The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

I don't have to pretend for some of them.

Hobbit, 1984 and Handmaid's Tale? All perfectly readable!

Ulysses - no need to pretend to have read it, it's anti-literature anyway!

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, DavidB-AU said:

Two of those I have actually read!

I've read three of 'em.

Now are we going to have guessing games as to who read which titles?  😀

Wait a mo...

I had another look at the picture and I've read FOUR!!!!

Clues:

One was a brown Penguin

One was a Virgo

One was a Penguin with a man with a megaphone on the cover

One had blue and green mountains on the cover

There you go!

Oh, and I've used one as a doorstop...

Edited by Hroth
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
On 31/07/2022 at 00:14, Ozexpatriate said:

I don't have to pretend for some of them.

Nor me. I have read 1984 (meh) and The Hobbit (but I skipped over the poetry/songs).

I've also read all of the Dune series that Frank wrote plus Chapter House Dune. That was when I called it quits :D

Edited by AndrueC
  • Like 2

On 25/07/2022 at 07:00, Dunsignalling said:

Back when I used to go to Cornwall regularly (1980s), the Highways Department went in for double (occasionally triple?) small roundabouts, seemingly intended to avoid purchasing land for big ones, which were negotiated in various ways depending on whether users had encountered them before and/or understood the signage!  

The confused took intended or unintended routes at walking pace that got them to the exit they wanted in what seemed a logical way to them. Some locals became emboldened with practice and, where practicable, straight-lined the things without slowing down! 

One particularly "interesting" example, located next to the then County Mental Hospital at Bodmin, was jokingly suggested as a "Catch 22" selection examination for said establishment. Whether you "got it" first time, or performed more than one circuit before escaping its clutches, you were in!

John

I did my driving test in Bodmin (long ago) and, much later, worked as a driving instructor there so I got to know that triple roundabout well.   It's simplified now isn't it?   That seems a bit like cheating.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, AndrueC said:

Nor me. I have read 1984 (meh) and The Hobbit (but I skipped over the poetry/songs).

I read 1984 recently and you know what...  I don't remember it being anything like that at all. 

• Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, BoD said:

I read 1984 recently and you know what...  I don't remember it being anything like that at all. 

I (re)read 1984 last year and I thought "well, he only got the date wrong by a few decades..."

• Like 4
  • Agree 4