The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

26 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

Something that continues to annoy me. My profession needs more female programmers. In thirty years I've only known two and one of those was working for another company.

I find that absolutely astonishing! I worked for 35 years in software development and maintenance, in the UK and Canada. I would say that programmers and system analysts I worked with were roughly divided 70% male, 30% female. Now, there was a decreasing percentage of females as you went up the supervisory/management grades, but that IMO is a different problem.

I can’t say I found females better or worse as a group than males - both could range from brilliant to incompetent. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

13 hours ago, Darius43 said:

“Chomping Beavers” is a great name for a layout - could be a BLT set in the Chilterns or somewhere.

Cheers

Darius

Or a band...

steve

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, pH said:

I find that absolutely astonishing! I worked for 35 years in software development and maintenance, in the UK and Canada. I would say that programmers and system analysts I worked with were roughly divided 70% male, 30% female.

If the proportion was even close to that it'd be nice.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1126823/worldwide-developer-gender/#:~:text=According to a global software,of the software development job.

https://www.frgconsulting.com/blog/female-developers-workforce/

It's a pretty depressing statistic. Now to be fair I haven't had all that many jobs (I prefer to stay in one place) but you're the first person who's told me they have worked with significant number of female programmers.

As for competency of course I have so little experience of female programmers that any opinion I have is irrelevant. But then you get studies like this just annoy the hell out of me:

https://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/data-mine/2016/02/18/study-shows-women-are-better-coders-but-only-when-gender-is-hidden

But I can't help wondering - what percentage of railway modellers are women?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

If the proportion was even close to that it'd be nice.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1126823/worldwide-developer-gender/#:~:text=According to a global software,of the software development job.

https://www.frgconsulting.com/blog/female-developers-workforce/

It's a pretty depressing statistic. Now to be fair I haven't had all that many jobs (I prefer to stay in one place) but you're the first person who's told me they have worked with significant number of female programmers.

As for competency of course I have so little experience of female programmers that any opinion I have is irrelevant. But then you get studies like this just annoy the hell out of me:

https://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/data-mine/2016/02/18/study-shows-women-are-better-coders-but-only-when-gender-is-hidden

On one project I had a team of twelve programmers, all women.  All based in Bangalore.

P.S. Not very whacky these signs.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AndrueC said:

I know of several female railway modellers, there's quite a few here on RMweb. We currently have none in our model railway club but over the years we have had a couple of female members.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, pH said:

I find that absolutely astonishing! I worked for 35 years in software development and maintenance, in the UK and Canada. I would say that programmers and system analysts I worked with were roughly divided 70% male, 30% female. Now, there was a decreasing percentage of females as you went up the supervisory/management grades, but that IMO is a different problem.

I can’t say I found females better or worse as a group than males - both could range from brilliant to incompetent. 

That seems pretty high - From my experience (14 years) I've known 9 women engineers (software developers, test engineers and PMs) out of around 80-90 total - so around 10%, which seems to fit with the general statistic. The proportion of female placement students we've had has been much higher though, >40%. There were also a few women on my course at University, but all were international students and left after graduating.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Did they come from Wideopen (suburb of Newcastle, just north of Gosforth) ?

You'll Pity Me if I say I don't know.

(village just north of Durham City)

• Like 2

On 08/04/2021 at 17:04, melmerby said:

He used to keep some hard to find records.

Some years ago I heard a piece of renaissance/early music on a BBC TV programme that I didn't recognise.

I rang the BBC to find out what it was and spoke to the programme's producer, who told me the title & album it was from.

I then tried to buy a copy and found that the shop in Needless Alley was the only place that kept a copy.

Wasn't this piece was it?

Have heard it many times but thinking the only way to figure out what it is may be a FOI request :/  Even emailed a very well renown music producer who has no idea :(

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Have heard it many times but thinking the only way to figure out what it is may be a FOI request :/  Even emailed a very well renown music producer who has no idea :(

No.

That sounds like something modern written as background music!

The piece I was looking for was an excerpt from "Tanzmusik der Praetorius Zeit". (Dance music from the time of Michael Praetorius)

It is an album mainly of music from a collection published by Praetorius in 1612.

The album is from 1960.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
57 minutes ago, melmerby said:

No.

That sounds like something modern written as background music!

The piece I was looking for was an excerpt from "Tanzmusik der Praetorius Zeit". (Dance music from the time of Michael Praetorius)

It is an album mainly of music from a collection published by Praetorius in 1612.

The album is from 1960.

Crikey!!!

Googled the title and year and found this excerpt on YT

A very archaic interpretation. 

Mind you, when I was into early music, our performances in the early 80s were just as bad!

Here's a more recent (90s?) approach - more the Renaissance Big Band sound by Phillip Pickett and the New London Consort.

I was looking for the David Munrow version, which is early 70s and slots in between the two above.  However, the LP "Michael Praetorius, Dances from Terpsichore and Motets" seems to be posted as single tracks rather than a continuous LP/CD. However, listening to it direct on YT seems to link them together!

Hope there's some help in that lot!  :whistle:

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Shazam says that is Prologue 2 by  Ola Strandh

It isn't but it has the same rythym structure so I wonder if the piece you posted is a 'remake' on different instruments.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, martin_wynne said:

More than 93% of Australians can't use an apostrophe correctly.

Which may or may not be accurate, but surely "it's time to get organised" and "you'll always" are grammatically correct?

"Its" is the correct form for the possessive but not for it is time.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3