The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Pardon me, but that's rubbish, it's up to the driver to shut the f**k up and concentrate on his driving, not anybody else.

I'm sorry I crashed whilst going over the speed limit officer, the person I was talking didn't realise I was doing 120 up to a roundabout. Yeah, right!

Mike.

Agreed

If someone is talking to me whilst I am driving and I need more concentration, I just blank them out, until I can continue the conversation safely.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Agreed

If someone is talking to me whilst I am driving and I need more concentration, I just blank them out, until I can continue the conversation safely.

And then your wife says

You've not been listening to a word I've said have you?

But I always get the last word.

Yes dear

• Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 hours ago, Kris said:

Just seen this historic sign that sold a couple of years ago. How meanings can change over time! 

411704770_Screenshot2021-06-18at22_06_31.png.05ed0d6668e9156d940de41bbbd1f602.png

Whilst my cat adores Fish4Cats, she does not think a sign is worth 3 years worth of cat food!

• Funny 3

11 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Pardon me, but that's rubbish, it's up to the driver to shut the f**k up and concentrate on his driving, not anybody else.

I'm sorry I crashed whilst going over the speed limit officer, the person I was talking didn't realise I was doing 120 up to a roundabout. Yeah, right!

Mike.

Proper research says it may not be rubbish:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/23711361_Driving_while_conversing_Cell_phones_that_distract_and_passengers_who_react

The research systematically compared the driving performance and conversational patterns of drivers speaking with in-car passengers, hands-free cell phones, and remote passengers who could see the driver's current driving situation (via a window into a driving simulator). Driving performance suffered during cell phone and remote passenger conversations as compared with in-car passenger conversations and no-conversation controls in terms of their approach speeds, reaction times, and avoidance of road and traffic hazards. Of particular interest was the phenomenon of conversation suppression, the tendency for passengers to slow their rates of conversation as the driver approached a hazard. On some occasions these passengers also offered alerting comments, warning the driver of an approaching hazard. Neither conversation suppression nor alerting comments were present during cell phone conversations.

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/12/01/chatty-driving-phones-vs-passengers/

Researchers at the University of Utah found that all conversations are not created equal. There is something uniquely distracting about talking on the phone when you’re behind the wheel; conversations with people inside the car are far less distracting to drivers. Unlike cell phone callers, chatty passengers instinctively stop talking when driving conditions change, and they offer an extra set of eyes to alert drivers to nearly-missed exits or erratic drivers.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

"...is that your left or my left dear?"

A commonly heard phrase when I was growing up with dad driving and mum navigating!

Kev.

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mike.

14 hours ago, melmerby said:

Agreed

Nonsense.

It can be difficult to concentrate with someone talking whether they are in the vehicle or speaking on the phone.  The driver keeping quiet is not enough. Everyone must be quiet.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Ah, experts.

Say no more!

Mike.

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. See example. :)

Would you prefer the opinion of someone who is not an expert?

Why not fire your doctor and ask an non expert next time you feel ill? :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

15 hours ago, Kris said:

Just seen this historic sign that sold a couple of years ago. How meanings can change over time! 

411704770_Screenshot2021-06-18at22_06_31.png.05ed0d6668e9156d940de41bbbd1f602.png

The companion signs have the word “SPRATTS” to make up a dog.

The strapline being:-

Spratts builds up a dog.

1834500A-5BBE-479D-A1D3-17DD2AABCA40.jpeg.8195adb776c73538fa9c1f47b70da3f4.jpeg

814D4BA2-B50C-48B6-AB42-5E796481C438.jpeg.a2adfa744785397c750797e7415d6b5a.jpeg

Then there is the bird food…

4626D8BE-7FC2-415E-BCDB-C1792C196DFD.jpeg.4df176e5e2fbe9d0eda76fc14e29b306.jpeg

Then more versions of the cat food signs…

F456866D-BCAD-4F85-93C0-29AB8E11A6D8.jpeg.c5ade1398cd7412f3ef66c6acdc00255.jpeg

78B40075-37CF-4B73-8565-9B862E8F3DA5.jpeg.bdbcb628425c91975d12ee1af9609fa2.jpeg

Edited by Ruffnut Thorston
Typo
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, and the best. See example. :)

Would you prefer the opinion of someone who is not an expert?

I have experienced enough experts in my lifetime to be able to identify a proper one.

I'll mention to my doctor that he is "only" an expert next time I see him.

Mike.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I have experienced enough experts in my lifetime to be able to identify a proper one.

I'll mention to my doctor that he is "only" an expert next time I see him.

Mike.

Wrong again. No one mentioned he was ""only" an expert "apart from you. Since your ability in recognising experts seems to be demonstrably pretty dire so far, it makes sense that you appear to feel expert at recognising experts...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

1 minute ago, Titan said:

Wrong again. No one mentioned he was ""only" an expert "apart from you. Since your ability in recognising experts seems to be demonstrably pretty dire so far, it makes sense that you appear to feel expert at recognising experts...

Really?

Mike.

9 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Really?

Mike.

Yes really, the non expert was not referring to the doctor.  I suppose the only question now is are you going to post yet another example of your inability to recognise an expert, throw your toys out of the pram or sulk...

Edited by Titan
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

You she doesn't argue with the silly cow on the satnav who wants to take you some other turning?

My misses argues the point when we have to go along 2 sides of a square and tells me that she would have gone the other way.

I tell her that she can go whichever way she likes when she drives, but I'll drive my preferred route!

The exception is when I'm driving and we are running late for a Dr's appointment (her fault we're late), then I'll go whichever way I'm told, even if I suspect a different way is quicker. Not worth the 'discussion'!

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

Always knew it as the ex referring to an unknown quantity, and spurt, the drip under pressure. Maybe one of the many can correct the grammar, too. Generally, if someone is referred to as an expert, then they have no other qualifications.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, raymw said:

Generally, if someone is referred to as an expert, then they have no other qualifications.

Interesting.

I would rate the late Allan Downes as an expert on model buildings, Tony Wright an expert on making model locos, Graham Muz & Chris Tooth experts on the Southern Railway and Andy York on photography. 

I doubt any of them ( and many, many others) have got 'qualifications' in those fields, but would we doubt their expertise?

• Like 3
  • Agree 7