The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

This always amused me on Dutch cycle paths:

867484725_Wildroosters.jpg.9e98cff21a5c0b13f8901326a0ffa89b.jpg

I was looking out for viciously pecked ankles...

Unfortunately it's "wild" as in animals and "rooster" = grid (like raster in computer graphics), so "cattle grid"

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 7

54 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Like a certain royal perhaps?

These overly broad generalizations tend to cut both ways.

I may have missed something in the vagaries of our most diligent Press and have noted mention of  Royal denial and even offers to answer questions on the subject, but no mention of diplomatic immunity - well, as yet...

On the other hand, there have been reports of a specific matter where a US person boarded a plane to return to the US, before an investigation was complete.  Diplomatic immunity would have protected the individual from the need for running away.

I have also been privy to some military offenders being "whisked back" to the US...  but with the prior arrangement with the UK authorities concerned and with the certain knowledge that a disgraced serviceman returned to the US to be "dealt with" by their system was not going to a bed of roses!  The simplicity of those situations is that an offence dealt with from within their own system would be easier to administer than a charge dealt with, from outside the system.  It depended on the offence and the final decision was with the Home Nation, what it was not, was an escape clause for the offender.

I see no Press reports of a similar arrangement for the civilian female, who took a flight...

Edited by jcredfer
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

... no mention of diplomatic immunity - well, as yet...

No, not specifically, though the net result of one prerogative versus another is the same. My point was more related to generalizations. Behaviour is rarely constrained by one nationality or another.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ozexpatriate said:

No, not specifically, though the net result of one prerogative versus another is the same. My point was more related to generalizations. Behaviour is rarely constrained by one nationality or another.

If the Press are to be believed, only one of the cases has claimed a prerogative, which, quite well, may be of dubious authenticity.  The other has denied the events and is awaiting response for an offer to discuss the events.  One took a flight while investigations were taking place, the other has only, relatively, recently been informed of accusations, so has not fled the scene.  Both specific events, but not connected to the generalisation referred to in Nearholmers comment, whereby the US has a trend to be reluctant {according to our Press} to comply with international agreements on requests for possible defendants being returned to the country where the offence may have been committed.

Like many other generalisations, best looked at in the broad view and with much care when applied to specific matters.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If you want a whacky one

image.png.4c8d8c40fb9e742d5ae546c34ae6405f.png

An oldie but...

(Evidently the residents weren't best pleased)

Edited by Hroth
Write 50 lines, "I cannot spell"...
  • Like 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

If you want a whacky one

An oldie but...

I've worked with a few of those.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Hroth said:

If you want a whacky one

An oldie but...

I hate to be obtuse, but just what is funny about that sign?

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

In the UK Bell End is slang for a stupid person.

Its a colloquial expression referring to a part of male anatomy, hence the above...

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

I did always wonder what the point of this is though....

There used to be a very good classical record shop in Needless Alley. Unfortunately the proprietor refused to believe that CDs would catch on.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Mark Saunders said:

Rather strangely he was right as vinyl has made a come back !

However still only selling a fraction of what CDs used to sell at their peak.

Can't understand the attraction of vinyl, even though I've still got a chunk of my collection and a half decent turntable. (Dual with Ortofon cartridge.)

In comparison the ones being sold to the new converts to vinyl are pants.

Distortion, noise & poor frequency response hardly add the the listening pleasure.:(

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

Yep. I did check before posting.

I did always wonder what the point of this is though....

spacer.png

By Birmingham New Street station.

From a book on Birmingham street names:

"Needless Alley B2
Dating from the early 18th century the name is probably a corruption of ‘Needlers’ Alley’."

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

There used to be a very good classical record shop in Needless Alley. Unfortunately the proprietor refused to believe that CDs would catch on.

He used to keep some hard to find records.

Some years ago I heard a piece of renaissance/early music on a BBC TV programme that I didn't recognise.

I rang the BBC to find out what it was and spoke to the programme's producer, who told me the title & album it was from.

I then tried to buy a copy and found that the shop in Needless Alley was the only place that kept a copy.

• Like 5