The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Gold

My grandparents had a toaster that fired the bread out just fast enough to land on a plate laid beside it. Every now and again it would fire it the other way and straight down the back of the table if you’d forgotten to put a tray between the wall and toaster! Great fun for kids and Grandads 😀 

• Like 3
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

<snip> A pre WW2 device and probably something of a status symbol when new, I'd think. 

<snip>

I have one like that in France, they are still on sale in the supermarket.

It is useful for toasting bits of baguette.

Dave

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

If those of you who love music & the arts and have access to a smart tv would care to tune in to the Concert of celebration of the Nobel prizes recently awarded  on iPlayer then you will be well rewarded  

I should add ,via YouTube..which affords a spectacularly involving experience 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

We had a toaster in the Boy Prefects Day Room at school in the late ‘60s.  Some genius modified it to squeeze the toast  out slowly, rather than eject it at high speed.  This eventually caused the device to fail completely.   Thereafter we used to threaten first and second form boys who’d displeased us that we’d put their fingers in the toaster as a punishment.  They of course had no idea it wasn’t plugged in and was totally inoperative.  What delightful little creatures we were. I wonder how that would be looked on in this day and age?

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, AndrueC said:

I remember one hotel had a toaster that was a conveyer belt with a burner on top. You put your bread on the conveyer belt then waited for it to come out the other side. If you wanted it done both sides you had to put it back on the belt upside down.

A triumph of marketing over function I feel.

These are very common. They are from industrial kitchens for making large volumes of toast. Even though the conveyor belt is slow it's still faster (overall) than a regular vertical toaster - certainly with total throughput.

Also it demonstrates progress.

In a busy self-serve hotel breakfast waiting for someone to use the one toaster - multiple times until they get their toast dark enough is very frustrating. In a busy location you toss your bread on the conveyor. Also there are breakfast breads (like bagels) where people might only want to toast one side - the cut side in the case of a bagel.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Martino said:

Thereafter we used to threaten first and second form boys who’d displeased us that we’d put their fingers in the toaster as a punishment.  They of course had no idea it wasn’t plugged in and was totally inoperative.  What delightful little creatures we were. I wonder how that would be looked on in this day and age?

Nowadays they'd call in the lawyers, therapists and social workers because they've been traumatised. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Dave 46 said:

I have one like that in France, they are still on sale in the supermarket.

It is useful for toasting bits of baguette.

Dave

Yes well, the French would know best!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

Is it PAT tested?

If you pat it and don't end up on the other side of the kitchen, its perfectly safe.  A slight tingle is acceptable...

Edited by Hroth
A space where there should' nt be....
  • Like 2
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hroth said:

If you pat it and don't end up on the other side of the kitchen, its perfectly safe.  A slight tingle is acceptable...

Reminds of the time in the early 00s when someone was tasked to PAT test stuff. They were new to the job and frankly they'd been picked because they often had time on their hands. Somewhere I still have a computer mouse with a PAT tested certificate on it.🙂

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

Reminds of the time in the early 00s when someone was tasked to PAT test stuff. They were new to the job and frankly they'd been picked because they often had time on their hands. Somewhere I still have a computer mouse with a PAT tested certificate on it.🙂

At least it passed!

• Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

At least it passed!

Obviously the cable wasn't frayed or have obvious breakages and the correct termination was securely fitted.

Genuine PAT criteria for cables...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, AndrueC said:

First PAT test in my pub, and the PAT tester cut the plug off the kettle, then wondered why he hadn't been offered a cup of tea.

Regards

Ian

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 12

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

You have to fit an approved silencer now?

Recent science suggests that, given time, it has a built-in silencer.....

Perhaps time for it to have a wacky sign, too?

Edited by jcredfer
  • Like 2