The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

More likely a reinforcement rather like the difference between Flammable and Inflammable.

"Flammable" was the term in American English, whereas in British English it was "inflammable", which was the correct usage in legal documents, notices, warnings on containers etc.  My Dad always said it was because Americans might think the latter meant "fireproof".  More recently , probably about the time of the H&S legislation, the UK adopted the Americsan usage to avoid confusion. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

... or an electric fence with a sign "trespassers will be eletrocuted".

Or "Trespassers will be shot", "Survivors will be shot again".

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, petethemole said:

"Flammable" was the term in American English, whereas in British English it was "inflammable", which was the correct usage in legal documents, notices, warnings on containers etc.  My Dad always said it was because Americans might think the latter meant "fireproof".  More recently , probably about the time of the H&S legislation, the UK adopted the Americsan usage to avoid confusion. 

That's because the prefix 'in' often - not always means 'NOT'. So it is extremely confusing to suggest that a fuel such as petrol (or gas if you insist) is 'NOT' flammable, when that is clearly not true.

Maybe for once, it's better to agree that Americans got it right.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

That's because the prefix 'in' often - not always means 'NOT'. So it is extremely confusing to suggest that a fuel such as petrol (or gas if you insist) is 'NOT' flammable, when that is clearly not true.

I've several times had to read in church a reading that includes the phrase "in justice and integrity". It's very hard to read that without giving the impression that injustice is a good thing.

But then I'm the reader who announced "a reading from the book of the Acopalypse". Next time round I thought I might be safer with the alternative title, so they got "a reading from the book of Relevation".

• Like 3
  • Funny 8

23 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

Maybe for once, it's better to agree that Americans got it right.

At the risk of being inflammatory, this anomaly arises from the derivations of the two words.  "inflammare" is Latin for to cause something to catch fire, whilst the derivation of flammable meaning it catches fire (bursts into flames) easily is derived directly from the English word flame.  The confusion arises from the different meanings of the English preposition "in" and the negative implied by the prefix "in-".

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I've several times had to read in church a reading that includes the phrase "in justice and integrity". It's very hard to read that without giving the impression that injustice is a good thing.

But then I'm the reader who announced "a reading from the book of the Acopalypse". Next time round I thought I might be safer with the alternative title, so they got "a reading from the book of Relevation".

That's when the Feds turn up....

👮‍♂️👮‍♀️

Edited by Steamport Southport
See, I'm street and down with the kids....
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, melmerby said:

Or "Trespassers will be shot", "Survivors will be shot again".

That reminds me of sign that I saw floating in the 'bay:

"NO TRESPASSING

I HAVE A GUN AND

A BACKHOE"

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Glady the cross-eyed bear . .

😉 Billy Connolly 

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
On 15/07/2022 at 14:51, petethemole said:

I thought the location (and the phone code) looked familiar, it's at Cannard's Grave, Shepton Mallet.  I was confused when trying to locate it on Google Maps by the absence of the farm buildings in the background.  In the 2012 image you linked to with the sign there is an empty field.  The current 2021 image shows it laid out for development.  I assume the farm was demolished but it triggered memory cells.  SWMBO was living in Shepton when we met and we used to go there a lot after we married.  I have used the pub opposite.  I have no memory of the sign.

I never realised, until looking just now, that there's two pubs there - I've been to the Highwayman several times, as there used to be a rally that started and finished there every November - and made use of a certain well-known farm just west of there, including driving along bits of the old branch embankment 

• Like 1