its just a Victorian biblical metaphor for the utility of using a processed sweetener instead of rummaging around in a dead lions guts.

Golden syrup used to be called industrial honey.

Edited by Hroth
spelin korekshun...
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dagworth said:

And Girl-scout cookies?

Andi

Then there's the problem of Chocolate Brownies...

Edited by Hroth
mistype
  • Like 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Jeremy Cumberland said:

Lion bars. My favourite.

Although, if we are to judge the contents by the picture on the tin, I am not too sure what Lyle's Golden Syrup is made of:

4E6DEF6400000578-5973787-image-m-76_1532083236507.jpg.b71fa8e0046866d836021f65d0bc205c.jpg

I thought it was always Tate & Lyle, but no!

They look like flies around a dead lion, but again, NO!

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

I thought it was always Tate & Lyle, but no!

They look like flies around a dead lion, but again, NO!

Bees. All part of Samson's riddle posed after he saw a hive of bees living in the carcass of a dead lion.

"Out of the eater came something to eat, and out of the strong came something sweet."

Unfortunately his missus told the guests the answer so he had a forfeit of providing thirty sets of good clothes. He just killed thirty of them and took their clothes!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

12 hours ago, 30801 said:

Because you might get stranded and need high energy food.

Personally this sounds like sound advice, equal to carrying spare lamps and a spare tyre. My preference would be Eccles cakes.

The overhead sign reminds me of an incident some years ago as I was driving towards Cornwall on the M5. There was a warning that the A30 was blocked at a junction and a little later that the A38 was also blocked at a junction. These being the only major routes into Cornwall it was essential that I knew which junctions were affected, i.e. were the blockages after the point where I would need to turn off. Unfortunately the overhead signs only provided the adjoining ‘A’ road numbers at the junctions, not the geographic locations.

Not being equipped with satnav etc. I pulled into the services at Exeter and rushed into to shop to have a look at a motoring atlas to determine my options. It will come as no surprise that there was a mass of other motorists clustered around the book stall doing exactly the same thing.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, 30801 said:

Because you might get stranded and need high energy food.

Screenshot2024-01-13at20_31_52.png.a3ecdbb9ca61941289634b8e5f0d0bf3.png

Thats why I always have Kendal Mint Cake in the car...

Also some bottled water and fleece blankets. Never had to use them since I bough the Yeti 12 years ago....

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Thats why I always have Kendal Mint Cake in the car...

Also some bottled water and fleece blankets. Never had to use them since I bough the Yeti 12 years ago....

I've only had my Yeti for 5 years but so far she seems indomitable! The guy in the  Focus following me along some grass-up-the-middle Dorset lanes yesterday didn't have my level of confidence!

My Satnav has a sense of fun/adventure but did bring us out exactly where I anticipated!

Also in the back in winter is an army-style folding shovel, pair of wellies, a sleeping bag and a couple of cans of baked beans.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

Never had to use them since I bough the Yeti 12 years ago....

I suppose a Yeti would be more useful navigating snow covered landscapes than a Sat Nav

smallfoot-yeti.jpg?ar=16:9&fit=crop&crop

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ian Morgan said:

I suppose a Yeti would be more useful navigating snow covered landscapes than a Sat Nav

smallfoot-yeti.jpg?ar=16:9&fit=crop&crop

At one point, Skoda dealerships handed out a large Yeti soft toy when a new vehicle was bought.

A friend of mine has two Yeti soft toys that sit on booster seats in the back of their Yeti....

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

Useful as wheel chocks. 🤔👍😝

I won't mind them cold if necessary*, and they will be a good concentrated source of energy if I get marooned in the white stuff. 🙂

John

* I found that out when the gas ran out when camping many years ago.

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

in the back in winter is an army-style folding shovel, pair of wellies, a sleeping bag and a couple of cans of baked beans.

I have a Soviet MPL-50 which has better balance for throwing at people.

All my cars in the last few years have had a set of AutoSocks in the back. On the one occasion I've needed to fit them they've been excellent.

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, 30801 said:

I have a Soviet MPL-50 which has better balance for throwing at people.

All my cars in the last few years have had a set of AutoSocks in the back. On the one occasion I've needed to fit them they've been excellent.

My Yeti has 4wd and diff locks.

If anything looks likely to need more than that, I won't be out and about in the first place. 😉 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Baked beans.  When I was a rugrat, my older sister convinced me that they were sheep droppings in tomato sauce.  Of course, I soon realised that she was winding me up.  Still can't face them, though; my subconcious still knows what they really are...

• Funny 5

1 hour ago, F-UnitMad said:

Useful as wheel chocks. 🤔👍😝

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

Baked beans.

I got stopped once at the border at Kilpisjärvi between Norway and Finland, and the Finnish Customs man (who spoke no English) decided to search the car.  He was baffled by a few cans of Heinz beans - unlike other cans of food there's no picture on the label!

• Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I got stopped once at the border at Kilpisjärvi between Norway and Finland, and the Finnish Customs man (who spoke no English) decided to search the car.  He was baffled by a few cans of Heinz beans - unlike other cans of food there's no picture on the label!

4E6DEF6400000578-5973787-image-m-76_1532083236507.jpg.b71fa8e0046866d836021f65d0bc205c.jpg.92f2d6b1bf466ee6a4873f8690a43e33.jpg

😀

• Like 2
  • Funny 5

7 hours ago, Jeremy Cumberland said:

Definitely Photoshop. There can only be two letters at most covered by the door.

Something not right about the lighting on the rear wheel either.

C6T.

• Like 1