The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

34 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

It does exist! https://www..is/

When we went to Iceland SWMBO didn't want to go there.

But later at dinner in the hotel the manager sat himself down at our table and started showing us his photo collection. One of which was him on the beach next to a washed up whale pointing out the giant whale wang.

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, 30801 said:

Hedging your bets for when the revolution comes.

It goes to show that it is those at the bottom of the social pile - in the worst-paid jobs - who are at greatest risk of radicalisation by the extremes of left or right.

Either that, or Che Guevara T-shirts and MAGA caps are very inexpensive.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

23 hours ago, Hroth said:

Mixed messages...

22 hours ago, 30801 said:

Hedging your bets for when the revolution comes.

2 hours ago, steve1 said:

Unintentional irony?

36 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

It goes to show that it is those at the bottom of the social pile - in the worst-paid jobs - who are at greatest risk of radicalisation by the extremes of left or right.

I wonder how many of us remember what it might feel like to be a 'disaffected' youth working a minimum hour job.

In this context people like to assume the younger generation is stupid. There are many possible explanations:

• deliberate irony
  • peer pressure - a dare
  • simply being intentionally ridiculous as "funny"

Locally we have a burger chain where the employees unionized - which was likely a lesson for many of them in labour-related politics.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I wonder how many of us remember what it might feel like to be a 'disaffected' youth working a minimum hour job.

You've missed the humorous intent of my post, which was to deflate the high moralising tone of:

50 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

by the simple point that:

51 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Che Guevara T-shirts and MAGA caps are very inexpensive.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Either that, or ... MAGA caps are very inexpensive.

"Official" MAGA caps are donations to 'the cause'. They are $40.00 - $50.00.

Of course there are cheaper knock-offs.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

More likely he liked the colour and he saw "Western" logos on them in the local market.

Isn't red seen as lucky in parts of the Far East?

One of the main reasons certain football clubs are massive over there and I remember the Cardiff City owner wanted to change the club colours to red with massive outcry from the fans.

I severely doubt it's something planned.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I severely doubt it's something planned.

The tattoos, ear gauges and lip rings are a clue. "Disaffected" lad goes to work at McDonalds in his Che tee shirt to "stick it to the man".

Mates say "wouldn't it be funny if you had to wear a MAGA cap with that and we posted it on 'social'".

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Back around the turn of the century when I was living in Canton, not the most salubrious area of Cardiff, there was a 'Hypervalue' shop in Cowbridge Road, what you'd now call a pound shop.  It got hold of a shipment of Muchen Gladbach t shirts and was knocking them out at 99p a shout, and it was not long before Cowbridge Road was a sea of green most days, we all had them and some of us had two... 

I wore mine unthinkingly on warm summer daytrip to Bristol, where the local football fans were most gracious, offering advice and directions to the 'Bavarian' visitor, and buying him beer.  I took great care to say as little as possible beyond the odd 'ja' or 'nein', and got away with it!  Stood my round when it was my turn, and all was well...

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

Back around the turn of the century when I was living in Canton, not the most salubrious area of Cardiff, there was a 'Hypervalue' shop in Cowbridge Road, what you'd now call a pound shop.  It got hold of a shipment of Muchen Gladbach t shirts and was knocking them out at 99p a shout, and it was not long before Cowbridge Road was a sea of green most days, we all had them and some of us had two... 

I wore mine unthinkingly on warm summer daytrip to Bristol, where the local football fans were most gracious, offering advice and directions to the 'Bavarian' visitor, and buying him beer.  I took great care to say as little as possible beyond the odd 'ja' or 'nein', and got away with it!  Stood my round when it was my turn, and all was well...

Point of order if I may…. I think the team you’re referring to there is Borussia Mönchengladbach who play in the city of Mönchengladbach in the state of Nordrhein-Westfalen. It is nowhere near München (Munich) or Bavaria. In fact, they’re as far from each other as Cardiff is from Glasgow. Back to the Whacky signs…

Edited by The Pilotman
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Well, cover me in chocolate and throw me to the fat girls, neither your intrepid reporter nor the Bristol lads (can't recall whether they were City or Rovers, but I did know enough to be aware that Cardiff was not a good place to be from with either) were aware of that, and we all thought Munchen Gladbach was a Munich club, alternative to Bayern in the same way as Bristol City or Rovers...   One of the Mabinogion stories, Dark Age Welsh folklore written down in medieval times, features a character who is advised 'that a Welshman alone among the English is wise to keep his own council'; the story progresses so that 'an Englishman alone among the Welsh is wise to keep his own council'.  I took the old book's advice, with some success, success being 'getting away with it'...

• Like 5
  • Funny 2

3 hours ago, The Pilotman said:

Point of order if I may…. I think the team you’re referring to there is Borussia Mönchengladbach who play in the city of Mönchengladbach in the state of Nordrhein-Westfalen. It is nowhere near München (Munich) or Bavaria. In fact, they’re as far from each other as Cardiff is from Glasgow. Back to the Whacky signs…

Now this is a sign!

spacer.png

Now in the museum.

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

1860 Munchen is the other Munich team.

Back in the 1990s a firm called Debonair used to do cheap flights from Luton to Munich with an intermediate stop at Munchengladbach. This was quite an exciting stop because the Munchengladbach airfield (which is close to Dusseldorf) was right on the limits for the plane they used. I don't think any of us users were too upset when Debonair went belly up.

• Like 3