The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

45 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Well it doesn't mention unicycles.

image.png.45fd10ec84f71217902b17546fd3b8e5.png

Hi Phil,

The sign in the picture doesn't actually mention anything at all for should you check a copy of The Oxford Guide to Style you may find that said sign is indeed a sign, as opposed to a notice of instruction, for it is not written in English. It is in fact nothing more than a collection of capital letters arranged to fool those that are unable to read written English.

Gibbo.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

16 hours ago, TheQ said:

So what's wrong with this sign? The Blue one at the bottom...

The US would be able to come up with a suitable designation besides "National Park".

Options might include, (with their agency in parentheses):

• National Scenic Area (usually Forest Service / USFS or Bureau of Land Management / BLM)
  • National Recreation Area (National Park Service / NPS, USFS or BLM)
  • National Seashore / National Lakeshore (NPS) 
  • National Monument (NPS, USFS, BLM)

Probably not:

• National Wilderness Area 
  • National Memorial (NPS)

And that's just Federally administered areas, not counting State Parks!

They would all get brown signage.

image.png.8a57b9749f591e0cc0fa5716f1cc4d0a.png

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The US would be able to come up with a suitable designation besides "National Park".

Options might include, (with their agency in parentheses):

• National Scenic Area (usually Forest Service / USFS or Bureau of Land Management / BLM)
  • National Recreation Area (National Park Service / NPS, USFS or BLM)
  • National Seashore / National Lakeshore (NPS) 
  • National Monument (NPS, USFS, BLM)

Probably not:

• National Wilderness Area 
  • National Memorial (NPS)

And that's just Federally administered areas, not counting State Parks!

They would all get brown signage.

image.png.8a57b9749f591e0cc0fa5716f1cc4d0a.png

Australia would use the brown signage too.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, melmerby said:

There is a defined procedure to go through to attain National Park status.

However the Broads were not created in the usual way. They were created by a separate Act of Parliament passed in 1988 and have been given the same powers as the normal National Parks. They are generally considered to be a National Park, the eleventh in datal order of the 13 in England.

Look on the National Parks website, the Broads are there with all the others

I'm just amazed at how few National Parks there are. In Australia there are hundreds (although strictly speaking they are managed by state governments, so aren't strictly NATIONAL).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_national_parks_of_Australia

Although given Australia's reluctance to accept Climate Change and is seemingly to come to Glasgow without a 'Net Zero' plan, will it matter?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, kevinlms said:

I'm just amazed at how few National Parks there are. In Australia there are hundreds (although strictly speaking they are managed by state governments, so aren't strictly NATIONAL).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_national_parks_of_Australia

Although given Australia's reluctance to accept Climate Change and is seemingly to come to Glasgow without a 'Net Zero' plan, will it matter?

Some reports in the UK suggest Oz isn't coming to COP 26 at all, due to being criticised on it's climate stance.

In the UK there are also Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) & Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSI) as well as Marine Conservation Areas.

The problem with the UK is setting up an area that doesn't have too large a settlement in it, even the current National Parks have some sizeable towns & industry in them.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

Well, it is the Whacky Signs thread...

- but I don't have a pic

-it isn't really a sign,

but I can't find anywhere better to post it and it really must be whacky?

I took the wife to the hospital today for a checkup, whilst in reception she said she was thirsty, though the Costa in there was shut (Covid?). However there was a machine dispensing snacks and drinks. She wanted water, not a can of fizzy.

500 ml bottle of water - how much do you think it was?

wait for it

£5.00p !

How whacky is that! She did without btw.

Stewart

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

Well, it is the Whacky Signs thread...

- but I don't have a pic

-it isn't really a sign,

but I can't find anywhere better to post it and it really must be whacky?

I took the wife to the hospital today for a checkup, whilst in reception she said she was thirsty, though the Costa in there was shut (Covid?). However there was a machine dispensing snacks and drinks. She wanted water, not a can of fizzy.

500 ml bottle of water - how much do you think it was?

wait for it

£5.00p !

How whacky is that! She did without btw.

Stewart

They've got to make up the lost revenue from car parking somehow.

:yes:

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 27/09/2021 at 16:21, melmerby said:

There is a defined procedure to go through to attain National Park status.

However the Broads were not created in the usual way. They were created by a separate Act of Parliament passed in 1988 and have been given the same powers as the normal National Parks. No they weren't given the same powers as the National parks. They were given the responsibilties for navigation. That is the legal powers of a Port and harbour authority. They are generally considered to be a National Park, the eleventh in datal order of the 13 in England. Not by anyone who lives here, other than conservationists who want to destroy the broads and turn into a wildlife haven with no respect for the fact the broads are man made and need to be man managed and used to keep it that way.

Look on the National Parks website, the Broads are there with all the others That doesn't make it right

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, TheQ said:

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

I like the way you obfuscated the quotes so that you can't be re-quoted.

Very democratic -not.

Just because the people that live there don't think it's a National Park doesn't mean it isn't.

All National Parks have conflicts between conservation and maintaining the status quo.

I lived in the the Lake District National Park and can assure you that most of what you see is man made and needs manual intervention to keep it that way. The Broads are not unique.

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, melmerby said:

I like the way you obfuscated the quotes so that you can't be re-quoted.

Very democratic -not.

Just because the people that live there don't think it's a National Park doesn't mean it isn't.

All National Parks have conflicts between conservation and maintaining the status quo.

I lived in the the Lake District National Park and can assure you that most of what you see is man made and needs manual intervention to keep it that way. The Broads are not unique.

I have no idea what you mean about  "obfuscated the quotes" I just inserted the answers to your incorrect assertions.

The Broads ARE unique, the Broads authority have responsibilty for navigation maintenance repair and continuation  , no National Park Authority has that.

So how about this.

THE BROADS has never been designated as a National Park under the National Parks and Access to the Countryside Act 1949.

and

"..for the avoidance of any doubt, the broads are not legally a national park and do not come under the national park legislation, and nor will they."
Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for DEFRA (Hansard 2015)

• Informative/Useful 1