The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

57 minutes ago, Ramblin Rich said:

This yellow label attached to a box of Lego

RFID tag applied by the store - nothing to do with LEGO. No doubt the store puts the same tags on things that might get microwaved - like dishes or mugs.

More interesting to me is the "made in" paragraph. It's interesting that the box printing for the UK also includes Malaysia and Hong Kong.

Boxes printed for North America, have a "distributed in" the US, Canada and Mexico - printed in English, French and Spanish. The choking hazard warning is only in those three languages - not all those listed on your box.

The "made in" is the global catch all of LEGO factories: "COMPONENTS MADE IN DENMARK, MEXICO, HUNGARY, CHINA AND THE CZECH REPUBLIC. I can't tell if the box printed for the UK is the same.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, jcredfer said:

Eerrr???  They don't???   🤫 

Well, a couple of weeks ago, one RMweb member was very upset, to be tarred with the same brush!

I suppose on law of averages, ONE BMW driver does know the purpose of indicators and actually uses it. Otherwise what would be the purpose of the worker, who attaches them on the assembly line?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

23 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Well, a couple of weeks ago, one RMweb member was very upset, to be tarred with the same brush!

I suppose on law of averages, ONE BMW driver does know the purpose of indicators and actually uses it. Otherwise what would be the purpose of the worker, who attaches them on the assembly line?

The purpose of the worker would have been to have BMW compliance with the EU regulations {similar to their compliance with smoke emissions}.  How could management have been aware that there might have been a purchaser with the competence to know what they were for???

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Now, let's be quite clear about this BMW indicators business, gentlemen.  BMW drivers know perfectly well what indicators are and what they are for, but choose not to use them because they prefer, as BMW drivers, to display their contempt for everybody else in this way.  Taxi drivers, on the other hand, are unaware completely of the use of flashing orange lights at the corners to indicate an intention to turn, so cannot be expected to use them for that purpose.  They are fully aware of their use as hazard lights, however, and deploy them as such in order to assert their unquestionable authority to stop in any position they like, again as an expression of contempt for the rest of us. 

• Like 9
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, JZ said:

47.-64b7ebecc4e0d_interesting-aviation-pictures_img_650acbaf96817.jpg.f9bdc9cec20557089ae56e1f856945a0.jpg

What the hell's that gauge for below the "check list"?

I also like the USB points beside the gauge.

Is it to power your phone while it's in "SAT NAV" mode!

Kev.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

Audi drivers are there to make BMW drivers look good.

I've moved on from disliking either of them (although some drivers of both brands still have their moments, bless them).

No, there's a new scourge on the roads. As the 'SUV'* has gained such great popularity over the last few years, today's problem is that when one of these is driving too close behind someone in a 'normal' car, their headlights are at exactly the same level as the normal car's rear view mirror.

And as many motorists seem blissfully unaware that the bouncing, blue-white pool of light on the rear window of the car in front is coming from their own inadequately-dipped headlamps, who could blame Mr Normal for resorting to passive-aggressive brake applications in an attempt to demonstrate his wrath to Little Miss SUV? (Asking for a friend).

Cheers,

Will

* PS. Am I the only one who thinks of Captain Scarlet's car when people talk about SUVs?

Also, most SUVs seem to be smallish, 2WD hatchbacks but jacked up by a few inches and sold for £10k more. I don't get it.

None of this has anything to do with signage, whacky or otherwise. Apologies.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Further comments on indicator use. I regularly look at youtube features by a driving instructor called Ashley Neal. His advice is invariably excellent and if everybody took to the roads using his methods the incidents of accidents would drop dramatically.

In one feature, he demonstrated how he could safely navigate the roads around Liverpool without once using his indicators. I think it had been a bit more of a ‘set-up’ than a random experiment but the message seemed to be that we generally use indicators when they aren’t necessary.

I think I probably use them more than necessary but definitely use them, regardless of any legal requirement, when I want to inform other drivers of my intentions. On one occasion, when my daughter was learning to drive, I advised her to indicate whilst waiting for oncoming traffic to clear when waiting behind a row of parked cars on our side of the road. She informed me that her proper instructor had told her this was not necessary. I suppose things have changed a bit since I passed my test in the early 70’s; perhaps I should have a look at the current Highway Code?

I particularly despair of those drivers who only turn on the indicators, to change lanes or when turning into a side road etc, when they have actually started the manoeuvre.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, Deeps said:

I particularly despair of those drivers who only turn on the indicators, to change lanes or when turning into a side road etc, when they have actually started the manoeuvre.

As the Highway Code says.

Mirror - Signal - Manoeuver

Using the indicators after commencing the manoeuver is worse in a way.  It shows that the driver knows you are there and it must be your fault if you don't see their indication...

Edited by Hroth
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, SHMD said:

What the hell's that gauge for below the "check list"?

Tachometer. Airmiles. Obviously 😁

You should use your indicators when there is someone who could benefit from the information. Otherwise they are just a distraction. An advantage of this strategy is that it encourages you to be more aware of what's going on around you to help determine if anyone needs to be told of your intentions.

The alternative strategy of just indicating out of habit can lead to drivers seeing indicating as just the first part of a manoeuvre and assuming that having indicated they can continue with the manoeuvre.

Edited by AndrueC
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, PeterStiles said:

yes... however that requires both 360 degree vision and infinite patience to be sure of..

Not normally it doesn't. In most situations traffic in the opposite carriageway has no need to know what you're doing.

If you're approaching a roundabout and the only other vehicle in sight is one that is exiting the roundabout there is no need to signal. If you are turning into a side road and none of the oncoming traffic is indicating to turn across you there is no need to indicate unless there are pedestrians approaching the side street.

If you aren't aware enough of what other road users are doing around you to know whether you should indicate then you shouldn't execute any manoeuvre either.

Edited by AndrueC
  • Like 1