The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, ardbealach said:

wackysign.jpg

1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

You don't buy beer, you just rent it.

Its the Thames Pub Crawl.

As you motor slowly downstream in your boat, you pull in at a pub each night.  Drinks and a widdle and so to bed.  Next day, repeat and so on until your holiday is over.  Ok, the beer each evening won't be made from your own "water", but it will have been made from someones...

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

17 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

I didn't even know "Smiffs" SELLS alcohol..???!!!??? 😳 I only ever go in to look at the railway magazines!! 🤪

It surprised me too but they sell it at some mainline railway stations apparently. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Saw this on a Merseyrail train a few weeks ago

1559347407_MerseyrailCurves.jpg.76872542185fe7254ac140ebff93f779.jpg

Looks like they're going to standardise on Hornby R1, R2 and R3 curves once the new 777 units come into service*...

* Whenever that is

• Like 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

I didn't even know "Smiffs" SELLS alcohol..???!!!??? 😳 I only ever go in to look at the railway magazines!! 🤪

3 hours ago, Hibelroad said:

It surprised me too but they sell it at some mainline railway stations apparently. 

1 hour ago, Fishoutofwater said:

So if you take that literally, alcohol purchased in Smiffs cannot be consumed anywhere.

36 minutes ago, BoD said:

So where does that leave to consume it?

Going by Hibelroads comment, it sort of makes sense. You can't drink the stuff in WHS because  they have no licence to consume on the premises, and can't drink it on the station concourse because of a blanket prohibition on the consumption of alcoholic beverages there.

Once out of the station or, presumably on a train, its permissible to glug the stuff.

Edited by Hroth
Inserting an extra word that I thought I'd put in already...
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Unless there's a footie match on, as those trains are dry.

Or any ScotRail services, at least as a Covid precaution (on the basis that drunk people are more likely to ignore distancing, apparently)

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

1 minute ago, Nick C said:

Or any ScotRail services, at least as a Covid precaution (on the basis that drunk people are more likely to ignore distancing, apparently)

Call me a cynic but I suspect that policy might be different if the proceeds of VAT on booze and excise duty went to Holyrood instead of HM Treasury.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

8 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

I didn't even know "Smiffs" SELLS alcohol..???!!!??? 😳

It can certainly be a surprise.

A bit like the shock of going into McDonalds Burgers and seeing beer and wine on the menu. But that was in France (and Portugal, Italy, Greece, Belgium, Germany, etc).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1