The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I genuinely saw this combination of signage.

Cows.jpg.a53b48b00c833cf22c9d24b28b269c75.jpg

Roadworks.jpg.0f31ab192ee5f9defcfa4ba54bd2d93d.jpg

The "Cows in road" one was a permanent sign, to warn of a farm entrance around a blind bend

The "Roadworks" sign was temporary, because of extended works around the same bend.

To save effort, the "roadworks" sign was mounted below the "cows" on the same pole....

Sadly, I wasn't able to get a photo as there was no sane place to safely park and get a shot....

I read that as bull sh!t.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, billbedford said:

Errr No.

There's a specific goatish behaviour which needs a warning. Goats are forest animals. Their reaction to being disturbed is to run away for 30-40 yards then turn, face their attacker and challenge them. So instead of melting into the vegetation like deer, or slowly ambling away along the road like sheep, goats will stand their ground and expect you to back away. This is not the behaviour that most townies expect and can lead to much frustration. 

Ah, then in that case DoT No. 562 "Other dangers (plate must be used to indicate the hazard)" is appropriate, though I feel that, in view of your explanation, the text on the plate is inadequate to prepare the driver for the hazard.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, billbedford said:

Errr No.

There's a specific goatish behaviour which needs a warning. Goats are forest animals. Their reaction to being disturbed is to run away for 30-40 yards then turn, face their attacker and challenge them. So instead of melting into the vegetation like deer, or slowly ambling away along the road like sheep, goats will stand their ground and expect you to back away. This is not the behaviour that most townies expect and can lead to much frustration. 

I wonder if that explains the behaviour of their ovine cousins, sheep, on railway lines.  I was a guard on South Wales Valley Lines for some time in the 70s so know whereof I speak!  On becoming aware of an oncoming train, a sheep will run away from it along the track, then after 30 or 40 yards the silly thing would stop, step off the track, and, at the last second, turn around so that it could look at the oncoming train, now only feet away and closing at about 30mph with the brakes on.  It would then be brained by the cab steps.

We killed a lot of them in the hot summer of '76, when they came off the mountains en masse for water and to escape the fires.  I was one of a bunch of miscreants that chalked the kills up, confirmed and unconfirmed, on the cab doors of the 116s, fighter pilot ace style.  We were (probably rightly) told off about this; valleys people appreciated the tasteless humour but the nice folk of Penarth or Barry complained.

We used to come across well-decayed carcasses that had been found on the mountain (or roadkill) dumped on the track by farmers trying to claim compo from the railway, and had to mention any sheep strikes in our daily report sheet.

• Like 8

I was on the Manx Electric Railway in 2016 when one of the bad-tempered four horned sheep they have over there jumped over a hedge onto the track and tried to face down the tramcar. We stopped well in time and the driver must have got it to move aside eventually as we didn't drive over it, but the stand-off lasted a good few minutes.

There must be quite a high percentage of goat in them!

Peter, Sidcup

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, martin_wynne said:

sussex.jpg.5527120b085f89d081e97439072c1d9f.jpg

I am, fortunate to be living in Wiltshire part of the UK.  Quite how the County of Sussex will respond to the call to arms is yet to be seen.  It might be observed that those chosen to charge at the hole in the castle wall, were known as "The Forlorn Hope".

• Like 1

11 hours ago, billbedford said:

Errr No.

And then there were the Great Orme goats who came down from the Orme during the first Covid lockdown and took over the town of Llandudno.....

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

image.png.581d6e31b712a7b9a90044198e66c45b.png

Must be Lancashire (or possibly Yorkshire) they have cake and chips up there.

Found out when I was a lad.

I was asked if I would like a slice of cake, to which I said yes and a fishcake arrived!

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1