The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Premium
On 07/09/2023 at 20:02, KeithMacdonald said:

image.png.5543241497f229634a0cd354aafa2713.png

Formerly called RAF Saxavord, used to be manned by many people defending your nation, 24, 7, 365, if it's gone the same way as the others it'll now be many by 3 civilians Monday to Friday bank holidays excluded.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Formerly called RAF Saxavord, used to be manned by many people defending your nation, 24, 7, 365, if it's gone the same way as the others it'll now be many by 3 civilians Monday to Friday bank holidays excluded.

Not quite correct. The proposed spaceport (satellite launching pad) would occupy part of the RAF site but another part has been re-opened by the RAF as part of a new remote sensing network. Unlike the former equipment, in use up to 2005, which needed personnel on site to keep it working, the current equipment operates remotely, only requiring occasional site visits. So the three civilians on working days only is, I'm afraid, a gross exaggeration. Technology in this field continues to progress.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Welly said:

I've noticed when watching French train cab rides, the drivers honking horns every time a train passes in the opposite direction - I assume that is in case there is a person about to cross the tracks from behind that train.

That won't do any harm but the trouble is that the people crossing the line will assume the horn is the train they've just got off.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 16/09/2023 at 12:40, Welly said:

I've noticed when watching French train cab rides, the drivers honking horns every time a train passes in the opposite direction - I assume that is in case there is a person about to cross the tracks from behind that train.

Also normal practice for the trams in Dusseldorf, a gong rather than a horn, for that reason.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 13/09/2023 at 21:31, PhilJ W said:

image.png.00567c73f039d362ca8d5a1a81928497.png

Many moons ago when I was a very young apprentice tailor it was the custom to torment the new starters by sending them to the stores department for a bucket of steam or a reel of tartan thread.

Regards, Rich

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Chris M said:

Not a sign, but what a lot of W anchors.

Saw a brochure once, from a company called Anchor something. On the back they'd abbreviated phone, email, website, so the last one was w: anchor... Brochure designer either having a laugh and the managers not catching on, or not realising what they were doing?

• Funny 7