The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

On 13/06/2021 at 12:06, Ohmisterporter said:

I worked for a firm that provide free tea and coffee for staff. Much appreciated until the management announced the taxman had decided free drinks were a taxable item and we would all be liable to pay the tax bill by equal shares. It was quickly decided we would abandon the free drinks.  To this day I am convinced that it was a management ploy to save money.

Yep, I reckon the company was trying it on. Surely provision of drinks, at least, should come under 'Staff Welfare'. Except in the places where there was an outside trolley service,or vending machine, I didn't have to pay for tea, coffee, or anything. I nearly always provided my own lunch, though!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, melmerby said:

I never had tea and coffee provided by any employer, neither did my wife.

I wonder whether it is a modern innovation so that when you question their pitiful wages your employer can say "but we provide free tea and coffee"

:jester:

I always had coffee/biscuits/cakes/cold drinks/meals etc provided by my employer, one advantage of being a plumber!

Mike.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

2 minutes ago, phil_sutters said:

As if you haven't already found that the HGVs heading towards Newhaven port are heading straight towards you, as you head north over a mile from the ferry port gates......

A bit late to find out.jpg

I don't think this sign is particularly wacky. There are similar signs on the road out of my nearest international airport. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, DavidB-AU said:

I don't think this sign is particularly wacky. There are similar signs on the road out of my nearest international airport. 

It is the fact that you have already travelled over a mile on a busy A road with a lot of HGVs that makes the sign seem a bit superfluous. The message is not in itself wacky just the siting.

I have Google street-viewed my way from inside the port to this sign and it appears to be the only one giving this advice. That is unless one was obscured by a passing HGV as the Google car went past. There isn't any such instruction on the inside of the port entrance/exit.

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, DavidB-AU said:

As is tourist spots like The Great Ocean Road, where apparently it is notorious for those from overseas, to be driving a rental vehicle. You'd think the location of the driving controls would be a big hint, considering that LHD vehicles are an absolute rarity, in Australia. You can go for weeks without seeing one, then they are likely to be a recent import of a muscle car from the 60s or 70s.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

As if you haven't already found that the HGVs heading towards Newhaven port are heading straight towards you, as you head north over a mile from the ferry port gates......

A bit late to find out.jpg

Since taking my Tom-Tom satnav to the States, it tells me this every time I use it now.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

7 hours ago, MartynJPearson said:

image.png.0065e31cb6ad6219d7fd96ca25ad84a6.png

This one is in Langar, Nottinghamshire. Probably more like 80 miles from a port!

Worryingly, it is at the entrance to an industrial estate where the bus company that does my daughter's school bus is based. Hope it's not their drivers that need the reminder :o

Any US bases nearby?

They have them near bases to remind the Yanks. Unfortunately some don't take a blind bit of notice like the "expletive" woman who hit that poor lad on his bike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Any US bases nearby?

They have them near bases to remind the Yanks. Unfortunately some don't take a blind bit of notice like the "expletive" woman who hit that poor lad on his bike.

The council has now painted direction arrows on the road outside that base. I drive that road fairly frequently on my way to a local golf course.

If you've driven on an opposing side road network and never ever drove for a few seconds on the wrong side (which is about all she did) when exiting a junction then you must be some kind of saint. I even did it once in the centre of Kettering at some traffic lights.

My Kettering incident (which occurred at night when no-one was around, many, many years ago) was gross negligence. Having being trained to drive on the LHS I had no excuse. It would be reasonable to punish me for such a transgression because I should be expected to know better.

But an RHS trained driver temporarily reverting to their original training is an unfortunate but understandable human mistake. It shouldn't be treated the same way.

Yes she should have stayed to face the courts (who based on other cases would have been lenient because of her prior training) but we don't actually know that she chose to leave. It's possible that her husband's job meant that it was US policy to immediately recall both of them rather than risk her getting into the hands of foreign police authorities.

So it seems to me that the public furore has done more harm than good. All it has done is cost a lot of money in legal fees and pretty much ensured that she was never going to be extradited here because the chances of a 'fair trial' were about zero.

