The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

25 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

ARTISANAL

SANDWICHES

BRUNCH

etc

Am I missing something? "Brunch" seems out of place.

Grammatically, it might benefit from some commas or at least some spacing, the oddest thing about this sign seems that it is chained to a lightweight stepladder for some reason.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Am I missing something? "Brunch" seems out of place.

I think someone was amused by the hidden rude word. One might also take it as one of the more sophisticated pinnacles of cultural criticism, if, perhaps, a little sweeping.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

A cafe I will very definitely not be going to!  What are patisserie cocktails, and what exactly is the non-organic wine that the description of organic wine inputes the existence of?

"Organic" is IMHO a total misnomer for supposedly more eco friendly agriculture.

Organic farmers claim only to use organic methods of farming such as natural fertilisers and insect control and not to use artificial fertilisers etc.

Some artificial fertilisers and weedkillers are however organic compounds (organic compounds are actually more common than non organic compounds by a ratio of 50:1)

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, The Johnster said:

what exactly is the non-organic wine that the description of organic wine inputes the existence of?

"Organic wine" is very much a real thing. It does not have added preservatives (like Sulphites) that are added to most mass produced wines.

It is also produced from grapes that are grown with "organic" techniques - no chemical fertilizers, no fungicides, no pesticides, no GMO grapes, etc.

• Informative/Useful 1

14 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

I think someone was amused by the hidden rude word.

So the Beavis and Butthead response to words like analyze (analyse if you prefer)? That's a bit sophomoric. "Artisanal" was spelled correctly. I did check to make sure there wasn't a spelling error.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

"Organic wine" is very much a real thing.

Organic* might be a real wine but the terminology "organic" is plain wrong as organic refers generally to anything containing C + H compounds as many artificial compounds do, which would not be considered OK by organic farmers.

*Actually had a very nice bottle of Nero d'Avola (Sicilian) at lunchtime and it was organic & vegan! It also had a 80% recycled bottle, 100% recycled label and was produced with zero carbon emissions (it said)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:
10 hours ago, The Johnster said:

"Organic wine" is very much a real thing.

All wine, without exception, is organic, it can't help it, and is a 'real thing' only in that sense, and at least not imaginary.  There is not, and cannot be, any such thing as inorganic wine.  What is meant, but not stated, in the whacky sign in the photo, is 'organically produced wine', but I find the inference that other cafes might sell inorganic wine amusing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, melmerby said:

Organic* might be a real wine but the terminology "organic" is plain wrong as organic refers generally to anything containing C + H compounds as many artificial compounds do, which would not be considered OK by organic farmers.

*Actually had a very nice bottle of Nero d'Avola (Sicilian) at lunchtime and it was organic & vegan! It also had a 80% recycled bottle, 100% recycled label and was produced with zero carbon emissions (it said)

Surely the fermentation process gives off carbon dioxide?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Offset by the carbon dioxide absorbed in photosynthesis by the vines.

CO2/O production in photosynthesis is more or less balanced over the daily cycle, so there's no offset there.

All this "zero carbon emmisions" accounting stuff is a bit smoke and mirrors, it all depends on how far along the production chain things are taken.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1