The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Whacky Signs.

Colin_McLeod

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

What if the tree is on the perimeter of the restricted area and can be shot at from a non trespassing position?

Mike.

Well clearly the sign applies to anyone wishing to pass it, not anyone who has yet to reach it. It would be a bit daft to place the sign inside the restricted area, so that it was necessary to trespass in order to read it.

Here in the UK our GOMLs tend to be less verbose -- two words will cover all eventualities:

keep_out.jpg.a636ffc85004c4ece8d75f7754df86a4.jpg

Martin.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, TT-Pete said:

Whenever me and a colleague found the stress of work a bit too much we would get the corporate MS Outlook address book up on screen and console ourselves with a good chortle at the fact that Mr & Mrs Janus had chosen to call their son Hugh...

There used to be a whole string of correspondents to the Terry Wogan breakfast radio show with similar names, some ruder, others just silly, like Angus McCoatup, Helen Back, Dan Gleebitz, Lou Smorrels, Edna Cloud. He used to pause when reading them or switch things around to make sure he was the right side of the line. "Mr Janus wrote in, or Hugh to his friends"

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, eastwestdivide said:

There used to be a whole string of correspondents to the Terry Wogan breakfast radio show with similar names, some ruder, others just silly, like Angus McCoatup, Helen Back, Dan Gleebitz, Lou Smorrels, Edna Cloud. He used to pause when reading them or switch things around to make sure he was the right side of the line. "Mr Janus wrote in, or Hugh to his friends"

I remember one sneaking through Terry and Paul Walters disintegrated into laughter.

One ofmy faves was Willie gofar and his round the world balloon trip only going high enough to push himself along with one foot and he could tie the balloon up and go home for tea on a night.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, TT-Pete said:

Whenever me and a colleague found the stress of work a bit too much we would get the corporate MS Outlook address book up on screen and console ourselves with a good chortle at the fact that Mr & Mrs Janus had chosen to call their son Hugh...

There used to be a police drama send up, on Australian TV.  The detectives name was Hugh Jarce.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

I remember one sneaking through Terry and Paul Walters disintegrated into laughter.

One ofmy faves was Willie gofar and his round the world balloon trip only going high enough to push himself along with one foot and he could tie the balloon up and go home for tea on a night.

Betty Swollox was mentioned on Steve Wright in the afternoon on Radio 1 many moons ago, and in a heatwave once, one of his characters recounted how he had shaved his wifes cat to cool her down!

Mike.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, kevinlms said:

There used to be a police drama send up, on Australian TV.  The detectives name was Hugh Jarce.

That was probably Bargearse which used footage from a 1970's police drama called Bluey, in which actor/comedian Leo "Lucky" Grill playing Det Sgt Bluey Hill.  Bargearse played on Lucky Grills (his stage name) size, with plenty of fat and f#rt jokes.  Paul Hogan used to do a sketch with Det Sgt Donger, who would use his beer gut to miscreants.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

6 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Shouldn't the sight have a 45degree mirror, half way around the curve?:jester:

They've got ones now that can see around corners. No mirrors needed.

No idea how they work though. They're the more sophisticated versions of Corner Shot. Special Ops only though.

These are the bog standard ones.

http://www.tacticalimports.ca/corner-shot-csm-p-386.html

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Brian Harrap said:

My favourite was hearing a noted cricket commentator (don't recall which one) informing us on the radio that the batsman was Holding the bowlers Willy

The all-time No1 Coleman Balls. I am fairly sure it was Brian Johnston. There was almost no commentary for the following five minutes as they all collapsed with laughter.

• Like 4
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Brian Harrap said:

My favourite was hearing a noted cricket commentator (don't recall which one) informing us on the radio that the batsman was Holding the bowlers Willy

Unfortunately, it appears it was never actually said. Even though I, like you, seem to remember it.

Though this was.

• Like 2