The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, TheQ said:

I have no idea what you mean about  "obfuscated the quotes" I just inserted the answers to your incorrect assertions.

The Broads ARE unique, the Broads authority have responsibilty for navigation maintenance repair and continuation  , no National Park Authority has that.

So how about this.

THE BROADS has never been designated as a National Park under the National Parks and Access to the Countryside Act 1949.

and

"..for the avoidance of any doubt, the broads are not legally a national park and do not come under the national park legislation, and nor will they."
Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for DEFRA (Hansard 2015)

The Lake District National park is responsible for navigation on the Lakes in the Lake District and control where certain activities can take place.

They have imposed a 10 nautical mph limit, much to the chagrin of water skiers on Windermere, with 6 in some areas. They, AFAIK, are also responsible for the upkeep so that navigation may take place. Not as extensive as the Broads Authority but it certainly covers navigation of waterways.

As to the Broads being an official National Park, I never said they were (as designated by the act) but have been accepted into the fold by the body that oversees them, National Parks England. The officers of said company have to be officers of a National Park as designated by  "Statute or Legistation"

They are even shown on their website:

https://www.nationalparksengland.org.uk/home/how-we-work

It's all playing with words and pretty pointless IMHO

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

One of the reasons we are against the broads authority is their ever increasing charges from £14.50 for the smallest child's plastic dinghy or paddle board for 7 days on the broads to £2748 for a 45ft hire motor boat for a year on the broads. They've been increasing these rates above inflation almost every year since they took over and diverting some of the money to non navigation uses.

The chairman of BA has regularly tried to make the broads into a national park and cannot be trusted. See today's local paper. https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/local-council/police-probe-into-broads-authority-8362140

Next year my bill from BA Will probably be over £1000.

Edited by TheQ
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I think you will find that a lot of people in National Parks, official or otherwise, end up paying more for things due to the action of the controlling authority.

In Cumbria the planning rules get a bit silly.

In Keswick, where I lived, there was a Conservation area as well as being in the NP.

That meant any planning had to be approved by the Local Authority Allerdale, meet the conservation requirements and also meet the requirements of the NP, which weren't always the same.

Most of Allerdale was outside the NP and a lot was industrial (Mines, Steel, Ports) or post industrial (Business parks).

Worcestershire is so much simpler..........

Edited by melmerby
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, martin_wynne said:

oaps_playing.jpg.8fb26326c9b60b242927ed2a7029e82b.jpg

Careful Mr Wynne, I am not a child or a chicken!!......Come to think of it, I can't remember where the road actually is:scratchhead::scratchhead::jester:

Mike

• Like 1
  • Funny 5