Edited by AndrueC
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

Yes she should have stayed to face the courts (who based on other cases would have been lenient because of her prior training) but we don't actually know that she chose to leave. It's possible that her husband's job meant that it was US policy to immediately recall both of them rather than risk her getting into the hands of foreign police authorities.

So it seems to me that the public furore has done more harm than good. All it has done is cost a lot of money in legal fees and pretty much ensured that she was never going to be extradited here because the chances of a 'fair trial' were about zero.

Without taking this too far off topic, the main issue with this case is that Diplomatic immunity was claimed when it did not apply. The lady in question had been asked to remain in the UK until investigations had concluded, but the US administration at the time did not believe that justice applied to them when overseas.  

All the family want is for someone to be held accountable, they don't believe she should face prison time but she should say 'sorry' in a court of law.

As for a few seconds on the wrong side of the road, she had actually covered some distance before the collision occurred.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, chris p bacon said:

As for a few seconds on the wrong side of the road, she had actually covered some distance before the collision occurred.

Judging from where the flowers were placed it was only about a hundred yards I thought.

But yeah a sad case. It just seems to me that furore over it has made things worse and calling her names or labelling her 'evil' is not justified.

Edited by AndrueC
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

Judging from where the flowers were placed it was only about a hundred yards I thought.

But yeah a sad case. It just seems to me that furore over it has made things worse and calling her names or labelling her 'evil' is not justified.

The displeasure has almost certainly been expressed because she did a vanishing trick, no other reason.

We have our own example in Australia, an Indian Puneet Puneet, who did a runner after having purchased a friends passport and fled back to India, after a hit & run, whilst driving at double the speed limit, while drunk and on L plates and killed someone.

He escaped, because he claims he wouldn't get a fair trial, as Australia 'is a racist country'.

It's people like him and scam call centres that give the Indians a reputation.

Here's an old article, he has been found and arrested in India (apparently at his own wedding!), but is still stalling to avoid extradition.

https://9now.nine.com.au/a-current-affair/runaway-driver-puneet-puneet-missing-days-before-extradition-hearing/0f2fccdb-4fde-4f2b-bc33-2f8f67f49cfc

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Any US bases nearby?

Been there done that, when I visited the US on a 'fly-drive' holiday many years ago I left a filling station, I didn't drive on the wrong side merely looked the wrong way. A blast on the horn of a passing car soon made me realise my mistake. There was a similar accident here in the UK where a car driven by a USAF civilian employee was in collision with a coach resulting in a couple of fatalities. He at least stayed to face the music and didn't flee claiming diplomatic immunity.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, AndrueC said:

If you've driven on an opposing side road network and never ever drove for a few seconds on the wrong side (which is about all she did) when exiting a junction then you must be some kind of saint.

Indeed. I learned to drive in Australia, right before leaving for the United States where I have lived since. In that time I have also driven in Australia and the UK. 

From personal experience, whether the vehicle has right hand or left hand drive makes absolutely no difference in terms of remembering what side of the road you should be on. When no traffic is about, it requires more concentration. I have momentarily found myself on the wrong side of the road in Australia, the UK and even the US.

The biggest issue I have with right-hand drive is that I find myself using the windscreen wipers when I mean to indicate a turn frustratingly often.

Roundabouts are becoming more common in the US. Having grown up with left turns to enter a roundabout, and even though I drive every day in the US, I have to concentrate to remember to turn right to enter a US roundabout. It's not automatic.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 minute ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Roundabouts are becoming more common in the US. Having grown up with left turns to enter a roundabout, and even though I drive every day in the US, I have to concentrate to remember to turn right to enter a US roundabout. It's not automatic.

Funny you should say that! Having lived and driven in Canada for 39 years, I went the wrong way round a roundabout last week, fortunately without any consequences.

It was a small, low ‘traffic-calming’ roundabout in a residential area. I approached along a road with cars parked solidly along both sides, leaving only a single narrow lane in the middle of the road. I wanted to go along the street to the right. I remember it was a definite decision to go round clockwise, but can’t explain it.

• Like 3