The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

You know an area is bad when there is a cctv camera aimed at another one!

Its next door to a Wetherspoons.

Looks like it has a reasonable ale range so must give it a try next time we are in Swansea

• Like 2

3 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Apparently this one has been making the news in Liverpool, something to do with a local saying.....

image.png.10c03d0de2caa90c984e6d1bfc436a24.png

There I was thinking it referred to the English Civil war jumping off with the battle of Edge Hill!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Apparently this one has been making the news in Liverpool, something to do with a local saying.....

Very old sign. It used to be a dodgy nightclub a few years ago.

The saying about Edge Hill was "Are you getting off at Edge Hill?" later used as a euphemism.

But the real reason was people in the know, knew that if you wanted to go to the City Centre then you were better getting of at Edge Hill and getting a horse drawn cab. Or even walking.

The reason was the trains were winched up and down to Lime Street by stationary engine as the locomotives at the time were too weak to pull them up the hill!

It wasn't until the 1870s that locomotives powerful enough were available.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Actually, I was thinking of this :biggrin_mini:!

Edited by J. S. Bach
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Just hope the review of indoor events on 25th January is positive, I want to go to Mode Rail Scotland!

… and the longer I have to wait for a decision the more expensive my advanced train ticket is likely to be.  It’s very annoying … and I’m not even Scottish or from Yorkshire.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
On 10/01/2022 at 14:14, luckymucklebackit said:

At one time a bigger Climax was available at Carn Brea near Redruth, with the added bonus that after 1945 it was also possible to obtain a Climax fettling grip there as well.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 10/01/2022 at 14:14, luckymucklebackit said:

Similar to Cardiff schoolboys' ratings of girls; 'she won't go past Cadoxton', 'stopped at Barry Town, the tease, wouldn't let me take her out on to the causeway', 'she goes all the way to Barry Island'.  I used to love the oneupmanship of 'she took me all the way through the tunnel to Barry Pier'...

Since none of us had even got beyond Grangetown, you could say anything you liked, until the girl concerned found out and beat the bejaysus out of you.  Mind, Paul Roach, weird little f*cker that he was, used to enjoy that bit.

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

image.png.ff182955d4f271a2409048f1d6fd81ca.png

4 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

It’s nice to know that the old habits of drinking on the job has not died out!

Goes back to the days of beer and sandwiches when the TUC used to visit!

At number 10 Downing Street?

• Round of applause 1