The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, martin_wynne said:

The scan I posted earlier was made 20 years ago, specifically for a web page:

https://85a.uk/templot/martweb/info_files/gimp_track.htm

(Also 20 years old, and after all this time that page has had the most hits on the Templot web site.)

I have now scanned the photo again on a better scanner at higher resolution:

roe_lane_jct_1498x780.jpg.0f4e408e95ea701d45b0fee8622e34c4.jpg

The original hi-res scan can be seen on this link:

https://85a.uk/images/roe_lane_jct_5172x2718.jpg  (9MB)

Here I have cropped out the buffer stop:

roe_lane_buffer_stop.jpg.fbf523ec56a7ed31255cb695cccf990c.jpg

From which it can be seen that the stop block is attached to the trap spur, and the works head-shunt is laid on separate rails alongside the spur. The chairing looks to have been improvised in part by supporting the inner rails on P slide chairs bolted to the outer rails. This can be seen on the inside of the far spur rail.

We seem to have wandered just a little off-topic from whacky signs.  🙂

Martin.

No problem about wandering off topic into an interesting discussion like this one.

The track on the bottom right corner of the close up, is revealing too, because what looks like double track, can't be used as such, because it's well & truly rusted and so is NOT used as part of a standard double track junction.

Presumably any trains arriving from the bottom right, arrives on the right hand track, diverges left on the point, then the curved rail of the single slip to access the track to the left of the EMU. Or take the straight road into the depot.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

15 hours ago, Grovenor said:

This would only apply if there was open ground behind the buffer, and even then my experience was that the rails were normally fishplated to the approach track. Maybe things were different in South Wales! On occasions where we had to have a track circuit on the approach and hence replaced the fishplates with Permalis to avoid the buffers causing a short it was common to find the Permalis broken after the buffer was nudged.

The far track for the buffers at Fawley (SR) in 1967 had proper fishplates and the nearest set were on a substantial length of track .742246582_Photo5Fawleybufferstops.jpg.ce425ad4075bf3035e9f5d2b1b5d64e7.jpg

• Like 4