The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

Veering steadily away from whacky signs I use Tesco mobile and a couple of months back had a problem so rung their tech support number. After explaining the problem and being put on hold for a bit their techy guy then reeled off a solution to me. Hold on I said to him, that's virtually word for word of a solution I found on line that didn't work. He then sheepishly admitted that they regularly search online for answers.

Suffice it to say I managed to sort it myself eventually.

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

On 10/05/2021 at 20:23, pH said:

There’s a term for that here in BC - ‘blacktop politics’:

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/b-c/spending-suggests-b-c-liberals-are-playing-blacktop-politics-1.2483988

There is a book of the same title about BC highway policies.  The practice extends all the way to federal highway money in BC- where we got the 3 roundabout 2 bridge monstrosity in a vain attempt to hold Sidney/Gulf Islands as a Conservative riding...they lost to the Greens  (and everyone who uses the roundabouts gets lost too !)

James

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, melmerby said:

Why advertise that they can answer any technical questions about stuff then?

Because, like all honest law abiding business people, they are happy to lie through their teeth to get you through the door so that they can sell stuff at you, being of course careful to structure the lie in a way that is next to impossible for you to prove.   

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

9 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

image.png.1bd0e58a2fa83986d3a64f8c22cd89d2.png

I lived next door to someone who did that for a living, although he didn't advertise the fact, like the above.  He used to sell abroad, too, which was his eventual downfall.  The Customs, at the border of one country he sent to, noticed the difference in age and wood in a rather expensive item.  The fine and reputation damage from the court case, didn't do him any good.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, jcredfer said:

I lived next door to someone who did that for a living, although he didn't advertise the fact, like the above.  He used to sell abroad, too, which was his eventual downfall.  The Customs, at the border of one country he sent to, noticed the difference in age and wood in a rather expensive item.  The fine and reputation damage from the court case, didn't do him any good.

Should have described himself as an antique furniture restorer but that would be far less profitable.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
On 14/09/2021 at 00:33, PhilJ W said:

image.png.e6ee3599e766b61cb852ef185dbe26c6.png

I see the humour in it but it's actually correct. The vast majority of road crashes are caused by drivers - human error. It's why I dislike describing such incidents as 'accidents'. Most are not accidental, they are the result of poor decision making. Calling it an 'accident' implies that 'these things just happen' and absolves the driver(s) therefore reducing the incentive to modify behaviour.

Edited by AndrueC
  • Like 3
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AndrueC said:

I see the humour in it but it's actually correct. The vast majority of road crashes are caused by drivers - human error. It's why I dislike describing such incidents as 'accidents'. Most are not accidental, they are the result of poor decision making. Calling it an 'accident' implies that 'these things just happen' and absolves the driver(s) therefore reducing the incentive to modify behaviour.

That is how it is in Germany. Most 'accidents' are caused by one or more people breaking a law. All actions on the road are prescribed by laws rather than a wishy-washy Highway Code.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2