The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Elderly-People-crossing.jpg

But I learn from the article from which I have taken that picture that even this anodyne revision is coming in for criticism from employment rights campaigners as giving a negative image of the over 50s; though I'm minded that many of you, like me, although over 50, would baulk at being described as elderly. 

What gives them the authority to designate over 50s as "Elderly People".  The sign certainly does not refer to any age, but their reference to a possible connection between Elderly, the age 50 and calling it a negative image, is entirely of their making.  What is equally interesting, is what the **** the sign has to do with employment rights campaigners, anyway??  A more valid conjecture might be that some "employment campaigners" might have, over active, mouths at the wrong end of their digestive tract.  At more than a quarter of a century older than their implied definition, I feel rather more qualified than them to have an opinion on what might be elderly.

I take the picture and the title, as a warning that, ahead, there may be more elderly people than might normally be expected, some / many of whom may be less than sprightly.

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, pH said:

You must be well preserved.

I have the same thing happen to me but I think that "well preserved" for them might mean "pickled"

Mike

Edited by ikks
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
On 06/02/2023 at 19:29, The Johnster said:

I remember being a bit miffed when a SAGA brochure dropped through my letterbox on my 50th birthday.  I'd consider a SAGA package nowadays, though!

It seems no time at all ago since I was pulling my parents' legs about reaching SAGA age. Now it's less than four years away for me.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

3 hours ago, Reorte said:

It seems no time at all ago since I was pulling my parents' legs about reaching SAGA age. Now it's less than four years away for me.

On my 50th, I was inundated with SAGA stuff, holidays, insurance, the works!

As my car insurance was coming up at the time, I got a quote from them.  What they offered was as expensive as the RAC insurance quote, which was five times what I was currently paying....

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Hroth said:

As my car insurance was coming up at the time, I got a quote from them.  What they offered was as expensive as the RAC insurance quote, which was five times what I was currently paying....

It probably was the same quote as I'm convinced they just act as a broker for the insurance side of things.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

The company that places adverts for McDonalds down here in Cornwall obviously has a bit of a wicked sense of humour. 

image.png.d2def31ad68ecdb3806b9679744c7675.png

The full story and the page I borrowed the photo from is here https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/mcdonalds-remove-tasteless-sign-opposite-8133444?fbclid=IwAR33n4kwcoVeJYo1ryx-9EPJhSTwc7a4r5kofSX8mtScdUBXNsygyJaP6kU lots of rubbish adverts on the page. 

• Funny 14

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

On my 50th, I was inundated with SAGA stuff, holidays, insurance, the works!

Legislation was passed about 4/5 years ago that dictated your insurance cannot go higher than your last quote, as long as nothing has changed. Mine increased by £55, the year after. I stated the law change, and they immediately reduced it to the original price. If you don't ask, you don't get. ( I remember it was printed, in full, in the papers at the time.)

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 33C said:

Legislation was passed about 4/5 years ago that dictated your insurance cannot go higher than your last quote, as long as nothing has changed. Mine increased by £55, the year after. I stated the law change, and they immediately reduced it to the original price. If you don't ask, you don't get. ( I remember it was printed, in full, in the papers at the time.)

That's not quite correct - they can quote you more than last year, what they can't now do is quote you more than a new customer would pay, all other conditions being the same. If you think about it, they can always claim that something has changed - both you and your car are a year older...

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 minutes ago, Nick C said:

That's not quite correct - they can quote you more than last year, what they can't now do is quote you more than a new customer would pay, all other conditions being the same. If you think about it, they can always claim that something has changed - both you and your car are a year older...

What hasn't changed is they wont tell you that..."oh it's gone up because of Covid/war/recession/Brexit. (delete where applicable)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Phil, your trawling the depths of Facebook found some real gems in that set. 

Nah, he's just going for the "how many 'jokes' that break Forum rules can I post before the Mods turn up & remove them?" all-time Record....

Edit - but "depths" is certainly an accurate description... 🙄😉

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Funny 3