The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

One for our 'merican cousins?

image.png.a3e671b109230a99d247e07d37359e8d.png

19 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I think they tried to upgrade to Win 11 and the security module is incompatible.

Trump changed the administrator's password and won't tell anybody

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, melmerby said:

Trump changed the administrator's password and won't tell anybody

That's OK, it's 'fakenews'. If that fails, try 'whichhunt' - yes I know the spellings wrong, but Trump doesn't!

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

2 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

image.png.9de5864bcd31ad182659b48b6425ab5b.png

Back in the noughties, I had a flat in Dyfrig St., off Cathedral Road in Cardiff, a cul-de-sac with a tall stone wall at the end through which a narrow pedestrian gate led to Sophia Gardens, part of the huge park complex each side of the River Taff which effectively divides a good part of the city.  

Just on the other side of this wall is the council’s official touring caravan/motorhome short stay site, convenient for the centre about 20 minute’s stroll away through the parks.  To access this with with road vehicles, you go on via the sports centre about a quarter mile closer to town.  

But, for some reason we never quite got to the bottom of, German satnavs instructed their owners to come in via the A48 Western Avenue and come down Cathedral Road from the Northern end, and turn left into Dyfrig Street.  Of course, the poor Teutonic sods had to reverse from a narrow street with cars parked both sides out into a main road, no mean feat even for a driver experienced with trailers, and some of the trailers were enormous.  Tiny, though, compared to some of the motorhomes; articulated monsters with upper floors, rooms that extended out in all directions, and small sports cars and jet skis in garages beneath the floor, the family Beamer being hitched to the back of this road train setup.  

Loads of entertainment for us residents giving handsignals and directing traffic on Cathedral Road, for the benefit of people used to driving on the right who could not speak English and were invariably tired after driving up from Dover or wherever and stressed out by their satnav misinformation.   I was always a bit amused by the way they would insist that there had to be a way through the wall to the site (they could see the tops of caravans and motorhomes the other side of it only a few yards away) because that’s what the satnav said!  You could understand their frustration. 

This was a regular 2 or 3 times a week on the summer, and not infrequent even in winter…. Always the Germans!

• Like 4
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

But, for some reason we never quite got to the bottom of, German satnavs instructed their owners

The gate was added to OpenStreetMap only about 6 years ago. The way through the gate is a Cycleway.

I have now added a motor_vehicles=no restriction to both the way and the gate.

OSM is used by many satnavs and tracking apps. Anyone can edit it.

The gate: https://goo.gl/maps/9b6pV3TCBtz5nSJv6

The map: https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/104251505#map=18/51.48830/-3.19380

Martin.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

My flat was 1st floor rear of the house with the crutches in the doorway.  Lovely area but terrible landlord, place falling apart with damp, mould everywhere, my own private snowdrifts in the kitchen in winter, ineffective expensive electric fire heating, and draughts so bad you may as well have been outside.  Best location and worst accommodation I’ve ever had.  

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Loads of entertainment for us residents giving handsignals and directing traffic on Cathedral Road, for the benefit of people used to driving on the right who could not speak English and were invariably tired after driving up from Dover or wherever and stressed out by their satnav misinformation. 

If they don't speak English, give them directions in Welsh !

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

If they don't speak English, give them directions in Welsh !

llaw chwith i lawr ychydig!

Courtesy of Google translate, so it may not be exactly what I meant, and in that vein...

Allan o'r swyddfa. Yn ôl ar y 15fed.

• Like 1